PDA

View Full Version : Ugh! How upset would you be...

scrooks
03-24-2016, 12:49 PM
My friend an I are on PTA and arranged an assembly for my dc's primary school (grades k-4). A guy came in to teach the kids Zumba. We had seen him before at a Girl Scout event and thought he was fabulous. Well the assemblies were this morning and they went well but the PE teacher said to my friend afterwards that she said have never played "uptown funk" in an educational setting. I agree... it does have the word d&nm in it and wasn't great but I am assuming most of the kids have heard the song before. I'm just worried she will make trouble.... How upset would you be if your elementary kids heard "Uptown funk" at school.

HannaAddict
03-24-2016, 12:52 PM
Not a bit. They have all heard it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChicagoNDMom
03-24-2016, 12:53 PM
Not at all. Much bigger fish to fry in my world than that.

SnuggleBuggles
03-24-2016, 12:54 PM
Not even a teeny tiny bit. Super trivial, imo.

cvanbrunt
03-24-2016, 12:54 PM
Wow. Life is really good if this is considered an issue.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-24-2016, 12:57 PM
Not upset at all. I have a 5yo and 6yo and both know the lyrics to that song and sing it on their own. :bag maybe not perfectly ideal for elem school setting but totally not a battle worth picking IMO !

ourbabygirl
03-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Yeah, don't worry about it! My 5 & 7 year old have heard it and we've even danced to it on our Xbox, I think. Plus it was on the Superbowl halftime show, I think. :) It's got a really catchy tune and that's what most of us (kids, esp.) pay attention to, more than the lyrics. At least in a public school, I would think it would be fine!

gatorsmom
03-24-2016, 01:08 PM
My kids have never heard it and if they were in a room with blaring music and their friends jumping all over the place, the curse words and questionable lyrics (if there are any) would sail right over their heads. And we go to a Christian school. I say don't worry.

The most important message is to jump around, move around and have fun getting exercise!!!

scrooks
03-24-2016, 01:14 PM
The most important message is to jump around, move around and have fun getting exercise!!!
Exactly! It just kind of rained on our parade. We did a lot of work and the kids liked the assembly... Plus we are volunteers here lady! She is a great PE teacher and I would have thought she would have been excited to see all the kids dancing!

I also suspect that they probably played "uptown funk" at the daddy daughter dance last month and I'm sure no one said a word. It s just a popular song kids love!

carolinacool
03-24-2016, 01:15 PM

Right??

Because words and meaning are still sailing over my 6-year-old's head, I still listen to our local hip-hop station (with radio edits). "Uptown Funk" is practically a hymn compared to those.

anonomom
03-24-2016, 01:15 PM
Wouldn't bug me.

Did he actually play the original version? I ask because DDs' P.E. teacher seems to have access to sanitized versions of popular songs. The PTA room is next to the gym and I've heard cleaned-up versions of Uptown Funk, All About that Bass, etc, played while the kids are running around.

MMMommy
03-24-2016, 01:17 PM
Wouldn't bother me at all.

scrooks
03-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Wouldn't bug me.

Did he actually play the original version? I ask because DDs' P.E. teacher seems to have access to sanitized versions of popular songs. The PTA room is next to the gym and I've heard cleaned-up versions of Uptown Funk, All About that Bass, etc, played while the kids are running around.
He played the real version which is why she is upset. She plays clean versions of popular songs in pe class all the time... So she knows they exist. Oh well. I just hope that's the last we hear of it!

bisous
03-24-2016, 01:30 PM
I'm super sensitive to language but Uptown Funk doesn't bother me.

ETA: Just to clarify, I don't think all objections to language are out of place. Nor do I think that such objections indicate that life must otherwise be perfect.

Kindra178
03-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Not an issue. Every kid has heard it.

AnnieW625
03-24-2016, 01:38 PM
Not at all bothered by it. I love it when my 5 yr. old songs that song. Agree with cvanbrunt.

trcy
03-24-2016, 01:43 PM

ITA! DD is in pre-k and had heard that song on many occasions...in my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

California
03-24-2016, 02:01 PM
Could she possibly have been feeling a little territorial since exercise is her area of teaching? Maybe she felt a little twinge of jealousy over how well the assembly went. Maybe that's the only thing she could come up with to complain about! Which shows you it was a really good assembly.

vonfirmath
03-24-2016, 02:25 PM
Exactly! It just kind of rained on our parade. We did a lot of work and the kids liked the assembly... Plus we are volunteers here lady! She is a great PE teacher and I would have thought she would have been excited to see all the kids dancing!

