PDA

View Full Version : Tampons

KrystalS
03-22-2016, 05:11 PM
My DD just started her period, which unfortunately has coincided with the start of track! I'm really hoping she will try tampons because I think they are so much more comfortable. She's only been wearing pads a few days and she hates them already. I always used Playtex because I don't like cardboard applicators. But I have an IUD and I haven't had a period in about 6 years. Anything new on the market? Do they make tampons smaller than a regular? I tried to find light at target and didn't have any luck. She's bleeding pretty heavily so i think she's going to need regular flow regardless just worried about the size since she has never used them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDKmom
03-22-2016, 06:54 PM
I have recently fallen in love with the Playtex sport. I don't know how long it has been out, but I found them maybe a year ago and they are much more comfortable than the Playtex gentle glide that I was using before. I'm not super heavy, so not sure on any of that.

ArizonaGirl
03-22-2016, 07:17 PM
Tampax has lite and slender regular with plastic applicators that's what I started with.

bigsis
03-22-2016, 08:54 PM
Tampax Pearl. I just found these and I think they're marketed towards the young girls. They're more compact and with a plastic applicator.

lalasmama
03-22-2016, 09:28 PM
Might want to consider some lubricating jelly as well. I think that made tampon insertion so much easier as a teen!

Katigre
03-22-2016, 10:58 PM
And if she is comfortable with the idea, a cup can be nicer than tampons - it holds more and you don't have to empty it as often (though learning how to empty it in a public restroom takes some practice).

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/menstrual-cups-everything-you-need-to-know

HannaAddict
03-23-2016, 01:30 AM
I have recently fallen in love with the Playtex sport. I don't know how long it has been out, but I found them maybe a year ago and they are much more comfortable than the Playtex gentle glide that I was using before. I'm not super heavy, so not sure on any of that.

There was just an article on why women are still getting toxic shock syndrome and Playtex Sport was one of the types that was called out as having a higher risk. More heavy duty I think. For a teen with a first period I wouldn't encourage tampons but try different combos of pads first.

BDKmom
03-23-2016, 07:12 AM
There was just an article on why women are still getting toxic shock syndrome and Playtex Sport was one of the types that was called out as having a higher risk. More heavy duty I think. For a teen with a first period I wouldn't encourage tampons but try different combos of pads first.

Interesting. I hadn't heard that. Thanks for the info. I'm pretty fanatical about changing mine regularly, but I can see how a teen wouldn't be as diligent.

alleycat
03-23-2016, 07:40 AM
Kotex has a small, slim tampon.

Try going to the various brands' websites to see it you can get samples for her to try. The Kotex I've gotten were samples but it might've been from a Walmart or Target promo.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

georgiegirl
03-23-2016, 08:47 AM

What should a kid do who is involved in sports where pads just don't work. My 10 year old DD is a competitive swimmer, so she will need to wear tampons during swim practice. I can't imagine a 12 year old learning to deal with a cup. I had a hard time with the diva cup when I was 33.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bcafe
03-23-2016, 09:06 AM
I love using a cup, but no way would I encourage a 12 yr old to use one at school. Some days it looks like a darn MASH unit when I empty and clean mine at home.

mom2binsd
03-23-2016, 09:20 AM
My DD was 11 and had to use a tampon her very first period as it was during swim team season, we used Playtex sport plastic ones, she put it in on the first try, the light and regular are about the same size really. She watched a YouTube video and I showed her how the applicator worked, I just took one out of the wrapper and showed her. I was in the bathroom kind of coaching her as she inserted it. Any girl who does sports like swim, gymnastics, volleyball etc, the uniforms don't allow for pad wearing at all. I use a cup and am going to get her one, she's almost 13 and the cost of tampons is killing me and I think she is ready to try it. My DD is very diligent about changing them, they drilled it into her during health class! She's a competitive swimmer and she'd miss meets etc if she didn't use tampons. Once they do it a few times it's no big deal. She quickly graduated to superplus size due to heavy flow.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

HannaAddict
03-23-2016, 10:38 AM
What should a kid do who is involved in sports where pads just don't work. My 10 year old DD is a competitive swimmer, so she will need to wear tampons during swim practice. I can't imagine a 12 year old learning to deal with a cup. I had a hard time with the diva cup when I was 33.

I wouldn't use the Sport version or others listed as higher risk, if they felt they had to use a tampon then. I would the tampon for the immediate swim session and back to pads once they are out of the pool. That would reduce their risk of TSS.

calebsmama03
03-29-2016, 06:20 PM
I read a few things about TSS recently. One mentioned polyester foam in tampons being a factor but because tampons are "medical devices" the makers are not required to disclose ingredients (the irony - this medical device regulation shut down lots of small WAHM cloth pad makers but allows big corporations to put heaven-knows-what into tampons without disclosure...) so it's hard to tell what's in them. Another risk factor is plastic applicators because there's a higher risk of abrading the vaginal tissues and creating a pathway for microbes to enter the bloodstream.

For my own DD, when the time comes, my plan of action will be to introduce her to tampons (when she wants them) using the natracare 100% cotton unbleached applicator ones, then graduate to applicator free ones (same brand), then get a tiny menstrual cup (Meluna small or shorty) to practice with at home till she gets comfortable with it. I think this progression would let her get more comfortable with her body and the process gradually. I don't think age precludes cup use, but I also wouldn't push one during the few few times. I have always hated pads and based on DD's reaction to other texture things and articles of clothing I would guess she will be similar. I was so relieved when my mom finally introduced me to tampons (I think I was in 8th grade or going into 8th grade and on vacation, pissed I couldn't swim). It was like a revelation - I was mad that she hadn't told me about this awesomeness sooner!

chottumommy
03-29-2016, 06:58 PM

I actually started using a cup at age 12. We never had tampons where we grew up and I hated pads (and they were super expensive). My aunt bought me a cup from UK and it was the best gift anyone has ever given me. I truly never needed to change the cup when out and about. Only about once every 8 hours. Now ofcourse I have heavy heavy periods and I change it every couple of hours.

Corie
03-29-2016, 07:31 PM
Thought I would share this article that I found online:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/doctor-minimize-risk-toxic-shock-syndrome-article-1.2268476

This is taken from the article:

"Super-absorbent tampons are more likely to cause toxic shock syndrome because they become highly saturated with blood, making it an ideal environment for rapid growth of bacteria. The material that the tampon is made of may also have an effect. It seems that bacteria is more likely to grow in an environment made of polyester foam. A safer option may be to use tampons that are made of cotton or rayon fibers instead, such as Tampax Pearl."

Corie
03-29-2016, 07:39 PM
There was just an article on why women are still getting toxic shock syndrome and Playtex Sport was one of the types that was called out as having a higher risk.

Can you share the article? Thanks!