PDA

View Full Version : Books like Maze Runner ok for 6th grade boy

chlobo
03-21-2016, 08:39 AM
I am putting together an Easter basket for a boy who recently lost his father. I'm told he likes Maze Runner and books like that. can anyone recommend a book about the same level? I saw Enders Game as being similar but didn't see an age range for it.

chlobo
03-21-2016, 08:52 AM
I also need a book for the mom (whose husband died). I think something light & fluffy and funny would be good.

wellyes
03-21-2016, 09:30 AM
City of Ember? If there is a local bookshop, a gift card would be great for that age.

For the mom, how about My Brilliant Friend, it is a quickly becoming a modern classic. If you don't think she is a reader try The Rosie Project or Jojo Meyers.

SnuggleBuggles
03-21-2016, 09:43 AM
My ds1 was all about Rick Riordan books then. But, I'd probably go to Amazon and follow the "people who bought the Maze Runner also bought" link. Or ask at the bookstore. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R2sweetboys
03-21-2016, 10:14 AM
My boys really liked Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix at that age. It's actually pay of a series called The Shadow Children. My sister is a sixth grade teacher and she recommends it for her students.

klwa
03-21-2016, 10:34 AM
I would say Ender's Game is in that age range. I read it in 8th, but I think it would be fine for a 6th grader.

ray7694
03-21-2016, 10:56 AM
My son really liked Maze runner. Has he read the whole series?

123LuckyMom
03-21-2016, 12:28 PM
There's the whole Lois Lowry series. There are 4 books, The Giver, Gathering Blue, The Messenger, and Son.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Neatfreak
03-21-2016, 12:48 PM
I second the suggestion for The City of Ember. It's also available in graphic-novel format and there are two or three sequels.

chlobo
03-21-2016, 01:42 PM
has anyone read "The Journal of Curious Letters" part of the 13th reality series?

squimp
03-21-2016, 01:49 PM
My DD loved the whole Maze Runner series. She also liked Roland Smith's books at that age - Peak and Sasquatch were her faves.

rlu
03-21-2016, 06:12 PM
She also liked Roland Smith's books at that age - Peak and Sasquatch were her faves.

DS is reading Roland Smith's Jaguar as in-class reading now and really enjoying it. My sis, the MS librarian, rec's his books for middle schoolers. Will follow up on these two listed above when DS finishes the Hatchet (aka Brian) series by Gary Paulsen for his home reading. He is also reading the Big Red series (it's an old series about dogs, right up his alley, and one that I read around his age).

eta: Maze Runner is dystopian whereas the books my DS prefers are realistic fiction (I think that's the term).

toby
03-22-2016, 07:13 PM
I am putting together an Easter basket for a boy who recently lost his father. I'm told he likes Maze Runner and books like that. can anyone recommend a book about the same level? I saw Enders Game as being similar but didn't see an age range for it.

My 11 year old recommends Legend (Marie Lu) and the other two in that trilogy. Divergent is another great one, but DS says the parents die. A lot of the dystopian books have parents who die :(

DS just reminded me that the author of the Maze Runner, James Dashner, also wrote The Eye of Minds (part of a series). He told me "the parents are perfectly alive the whole time."

Also, just recommended The Testing...

mommy111
03-22-2016, 09:34 PM
Isn't the maze runner very violent? I remember opening it when DD was reading it and coming across some very disturbing scenes of graphic violence
Fwiw, my DD loved the Rick Riordan books, a little less graphic violence and less ?..dystopian. She read the Olympus ones and then skimmed through the Kane chronicles which she thought were just so so but which I (insert head in shame :)) got to reading in an airplane and thought were quite well written
I personally hate the level of dystopia that the kids are exposed to these days in books.....I'm encouraging DD to read some of the classics instead of the hunger games (although that is another rant for another day)