I also suspect that they probably played "uptown funk" at the daddy daughter dance last month and I'm sure no one said a word. It s just a popular song kids love!

They guy didn't have to pass the music through the principal first? For our dance, we had to have a playlist of all the music to the principal ahead of time for her to okay at least a week before the event.

ETA: I know nothing about this specific song. We play no popular culture music at home. Whether I would be upset would depend entirely on whether my kids started repeating the lyrics at home and I found out they learned them at a school-sponsored activity.

123LuckyMom
03-24-2016, 02:27 PM
Could she possibly have been feeling a little territorial since exercise is her area of teaching? Maybe she felt a little twinge of jealousy over how well the assembly went. Maybe that's the only thing she could come up with to complain about! Which shows you it was a really good assembly.

This is my guess, too. She felt a bit hurt that it was such a success and she hadn't thought to do something similar. I wouldn't worry about it.

wendibird22
03-24-2016, 02:31 PM
Wouldn't bother me a bit.

wellyes
03-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Nope, not a worry. Superbowl song that's played at every kid dance party.

Funny story, the other day "The Other One Bites the Dust" came on the radio, and my 5 year old said "hey, is this song by the girls hit your hallelujah people?"

2ndtimearound
03-24-2016, 02:57 PM
Not an issue at all! That song was played at a field day type event at my DD's school (public) along with the song about doing it like the animals by Maroon5. And this is Republican country! The only way I can see it being an issue is if it was a religious school or an event associated with a church.

BunnyBee
03-24-2016, 03:09 PM
What kind of "trouble" would she make? If he comes back to the school next year, the PTO knows to ask him to use the Kids Bop versions of songs. They have an Uptown Funk one. I wouldn't worry about it at all, but I wouldn't play the song of my own volition to K-4 kids knowing the content. If I were a parent, I would not complain.

missym
03-24-2016, 03:20 PM
Not an issue at all! That song was played at a field day type event at my DD's school (public) along with the song about doing it like the animals by Maroon5. And this is Republican country! The only way I can see it being an issue is if it was a religious school or an event associated with a church.

I was a bit horrified when the DJ played this at my DD1's bat mitzvah party. Then I noticed the rabbi and his wife out on the dance floor, getting down and singing along!

Smillow
03-24-2016, 03:20 PM
Well, I will be he voice of dissent, with the caveat that I have no idea what this song is and how many times this particular lyric is repeated. I have far from a perfect life, but I wouldn't be happy hearing a song with profanity at an elementary school.

Staraglimmer
03-24-2016, 03:34 PM
We are in a Catholic school. It would not be ok with me at all. Nope. I would not want my daughter to think that she could say that word.

Kindra178
03-24-2016, 03:50 PM
For the life of me, I have no idea what the offensive word is, if any?

BunnyBee
03-24-2016, 03:53 PM

Hot damn is an echo in the chorus. Kids Bop changes it to hot yeah.

gatorsmom
03-24-2016, 04:04 PM

Damn is considered a swear word by many people. If I thought my kids were going to repeat it, I'd be upset too. I don't want them to think that it's an ok word to use. We are Catholic and do our best to stay faithful to the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church.

As I said above, though, my kids have never heard that song before (neither I nor DH listen to pop, rap or hip hop or even the radio), so very little chance they have heard it before. And if they were in a room fully of kids jumping up and down and the music was blaring, I doubt they'd pay attention to the words. I think a lot still goes over their heads.

squimp
03-24-2016, 04:08 PM
I think it is a lesson to use Kids Bop or other sanitized versions if possible when you bring folks in from outside. Hopefully the gym teacher won't make a big deal about it. I would not care but we listen to all kinds of music at our house. My kid knows not to say "damn" and listening to a song is not going to change that.

Melaine
03-24-2016, 04:08 PM
My older two listen to, repeat and question lyrics. There has never been a time when things really went over their heads. They are very musical and they have also always had "radars up" to adult conversation. DS, not at all. I'm not sure he knows the words to any particular song, and he dances all over without much regard to beat or anyone else. Yes, it bothers me to hear cursing or inappropriate lyrics in a family/kid setting, but we don't listen to much secular music and we are a conservative Christian family.

