PDA

View Full Version : If you...

ChicagoNDMom
03-21-2016, 10:19 PM
lost a large amount of weight and for the first time in a loooong time were no longer plus sized, but a ladies 10-12, what would you recommend as far as wardrobe staples? I am hoping to hear what your best-loved, most "go to" wardrobe pieces are...Specific brands/styles/stores appreciated! Thanks.

SnuggleBuggles
03-21-2016, 10:37 PM
Great jeans. I'd get some straight leg, medium dark jeans. I can't recommend brand though as they fit so, so differently depending on how weight is distributed. I'd probably try Lucky ones to start.
I'd get a nice sheath dress too. It'll really show off the curves. A basic pencil skirt is a good staple. I'd start at The Limited for those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatorsmom
03-21-2016, 10:54 PM
lost a large amount of weight and for the first time in a loooong time were no longer plus sized, but a ladies 10-12, what would you recommend as far as wardrobe staples? I am hoping to hear what your best-loved, most "go to" wardrobe pieces are...Specific brands/styles/stores appreciated! Thanks.

Are you referring to yourself? Congratulations!!! It's not easy!!

I have lost 20-30 points before (I'm trying to lose it again at this very moment). For pants, my favorite is Loft. Once you find the cut of pants that is right for you, you can order pants online because they will always fit. Loft has stayed true to their sizes for years.

As as far as staples, I'm a SAHM so I don't need a work wardrobe. If i did, i'd rely on Loft pants and cardigans with nice shells wherever I could pick them up for a good price. I'm going through perimenopause and get really hot really fast (and then cold again) so I wear a lot of tee shirts and sleeveless tees with cardigans. I seem to buy a lot of Target cardigans and shells with jeans. I also love anthropologie.com because there are such unique beautiful things. I'm always on the lookout for shirts that hide my tummy and can usually find some interesting tops there. I love White House black market for jeans. Go for straight leg. And the customer service is so nice and helpful there I almost don't mind trying them on. Nordstroms had great custimer service too. Enjoy!

eta- I'm 5'4" so this advice is coming from a petite! (And there is no way you could get me to put my chubby legs in flares. Or skinny jeans. No way)

Kindra178
03-21-2016, 11:01 PM
Flare jeans are totally in. For warmer weather, look for some crop flares. A good pair of skinnies (still hanging around) are also considered timeless. The limited pants for work are my fav Bbb rec. I like Exact Stretch and the curvy fit one. The straight leg styles are lovely.

I can't recommend Stitch Fix enough. It's an easy way to get a few useful pieces and know how to wear them, for very reasonable prices. Are you local to the store Evereve? That's a great place to try on new looks. They do an an expensive mail order called Trend Send.

SnuggleBuggles
03-21-2016, 11:12 PM
Flare jeans are totally in. For warmer weather, look for some crop flares. A good pair of skinnies (still hanging around) are also considered timeless. The limited pants for work are my fav Bbb rec. I like Exact Stretch and the curvy fit one. The straight leg styles are lovely.

I can't recommend Stitch Fix enough. It's an easy way to get a few useful pieces and know how to wear them, for very reasonable prices. Are you local to the store Evereve? That's a great place to try on new looks. They do an an expensive mail order called Trend Send.

If OP is short, I wouldn't recommend crop flares. The proportions won't be flattering. Just throwing that out there. As a short gal, I learned long ago that that style doesn't tend to flatter. But, some experimentation with amount of flare might produce success.

