PDA

View Full Version : s/o post Mouse cleaning question

doberbrat
03-24-2016, 11:40 AM
OK, SUPER gross questions ahead. Sorry!

Every few years, we get mice. Typically, I toss any pans, cookie sheets, containers, utensils etc that were in proximity to any 'evidence' we find.

DH thinks running through the dishwasher is good enough.

WWYD?

icunurse
03-24-2016, 12:43 PM
OK, SUPER gross questions ahead. Sorry!

Every few years, we get mice. Typically, I toss any pans, cookie sheets, containers, utensils etc that were in proximity to any 'evidence' we find.

DH thinks running through the dishwasher is good enough.

WWYD?

Certain types of mice can carry a very bad virus that is passed on in their poop and can also make clean-up dangerous. We had a pest service come out the one time we had mice and the guy insisted the mouse wasn't the type that carries viruses (I caught the whole family before he came out, but he did find a tiny entry way into our house that is now fixed). Anyway, there is a bleach mix solution that yo can spray on things and let sit for a while. I did that on everything, just to be safe. It was a pita, but I wasn't going to throw everything out (baking stuff, canned goods, etc). And then I out items in the dishwasher. Probably overkill, but....ick. Anyway, google it and you'll find lots of info.

gatorsmom
03-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Icunurse is referring to the Hanta virus. The danger comes from inhaling airborne dust particles contaminated by fresh mouse poop, urine or nesting material. According to the stats I read a few years ago when I was cleaning up my own mouse invasion, catching the Hanta sickness is incredibly rare. In Minnesota where we were, there was something like one case diagnosed in 10 years. Where we live now, everyone has a "cabin up north" or a hunting cabin in the woods and I've never known anyone to get diagnosed with it (and mice are definitely in all those cabins. There is no way to avoid it when they are shut up for the winter). It never hurts to take precautions, though, so I'd wear something over my face and spritz bleach-water over mouse- contaminated stuff before picking it up and washing it with some more bleach. (But even that is probably overkill). i would never throw it all out.

mmommy
03-24-2016, 01:38 PM
Knowing what I do about storage facilities, I don't think throwing everything out is really worth doing, as new pots, pans, etc have likely been in facilities with mice or rats before they get shipped out to a store or you. I'd thoroughly wash everything, but I don't see what good throwing it out would do.

Mikey0709
03-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Wow. You would actually throw it all away? Do you eat in restaurants at all? Or shop in supermarkets?

I think if you found out how prevalent mouse droppings are, you may get REALLY REALLY grossed out. I think, especially in most urban cities, it's unavoidable. Like the above poster, i also know about storage facitilies and food handling.... a reason why i don't buy most groceries from walmarts or targets - who alot of times haven't had food handling courses in storage and temperature control. At least in a supermarket you have a better chance for proper handling and storage.

Actually our local Whole Foods has been the subject of MANY reports lately. It seems the more "all natural" and places which do more food prep rather than just selling packaged goods have it worse.... supposedly because they have more scrap and waste to dispose of.

You also shouldn't google - "mammalian excreta" - FDA approved levels. That will tell you how much mouse poop the FDA thinks is an acceptable level in our food. It's something like a gram a pound. They have levels for mouse fur and roach droppings too which is disgusting!

I think dishwasher washing is more than would be needed - but i'm not necessarily grossed out by this. We have field mice come into our house frequently, there's only so much you can do to try and prevent it.

doberbrat
03-24-2016, 02:29 PM
Wow. You would actually throw it all away? Yep. first infestation I threw out a BUNCH of stuff. DH was um, "unhappy". with the 2nd go around, he grabbed the items and put them in the basement to deal with and there they atill are. I want to throw them out now.

Knowing what I do about storage facilities, I don't think throwing everything out is really worth doing, as new pots, pans, etc have likely been in facilities with mice or rats before they get shipped out to a store or you... .

I SO do not want to think about this....

123LuckyMom
03-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Your DH is absolutely right. The dishwasher will do the trick. We live in the country. Everybody gets mice. Everybody. We're dealing right now with an infestation in my mother's 2006 home which is enormous and was featured in Architectural Digest, so we're not talking bumpkin cabins here. I promise you, she doesn't dispose of the vases, antiques, and sculptural art pieces the mice desecrate! And even though it might gross you out, I promise you you've eaten restaurant food that was prepared on pans that mice (or rats) have pooped on. Clean the pans. Don't throw them away. They'll be fine once they're cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Snow mom
03-24-2016, 03:20 PM
Agreeing with others that washing in the dishwasher is fine. Clean with fresh 10% bleach solution as well if it will make you feel better. I'm listening to a mouse in my ceiling as I type this--they come in every winter (although mainly stay in the non-finished space.) Throwing out everything that might have been near a mouse is counterproductive (because EVERYTHING has been near a mouse or worse) and extremely wasteful.

mackmama
03-25-2016, 12:32 AM
I'm with you and would (and have) throw it out.

essnce629
03-25-2016, 04:21 AM
Throwing stuff out would never even cross my mind! Dishwasher on the sanitary setting (which I use daily anyways) seems perfectly fine to me!

mom_hanna
03-25-2016, 05:48 AM
Dishwasher, then use as normal. Our dishwasher gets so hot that I can't imagine much can survive in there. We had mice in our house occasionally growing up, and always found mice in our cabin up north, and never did anything more than wash and use.