ETA: To be clear, it would bother me but I would not complain. Choose your battles and all, and I definitely have bigger concerns.

wellyes
03-24-2016, 04:20 PM
I think it is a lesson to use Kids Bop or other sanitized versions if possible when you bring folks in from outside. Hopefully the gym teacher won't make a big deal about it. I would not care but we listen to all kinds of music at our house. My kid knows not to say "damn" and listening to a song is not going to change that.

I guess so. Even though I think it's just silly that the original lyrics are not ok, but 'Hot yeah,' said with the exact same meaning in the exact same tone is fine. I grew up Catholic and know about the second commandment, and I do not think Mark Ronson has sinned in the writing of these lyrics.

gatorsmom
03-24-2016, 04:33 PM
I guess so. Even though I think it's just silly that the original lyrics are not ok, but 'Hot yeah,' said with the exact same meaning in the exact same tone is fine. I grew up Catholic and know about the second commandment, and I do not think Mark Ronson has sinned in the writing of these lyrics.

Who here called Mark Ronson a sinner??? I thought we were just saying we didn't want our kids saying "damn"??

scrooks
03-24-2016, 04:38 PM
Thanks all for weighing in. Definitely lesson learned on music for a school setting. I am hoping we don't hear any more comments from teachers. The kids are on break for the next week and a half so hopefully it will be forgotten!

megs4413
03-24-2016, 04:40 PM
well the chorus has damn repeated 4 times. then there's the line about "fill my cup, put some liquor in it!" and then there's: "If you sexy then flaunt it" (repeated twice) and: "if you freaky then own it. don't brag about it, come show me."

Some kids will have this fly right past them and then others will repeat what they heard to shock others. I think it was a really poor choice and I would expect at least a little bit of noise from some parents over it. Granted, I think there's a lot bigger fish to fry in this world, but using this song at an elementary school function was just a poor choice. bummer.

Kindra178
03-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Damn is considered a swear word by many people. If I thought my kids were going to repeat it, I'd be upset too. I don't want them to think that it's an ok word to use. We are Catholic and do our best to stay faithful to the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church.

As I said above, though, my kids have never heard that song before (neither I nor DH listen to pop, rap or hip hop or even the radio), so very little chance they have heard it before. And if they were in a room fully of kids jumping up and down and the music was blaring, I doubt they'd pay attention to the words. I think a lot still goes over their heads.

Does the Magisterium address the word "damn?" You know I am Catholic too - so unsure why you brought up that reference.

Re: the word damn, pretty sure you can say it on tv.

essnce629
03-24-2016, 05:45 PM
I'd have no problem with it. I've probably heard the song hundreds of times and never noticed it saying damn. I barely notice the lyrics of any song though unless it's blaring the F word or something.

Cam&Clay
03-24-2016, 05:51 PM
I'd be more upset if my kid had to listen to the Kids Bop version of anything!

Seriously, the word damn in a very catchy, fun song is not going to corrupt my kid.

Cam&Clay

Seriously, the word damn in a very catchy, fun song is not going to corrupt my kid.

JBaxter
my 1st grader sings and dances to it all the time. I probably wouldn't give it a second thought.

ChicagoNDMom
Ok, this got me more interested and I looked up the lyrics online, because I thought "damn" was the only potentially objectionable word. I guess I don't listen too closely, because b!tch is in the lyrics, too. "B!tch say my name..."

gatorsmom
03-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Does the Magisterium address the word "damn?" You know I am Catholic too - so unsure why you brought up that reference.

Re: the word damn, pretty sure you can say it on tv.

There are a lot of things that are done on tv that I wouldn't want my kids to see or hear. And the Catechism does address swearing. If you are Catholic you should have a copy. Look it up.

TwinFoxes
03-24-2016, 05:59 PM
There are a lot of things that are done on tv that I wouldn't want my kids to see or hear. And the Catechism does address swearing. If you are Catholic you should have a copy. Look it up.

I think she was asking is damn a swear word, if it doesn't include G. Clearly with G it is. I don't know if "damn" is considered a swear word, especially if it's used like "hot-damn!" As opposed to "damn you!"

bisous
Ok, this got me more interested and I looked up the lyrics online, because I thought "damn" was the only potentially objectionable word. I guess I don't listen too closely, because b!tch is in the lyrics, too. "B!tch say my name..."

I missed all of that stuff! Didn't even really catch the "damn". I'm sensitive to language (so I thought) but in songs a lot of it goes over my head. I'm a fan of a catchy beat. :)

smilequeen
My kids listen to the radio with me and can sing along, so...not upset at all. Do you know for sure it wasn't the clean version anyway? Pretty sure they play a clean version on Disney Radio.

trentsmom
03-24-2016, 06:14 PM
I had no idea the lyric was "Hot damn." I hear "Hot pants." :tongue5: I even just listened to the song again, and it still sounds like "pants."

gatorsmom
03-24-2016, 06:18 PM
I think she was asking is damn a swear word, if it doesn't include G. Clearly with G it is. I don't know if "damn" is considered a swear word, especially if it's used like "hot-damn!" As opposed to "damn you!"

Well, to answer your question, the word damn is profanity like $hit, and the f-word. They don't include God and they aren't aimed at anyone in particular. But it's not a polite word and I wouldn't want my kids saying it or singing it. But the main thing is that if my kids were at this Zumba class they probably wouldn't notice the lyrics and would be busy laughing and jumping around. So probably no harm done.

Staraglimmer
03-24-2016, 06:24 PM
I was taught that damn was actually the worst swear word. That it was like damning someone to hell.

TwinFoxes
03-24-2016, 06:44 PM
I was taught that damn was actually the worst swear word. That it was like damning someone to hell.

I'm thinking "hot damn" and "damn you" are different, but I'm probably wrong. I don't go around saying "hot damn" or "damn you", so I'm probably in the clear either way. :)

Staraglimmer
03-24-2016, 06:48 PM
I'm thinking "hot damn" and "damn you" are different, but I'm probably wrong. I don't go around saying "hot damn" or "damn you", so I'm probably in the clear either way. :)

You are right. I've just always stayed away from that word. I swear sometimes. I'm not perfect at all. I think the problem is that we are desensitizing our kids to things like swearing. This being said, I wouldn't bother complaining.

baymom
03-24-2016, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't be upset at all. Recently, I was volunteering at DD's school and there was a Zumba teacher who had the kids work out to Uptown Funk and most kids sang along for at least bits of the song.

hwin708
03-24-2016, 07:04 PM
It wouldn't bother me.

I also wouldn't think the PE teacher was trying to bring anyone down. It has probably been drilled into her to watch the language in any and every song she plays in class, to the point that when someone doesn't do so, it stands out like a red flag to her. She commented on it because it was extremely overt to someone who has to make a point of noticing such things. She didn't report it or say anything particularly negative. Jut pointed out it is technically a no-no. A good heads up for next time. No biggie.

AnnieW625
03-24-2016, 07:42 PM
My only pause in the song is a kid getting the funk word wrong. There are two versions of the Uptown Special album, one clean, and one explicit (https://www.amazon.com/Uptown-Funk/dp/B00PXAL7JK/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1458861831&sr=1-1&keywords=uptown+special) so I am sure the version played at the school was the clean one (https://www.amazon.com/Uptown-Funk/dp/B00S226A48/ref=sr_1_4?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1458861831&sr=1-4&keywords=uptown+special).

I am Catholic and my kids go to Catholic school and I am not even sure this would be on the radar of many people at our school . Dd1 says they played it at her fit a thon and our school has 4 yr. olds. Dd1 says no to kidz bop as well.

My kids are in big trouble if they swear and they know it, and I don't think that listening to a song with a funky beat desensitizes them to swearing.

doberbrat
03-24-2016, 08:46 PM
my kids are not allowed to sing that song. I dont find the lyrics appropriate for a 6yo to sing. But I would probably not really note that the song was chosen. I would certainly not complain. As I tell my kids, I can only complain about so many things. I wouldnt waste it on this.

Momit
03-24-2016, 09:21 PM
My DS loves that song. All the kids do. He wants to get the newest Just Dance because Uptown Funk is on it. They play Just Dance at school sometimes as a reward or for indoor recess. It would not concern me at all.