solsister
03-22-2016, 01:54 AM
Yay! Congratulations!
I found myself in the same position over the past 18 months, after being about 70 pounds heavier, for 10 years, and am now in a 10-12.
I found a lot at Loft, Gap and Norstrom. Good jeans, black skinny jeans, shorts, skirts dresses. I don't even know how to break it down, as I needed a whole new wardrobe. I started with seasonal items. I dropped a lot of weight over the summer, to start, so I got some of the Old Navy fold over skirts, and a couple from Costco, to ease through the summer with tanks and tees. That got me through the summer, as my shorts started falling off of me. Then, in early fall, I started with some long sleeve tees, utility blouses from LOFT, some skinny black and dark jeans, and some cardigans in much smaller sizes. Banana Republic and Madewell have really cute stuff, and I always wait for big sales. I also found that I really need to try stuff on, as different stores have different sizes. Scarves helped to give me some sass. Once I got down to where I was in a 10-12, I started replacing items, one by one, and tossed all of my too big sizes. None of my old clothes fit, and they are all gone. My closet is pretty streamlined now, and I'm loving it. I added some sweaters, and a few cute winter coats, etc. New swimsuits were a biggie for me, as I am a water person. Lands End was my go to for swim wear. I've found really cute shorts, skirts, tanks and dresses for summer at Target and LOFT. It's crazy, and can be expensive, but I waited for big sales, and bought what I needed after having a couple of months of buying every. single. thing that would fit, after years of not fitting into anything that I wanted to. I settled down, and started just buying classic pieces, or fun items. Have fun!

citymama
03-22-2016, 01:57 AM
Yay, congrats! No suggestions but I would definitely view it as an occasion for a shopping expedition! Try on it store and see what you love!

ChicagoNDMom
03-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the great suggestions. I am very excited to shop!

pastrygirl
03-22-2016, 11:01 AM
Congrats!!! I went through that a couple of years ago. It was SO FUN starting from scratch! Not to mention no longer crying in the dressing room. I ended up loving Loft jeans/pants. I did splurge on premium jeans at Nordstrom (Paige and rag & bone), but I love the Loft pairs better. I found a bunch of shorts (shorter and longer ones) at Ann Taylor.

My biggest tip: leave no stone unturned! I shopped everywhere. Some of my favorite tops are from JCPenney and Bon-Ton. I have some Coldwater Creek sweaters. Stores I would normally never go to.

rlu
03-22-2016, 02:33 PM
You might try hitting the thrift stores to see what brands catch your eye and if they seem big or small for the size noted and then hit those stores for more. I wouldn't necessarily do that for jeans though since I'm sure they've been shrunk by the time they get to goodwill/savers/what-not.

I don't wear expensive stuff so I get my jeans from Old Navy. I like Dress Barn (various brands) shirts for work (I find their brands at a few Goodwills around town but my sis buys them new and usually has some sort of discount going). I don't think you can go wrong with Ann Taylor/Loft if that's in your budget and expected style for work (I work in tax/accounting so we're fairly conservative, each department has its own style expectations).

I highly rec going to Nordstrom and getting sized for bras. I prefer their Freya and good old Wacoal brands for small band big cup bras and a good bra is worth every penny for your self-esteem.

Katigre
03-22-2016, 03:42 PM
You might like Loft too - wait for their 40% off sales or sometimes 50% off. New York & Co is another good store for basics as is The Limited. Stitch Fix can be fun too but is more $.

Mamabear4
03-22-2016, 04:23 PM
First of all - congrats, that is awesome! I second(third) the suggestion of a great pair of jeans. Also a PSA - if you have an IUD, please make sure it hasn't shifted. I have friend who has an IUD baby because she lost a significant amount weight and everything shifted in there. [emoji16]

gatorsmom
03-22-2016, 05:04 PM
I highly rec going to Nordstrom and getting sized for bras. I prefer their Freya and good old Wacoal brands for small band big cup bras and a good bra is worth every penny for your self-esteem.

Yes, yes, yes to this! I just went to Nordstrom for my second bra fitting back in September. Most of the bras I purchased from my first Nordstrom fitting 7 years ago had finally worn out! I also love Wacoal and had some luck time with Natori this time too. Make sure you take your time. Don't be rushed out. The ones you think you really like, try them on a couple times before buying them. Ok, off my soap box. ;)