PDA

View Full Version : Night sweats - causes?

theriviera
03-17-2016, 03:19 PM
Has anyone gone through long periods of night sweats? I have been sweating buckets at night lately. I live in a mild climate and we never have the heat on. I have a pretty light weight down comforter with just a flat sheet.

I've traveled over the last couple of weeks and the same thing happened while I was out of town.

I'm 38 and have an IUD, so I don't think it's perimenopause. Regardless, I'll bring it up at my annual with my OB/GYN next month. Is there anything else I should be considering?

scrooks
03-17-2016, 03:21 PM
How long ago was your baby born? I think I remember having postpartum night sweats.

theriviera
03-17-2016, 03:24 PM
I should update my siggy - she's almost 2!

It's like post partum night sweats. I even had to change my pajamas last night!

♥ms.pacman♥
03-17-2016, 04:15 PM
Wow I was going to post the same question! Ive woken uo drenched the past 3 nights (last night i had to change twice..at 2am and again at 4am..my shirt was soaked. I'm 37 and my youngest is 5 so I doubt its hormonal. I have been sick and recovering from a nasty cold but I don't get why the night sweats..I no longer have a fever!! It is beyond annoying.

megs4413
03-17-2016, 04:17 PM
weird, I have also been having night sweats. I'm 32 and my youngest is 2. I actually have been assuming that it IS hormonal since it reminds me so much of post-partum sweating. I haven't been sick or anything.

chlobo
03-17-2016, 04:19 PM
Any chance you could have a tick born illness? Night sweats is a symptom of babesia.

almostmom
03-17-2016, 04:29 PM
I actually posted about this about a month ago. You can get your thyroid levels checked, but mine are fine. I find that no matter what type of down, I sweat under it. I love the feeling and warmth of down, but I just cannot sleep under it under any circumstances! For some reason, fleece blankets have turned out to be fine for me - go figure. So you may need to try out some different bedding. One person who replied to my thread said she and DH have different bedding on the same bed, because he is cold, and she sweats if she has too much! I realized that I sweat in the winter, but never in the summer (and we don't have AC!), which is what alerted me to the type of covers (I use a thin coverlet in summer). So try using just a blanket, or a sheet and a coverlet. One person suggested wearing more clothes to bed, because when she wears less, she puts more covers on and sweats! While I love to sleep in very little or nothing at all, I've found that keeping some clothes on does help me keep off my comforter. I did buy another, lighter ( I thought) comforter from Costco, but I don't think it is much lighter than what I had, and I'm still sweating some. I do find that even though I am on the pill, so my hormones should be in check, I sweat much more the week before my period. Not sure why.
It is a really annoying thing, waking up sweating, and then being cold because you're wet. I know! But I do think that the type of covers makes a difference. Just wish you didn't have to buy them to figure out which was best!

catsnkid
03-17-2016, 04:46 PM
Ugh, this is happening to me too lately, it seemed it was worse in the winter. I usually wake up at about 5 a.m. because I'm freezing.

solsister
03-17-2016, 05:06 PM
I actually posted about this about a month ago. You can get your thyroid levels checked, but mine are fine. I find that no matter what type of down, I sweat under it. I love the feeling and warmth of down, but I just cannot sleep under it under any circumstances! For some reason, fleece blankets have turned out to be fine for me - go figure. So you may need to try out some different bedding. One person who replied to my thread said she and DH have different bedding on the same bed, because he is cold, and she sweats if she has too much! I realized that I sweat in the winter, but never in the summer (and we don't have AC!), which is what alerted me to the type of covers (I use a thin coverlet in summer). So try using just a blanket, or a sheet and a coverlet. One person suggested wearing more clothes to bed, because when she wears less, she puts more covers on and sweats! While I love to sleep in very little or nothing at all, I've found that keeping some clothes on does help me keep off my comforter. I did buy another, lighter ( I thought) comforter from Costco, but I don't think it is much lighter than what I had, and I'm still sweating some. I do find that even though I am on the pill, so my hormones should be in check, I sweat much more the week before my period. Not sure why.
It is a really annoying thing, waking up sweating, and then being cold because you're wet. I know! But I do think that the type of covers makes a difference. Just wish you didn't have to buy them to figure out which was best!

I bolded up above. What you wrote is a clear indicator that hormones are out of balance. If you are noticing it more during the week before your period, it's hormonal at that time. I am 50, and just in the last year, have started with night sweats the week before my period. It's when estrogen drops, I think, or progesterone, I can't remember. It's hard to keep our crazy hormones balanced, even when on synthetic hormones, or maybe even more so. I'm not sure, but I do know that perimenopause has been hell for me.

niccig
03-17-2016, 09:36 PM
I bolded up above. What you wrote is a clear indicator that hormones are out of balance. If you are noticing it more during the week before your period, it's hormonal at that time. I am 50, and just in the last year, have started with night sweats the week before my period. It's when estrogen drops, I think, or progesterone, I can't remember. It's hard to keep our crazy hormones balanced, even when on synthetic hormones, or maybe even more so. I'm not sure, but I do know that perimenopause has been hell for me.

This must be it. It's been happening to me, a couple nights this week and a few weeks ago, which I bet was just before my period. I'm usually cold, so it's been unusual for me to get sweaty at night.

solsister
03-18-2016, 12:41 AM
As a perimenopausal woman, if I can do anything to help other women, it is to implore you to keep a health journal/calendar. I just jot down health stuff on my online calendar, like when I get migraines, night sweats, aches and pains (and lots more, I've got autoimmune stuff). I can type in ovarian pain, and all the dates will pop up. That way I can track if it there is a pattern or just random. It's how i figured out my migraines are hormonal, as well as the night heat/sweat thing.

pinkmomagain
03-18-2016, 07:03 AM
As a perimenopausal woman, if I can do anything to help other women, it is to implore you to keep a health journal/calendar. I just jot down health stuff on my online calendar, like when I get migraines, night sweats, aches and pains (and lots more, I've got autoimmune stuff). I can type in ovarian pain, and all the dates will pop up. That way I can track if it there is a pattern or just random. It's how i figured out my migraines are hormonal, as well as the night heat/sweat thing.

What app do you use for this? I think it's great you can sort by symptom.

solsister
03-18-2016, 06:30 PM
I just use my ical on my laptop. Im the least technological person around, and it works well for me. So easy.

Twoboos
03-19-2016, 08:52 AM
I also seem to get them if I have more than 1 glass of red wine. :(

They seem to have lessened lately. I will start paying more attention around my period!

theriviera
03-19-2016, 11:41 AM
The last 2 nights have been better. I've slept with only the flat sheet and a throw. It sucks because I love the feeling of the comforter. I need to find a really soft luxurious feeling blanket that can replace the comforter at night. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khalloc
03-19-2016, 02:01 PM
My coworkers sister was suffering from night sweats and attributed it to menopause and she ended up having Stage 4 lymphoma. So I wouldn't ignore it if the issue doesn't go away.

amandabea
03-19-2016, 05:28 PM
I was having nightsweats and also was having extra long periods and peeing all the time. Turns out my iud was bent. Once I had it removed all went back to normal.