Melaine
03-24-2016, 09:21 PM
Since this is coming up, I figure I can share my perspective if anyone is interested. I have friends that swear and I do not have a virgin vocabulary myself. If you knew me in real-life, I doubt you would think I am a prude in daily conversation (though perhaps by definition). However, I find some aspects of cultural swearing to be bothersome from a religious perspective. I don't like to hear damn or hell because I think the constant use has desensitized the culture to it's true meaning. Even for Christians that are very sincere in their faith. For instance, I am bothered when a friend says "working there was hell". That word is not just a word to me. Hell is a real place, something that will really happen. It's not just a place that's super hot. It's a place separated from God. That has a very disturbing and heavy meaning to me. So if you believe in God, you shouldn't be throwing that word around even in hyperbole. I also flinch internally when I hear "Oh my God". Because I love, respect, and fear God. Being flippant about calling on God offends me. Now, I don't say the f-word, sh*t, etc. because I know it offends some people. But personally, I could care less about hearing stuff like that. (Although I do find non-stop swearing communicates ignorance). Now, on a different note, I don't expect everyone to live by my personal convictions. I don't expect a public school to function like a Christian one. There are tons of reasons we homeschool, but avoiding situations like the OP mentions is NOT one of them. I don't mind my children hearing a song like that in public because they understand we have different beliefs and different rules for our family. Anyway, totally a rabbit trail but just my musings on cultural swearing.

Tenasparkl
03-24-2016, 09:46 PM
It wouldn't bother me. We listen to the song and my kids say "too hot, hot clam".

wellyes
03-24-2016, 10:34 PM

I was taught that damn with the word "God" in front of it are the worst, and it's still not a term I'd use because I understand it is very offensive.
Damn, darn and dang seem identical to me and don't register as swear words.

Meatball Mommie
03-25-2016, 08:34 AM
It wouldn't bother me. We listen to the song and my kids say "too hot, hot clam".

:rotflmao:That's hilarious and so cute!

Kindra178
03-25-2016, 08:45 AM
I was taught that damn with the word "God" in front of it are the worst, and it's still not a term I'd use because I understand it is very offensive.
Damn, darn and dang seem identical to me and don't register as swear words.

I don't like G-damnit at all. But that's not the word at issue here.

RiverRat
03-25-2016, 09:49 AM

This exactly. I can't stand the kids bop versions.

And I honestly don't think kids hear the swear words. If it's not a word they know they just replace it with a word they do know, like hot pants or hot clam like pp's mentioned above. My daughters have heard both and hear no difference.

I would also question if in fact it was the real version, but the edited version. An adult brain who knows the words just unconsciously fills in the blanks.

jren
03-25-2016, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't be upset at all over the song. But a bit OT, the pseudo-cursing has really become a problem with kids around here. Lots of elementary-aged kids using "freaking", "oh my gosh", "what the heck". For some kids around us it's literally every other sentence and said with the same emphasis (angrily) as if it were the real thing. I've really had to work on it with my DS, and it can be very confusing for him because it's everywhere. Even his teacher in public K used "oh my God". I didn't have a problem with her use of it, but the teachers didn't really know what to do with a kid in first grade saying "what the heck" or "can you freaking believe this!?", so it hasn't been treated consistently as allowed or not allowed.

Anyway, I've explained to my kids that while they aren't technically using the curse word, adults and other around them can sometimes hear the curse word. It's very easy to think a kid has said "oh crap" instead of "oh scrap". So for us, I'd prefer they stay far away from fake cursing. Also, as they age, fake cursing will easily turn into the real thing and then it's so ingrained in their vocabulary it's become a habit.

ahisma
03-25-2016, 10:34 AM
I don't care about the word "damn", but personally I don't like the lyrics of the song and don't think it's appropriate for an elementary school.

That said, my kids all know it from school and I've never considered complaining about it.

To me - this is what bothers me:

"Funk you up" sure sounds like "F*ck you up." Every time my kids sing it I do a double take.
"If you sexy then flaunt it" - not the messaging I'd chose for kids.
"B*tch say my name you know who I am" - I'm not terribly concerned about "b*tch" in general, but in this context I find it troublesome. It's not how I want my boys to view dialogue with a woman.

Smillow
03-25-2016, 10:34 AM
I wouldn't be upset at all over the song. But a bit OT, the pseudo-cursing has really become a problem with kids around here. Lots of elementary-aged kids using "freaking", "oh my gosh", "what the heck". For some kids around us it's literally every other sentence and said with the same emphasis (angrily) as if it were the real thing. I've really had to work on it with my DS, and it can be very confusing for him because it's everywhere. Even his teacher in public K used "oh my God". I didn't have a problem with her use of it, but the teachers didn't really know what to do with a kid in first grade saying "what the heck" or "can you freaking believe this!?", so it hasn't been treated consistently as allowed or not allowed.

Anyway, I've explained to my kids that while they aren't technically using the curse word, adults and other around them can sometimes hear the curse word. It's very easy to think a kid has said "oh crap" instead of "oh scrap". So for us, I'd prefer they stay far away from fake cursing. Also, as they age, fake cursing will easily turn into the real thing and then it's so ingrained in their vocabulary it's become a habit.

