PDA

View Full Version : Update on DH's surgery

♥ms.pacman♥
03-22-2016, 10:49 PM
I posted in a previous thread about DH having sinus surgery to correct a deviated septum, as well as getting a turbinate reduction. He was extremely anxious about it in general and the ONLY reason he agreed to do the surgery was because I begged and begged for him to get it. He was pretty much congested 24/7 and could never really breathe through his nose. Was always sniffling. He did nasal rinses religiously (2x a day), took allergy meds, did flonase spray, the works but didn't seem to make a dent. He also has sleep apnea and has to use a CPAP.

well surgery was a week ago. And the recovery went remarkably well (thank goodness, bc i was recovering from an illness and DD got sick shortly after, so i was already maxed out). That very same day, DH said he felt better than he did before the surgery. He kept saying how strange it was to be able to breathe through his nose. The next day he was well enough to make kids' dinner, help out, etc. I was kind of shocked. ..he must have had pretty effed up sinuses if he already felt so much better just couple days after surgery! 3 days post-surgery he was able to take DD to Kinder round up. The splints did start to annoy him a lot after a while, and he finally got those out yesterday, and that improved things further. He keeps saying how eerie it is to able to breathe out of his nose, and that it will take some getting used to.

Anyway just wanted to update. I was so so relieved he didn't have tons of bleeding/vomiting or any post-surgery complications like I did when I had similar sinus surgery years ago.

eta - during the surgery, the Dr showed me before and after pics from each side of his nose. one side was SO messed up it looked basically almost closed off..no wonder poor guy couldn't breathe!

PZMommy
03-22-2016, 11:34 PM
I'm glad to hear it went so well!! A friend had a similar surgery a few years ago, and said it was the best thing she ever had done.

citymama
03-23-2016, 12:50 AM
That's so great! My DD1 has a deviated septum and is always congested - I hope it self corrects as she grows, but I know there's a decent chance she will need surgery as an adult. Hope the recovery continues to go smoothly!

smiles33
03-23-2016, 12:09 PM
That is great news! So how long is he off work? A week?

DH also does nasal rinses 2-3/day, is constantly congested, takes allergy meds and uses nasal sprays (plus has had allergy shots weekly for years!), and gets the worst sinus infections when he's sick. However, he was told the turbinate reduction wouldn't improve his situation...I'm wondering if I should push him to get evaluated by another ENT surgeon. Did your DH see more than one ENT to get a second opinion?

123LuckyMom
03-23-2016, 12:11 PM
What a fantastic update! I'm so happy for all of you! Did the surgery eliminate the need for the CPAP?

♥ms.pacman♥
03-23-2016, 02:12 PM
Thanks all! Last week was DH's spring break so he's been back at work this week..so he had a week off essentially.

Re:CPAP, I think he will still need to use it for time being, though I think if he lost 20 more lbs he might not have to use it anymore. Hoping the surgery will make it easier for him to lose weight. ..one by allowing him to be more rested so he can exercise, and another hoping he doesn't have to eat as much now that he can taste food better.

DH has had messed up sinuses since he was a kid. He had his tonsils out when he was 9 I think due to having bad breath...Now I think it was probably bc he was always breathing thru his mouth as a result of being congested all the time.

I am not sure if my DH saw more than one dr re:surgery..he might have. He was very apprehensive about surgery but now he says he wants to kick himself for suffering for so long and for not having it sooner.

Kindra178
03-23-2016, 02:50 PM
Great update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk