PDA

View Full Version : Best cures for constipation post-colonoscopy?

american_mama
03-18-2016, 12:33 AM
My 20 year old nephew had a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago and was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. He has been very constipated ever since the test, and is getting poor information from his doctor. What are some good cures for constipation? His presenting problem was the reverse, so the poor kid has been unlucky in both directions.

I thought I'd read kiwi was really good. Other tips?

basilicali
03-18-2016, 01:58 AM
High fiber diet--prunes, plums, pears, but back on starch, so less bread, rice, potato, banana.
If that does not help Miralax, titrate to 1 soft BM per day.

essnce629
03-18-2016, 02:20 AM
It's looking like DS1 might have ulcerative colitis (repeat colonoscopy is next week), which is another type of inflammatory bowel disease similar to Crohn's. DS's GI doctor has had him on Miralax for over a year now. A cap a day so far, but wants his stool the consistency of applesauce (so that it doesn't scrape the bowel ulcerations) so has told us to increase to 1.5-2 caps a day if necessary.

KpbS
03-18-2016, 08:45 AM
Poor guy. In addition to the kiwi, pineapple and pears are good to get things going. I know some people also take aloe Vera, available at health food stores.

Has he called the Gi? I wouldn't do miralax without prior ok from the doctor/NP/nurse.

gatorsmom
03-18-2016, 09:42 AM
For immediate, gentle relief, I love Milk of Magnesia. Miralax takes a few days to work but once it gets going it works well and is gentle. If he's uncomfortable now, I'd do both right now- the MoM and miralax. I'd ask his doctors approval first, though.

As as a side note, it makes me angry that doctors/health systems overlook this very important part of care. Patients OFTEN have trouble getting their intestines to "wake up" after procedures (due to the anesthesia) causing constipation. Straining too hard to pass a bm can cause a hernia. It happened to my dad while still recuperating in the hospital right after he had a major operation. Frustrating.

okinawama
03-18-2016, 02:06 PM
My go to is smooth move tea. The mint kind is my tasting option, and it's effective. I drink it right before bed, and by the next morning things are moving along.
smooth move tea (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009F3PJE?keywords=smooth%20move%20tea&qid=1458324110&ref_=sr_1_2_a_it&sr=8-2)

cookiemonster80
03-18-2016, 02:09 PM
Warm prune juice does the trick every time

robinsmommy
03-18-2016, 04:32 PM
I would add that drinking LOTS is important. If you have lots of fiber, and no fluid to bind with it, it will make it worse.....I would check in with whoever did the colonoscopy, as PP suggested.

ETA - My Ped is a big fan of pear juice - the cloudy stuff. It is almost as effective as prune juice, but way more palatable - more relevant for kids, but still nice for older folks, too.

jren
03-18-2016, 05:47 PM
I think with Crohn's, you have to be careful with fiber. My friend had a long list of normally healthy foods that she couldn't eat (lettuce, broccoli, nuts). She eventually had to have part of her intestines removed, but is doing great. I would encourage him to find a better doctor to help him manage his disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aishe
03-18-2016, 09:56 PM
I think with Crohn's, you have to be careful with fiber. My friend had a long list of normally healthy foods that she couldn't eat (lettuce, broccoli, nuts). She eventually had to have part of her intestines removed, but is doing great. I would encourage him to find a better doctor to help him manage his disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:yeahthat: I wouldn't give a Crohn's patient anything really high fiber. We are a family full of IBD. I asked the resident experts and they recommended a stool softener - NOT a laxative/stimulant. The active ingredient should be docusate sodium.

And yes, if his doctor is not helpful he should be shopping for someone new. Crohn's can be very manageable, but it can also be catastrophic when not treated properly.

american_mama
03-23-2016, 02:29 AM
Thanks, all. My sister is encountering a situation we will all face eventually, which is that the doctor's office won't talk to her. Her 20 year old son, diagnosed with his first major health issue, has complete control of his medical records, medical decisions. She wants him the to change doctors, but it has to be him who does it, and it's just not on his priority list, nor anything he has any experience with. I am sure they will figure it out, but it's new terrain.

minnie-zb
03-23-2016, 08:19 AM
Thanks, all. My sister is encountering a situation we will all face eventually, which is that the doctor's office won't talk to her. Her 20 year old son, diagnosed with his first major health issue, has complete control of his medical records, medical decisions. She wants him the to change doctors, but it has to be him who does it, and it's just not on his priority list, nor anything he has any experience with. I am sure they will figure it out, but it's new terrain.

Actually it's her son who made the choice not to share the information with his mom. The Doctor's office is enforcing his wishes -- we all have to sign those forms saying who can have access to our information. It may seem like it's splitting hairs, but it's not fair to blame the doctor's office for following the HIPAA rules.