PDA

View Full Version : Iron infusion -- BTDT?

hillview
03-18-2016, 12:40 PM
My doc wants me to do some iron infusions. Anyone done them and if so
- how did it go? what happens?
- how soon after do you feel better/more energy?
TIA

essnce629
03-19-2016, 06:12 AM
Another poster on your other iron thread said she had been getting iron infusions regularly for 8 years now and was willing to answer questions. I posted some questions about them on that thread but I don't think she saw them. Maybe PM her?

lkoala
03-22-2016, 02:31 PM
I've had 5 in the last year, 2 in nov/dec.

Basically, you go in expecting to be there a while. I recommend making sure you are hydrated because they have to get an i.v. in.

My nurse recommended I take a claritin or something similar before the treatment.

They take your vitals and then get the iv ready. They asked me if I wanted saline too and I did get it. The iron can feel uncomfortable going in but the saline really helps.

I believe there are 2 different kinds of iron, I read that venofer was better tolerated so that is what I asked for. After the infusion there was a 1/2 hour waiting period where they keep an eye on you.

The only issues I had afterwards was pain in my lower back but it resolved after a few days. Drinking lots of water helped.

I started feeling better a few weeks after the infusions. They scheduled 3 in a row in the summer and 2 in a row (a week apart) in the winter.

umsh
03-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Sorry essnce I didn't see your questions in the other post. I'll go try to look for them.

I think there are three types of iron used for infusions, brand names are Venofer, Infed, and Injectafer.

Venofer is gentler but will require multiple infusions over time. Infed is meant to be once in your life (but we know that's not how it works for ppl like us). Injectafer is the newest with two doses a week apart. It's supposed to have the least likelihood of side effects/allergic reactions.

Like lkoala said drink plenty of water so it's easy for them to get a good vein. You may feel tired or sleepy afterwards depending on whether you get pre-meds or not - given for Venofer and Infed.

Ask how long the infusion will take and how long they'll keep you after to check on you, and bring reading material/your charged phone/snacks accordingly.

I usually feel very sleepy afterwards and it takes me several weeks to feel any effect. I had an Injectafer infusion for the first time earlier this month (had the other types before) and still feel no change, hoping I will soon.

Main things to remember are to drink up beforehand, have something to do, and anticipate you may be tired after.

Please let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillview
03-22-2016, 07:58 PM
thanks so much all!

umsh
03-22-2016, 08:03 PM
Essnce thought I answered your questions here?

low iron levels and other blood issues http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=493674

Let me know if I didn't...for so long I was the only one I knew going through this and wish I'd had some support.

essnce629
03-22-2016, 10:08 PM
Essnce thought I answered your questions here?

low iron levels and other blood issues http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=493674

Let me know if I didn't...for so long I was the only one I knew going through this and wish I'd had some support.

Oh wow, I don't know how I missed that! Thanks! I think I'll look into the infusions again to see if I can get bumped up to over 100 quickly and then try to maintain.

Umsh and Ikoala-- is your low iron caused by heavy periods as well?

I still really hope to have a third baby one day so I don't want to get on the pill or have any uterine surgeries to get rid of my fibroid.

umsh
03-22-2016, 11:28 PM
Oh wow, I don't know how I missed that! Thanks! I think I'll look into the infusions again to see if I can get bumped up to over 100 quickly and then try to maintain.

Umsh and Ikoala-- is your low iron caused by heavy periods as well?

I still really hope to have a third baby one day so I don't want to get on the pill or have any uterine surgeries to get rid of my fibroid.

I've never gotten a straight answer on why my iron stores always dip down so low. I've moved several times and had different doctors, and each time I begin a round of infusions they all seem to think one round will take care of it for good, but I know that's not how it works for me. Hoping this new hematologist will work with me to figure out why it keeps happening.

I do have super heavy periods, but my gyn ordered an ultrasound, and I don't have fibroids or anything else concerning.

I don't want to use the pill either but my gyn suggested a medication called Lysteda which is non hormonal but can reduce the length and amount of bleeding in your cycle. So that could be worth looking into for you as well. Our insurance is awful and it was close to $200 for a month's supply so I couldn't afford to try it.

If you're thinking about TTC again something interesting I noted is that both my pregnancies happened soon after infusions, while my iron levels were high. It took us some time to get pregnant beforehand, and no ones ever connected low iron to trouble conceiving, but it was an interesting coincidence for me...

essnce629
03-23-2016, 03:23 AM
If you're thinking about TTC again something interesting I noted is that both my pregnancies happened soon after infusions, while my iron levels were high. It took us some time to get pregnant beforehand, and no ones ever connected low iron to trouble conceiving, but it was an interesting coincidence for me...

It was my miscarriage 17 months ago that prompted me to push for some extra tests and that's how I found out my ferritin was so low. I later learned that iron deficiency can cause poor egg quality so that may have played a role in my miscarriage unfortunately. DH doesn't want to have any more kids, but our only method of BC is the pull out method so there's always a slim chance.

essnce629
03-23-2016, 03:34 AM
And thank you for mentioning Lysteda! I had never heard of it. It sounds interesting and I like that you only take it during your period. It does say that you shouldn't take it if you are at increased risk for blood clots, which I am due to having the homozygous MTHFR mutation, but I take baby aspirin three times a week to counteract that so maybe it would be ok. Time to make a gyn appointment!