I agree with this. My DS started saying "what the heck" at some point during preschool. I asked him not to say heck and he started saying, "what the..." Which I feel is worse! But it is used all the time in movies and tv shows.

Green_Tea
03-25-2016, 11:17 AM

Wait, what? I attended Catholic schools and was TAUGHT to say oh my gosh! I have never considered these to be pseudo-curses. I have also never heard a child or adult say, "oh, scrap!" - but I might just start ;).

Green_Tea
03-25-2016, 11:21 AM
OP - I would not be bothered at all. I am not sure how any kid or adult has managed to not hear that song, at least incidentally. I've heard it stores, on TV, in other people's cars. It's hugely popular and catchy.

jam224
03-25-2016, 11:25 AM
What's wrong with the Kidz Bop versions?! It's the only way we're able to listen to pop music around here, haha. I appreciate that they create clean, kid-friendly versions.

I don't cuss and it's not part of my vocabulary, so I prefer to not hear it. I would also appreciate it if a school was more diligent about having clean lyrics, so yes, it would bother me, but no, I wouldn't raise a stink about it. I'm probably especially sensitive to profanity, but if I do listen to it in lyrics, yes, it does desensitize me. It's not that I'm going to go out and cuss, obviously, but I'm singing the cuss words in my head, which I don't like. I don't want to say them, I don't want to hear them, and I don't want to internalize them either. I realize I'm probably on the extreme end of anti-cussing though! :)

bisous
03-25-2016, 11:32 AM

I do this and consequently my kids have picked it up. They are especially bad at saying "what the heck?" which just sounds so, I don't know, unrefined and "hick" like when I hear it through them, lol, but not necessarily offensive. Exclamations seem to have a place in conversations. Maybe some are better than others?

The one that offends me more than all others is actually "Oh my God". I can hardly stand it, whereas "gosh" feels different. I have a dear sweet neighbor boy that says it and has no idea that it hurts my ears. I know his mom is working on teaching him not to say it, not because she feels like it is as bad as I do (we haven't talked about his specific use--she just mentioned this to me) but because she's teaching him it can be offensive to some people.

khm
03-25-2016, 11:38 AM
I agree with this. My DS started saying "what the heck" at some point during preschool. I asked him not to say heck and he started saying, "what the..." Which I feel is worse! But it is used all the time in movies and tv shows.

Ha, my son went through a phase of similar! The last word was super drawn out, "What.the.............????? h.....e...ck!" by the time he got the the H, I and I assume anyone else was totally filling in the bad word. The pause just made you anticipate it and notice it way more than if he'd just said "What the heck?". It was frustrating because technically he wasn't "swearing".

AnnieW625
03-25-2016, 11:42 AM
What's wrong with the Kidz Bop versions?! It's the only way we're able to listen to pop music around here, haha. I appreciate that they create clean, kid-friendly versions.

I don't cuss and it's not part of my vocabulary, so I prefer to not hear it. I would also appreciate it if a school was more diligent about having clean lyrics, so yes, it would bother me, but no, I wouldn't raise a stink about it. I'm probably especially sensitive to profanity, but if I do listen to it in lyrics, yes, it does desensitize me. It's not that I'm going to go out and cuss, obviously, but I'm singing the cuss words in my head, which I don't like. I don't want to say them, I don't want to hear them, and I don't want to internalize them either. I realize I'm probably on the extreme end of anti-cussing though! :)

I have never bought them because we just listen to real music in my car or on my iPod. I have the clean button selected for all music although when I am listening to certain songs on the radio (Madonna's Like a Virgin, The Dyvinyls I Touch Myself, or James' Laid are examples) we just change the station. I love Sirius XM because there is so much kid friendly variety out there. We listen to everything from NHL and MLB games to Frank Sinatra and 60s to Bruce Springsteen, to country, and grunge. The only station I can't listen to with my kids in the car is the Faction station, which is punk, and hard rock. The djs like to cuss a lot and the songs aren't clean. When they play old punk like The Ramones, The Clash, Henry Rollins, and Social Distortion it is better.

My kids love the band Sweet, The Ramones, and the Beatles. Dd2 though loves Ella Fitzgerald.

We say what the heck too and it doesn't bother me.

wellyes
03-25-2016, 11:46 AM
"B*tch say my name you know who I am" - I'm not terribly concerned about "b*tch" in general, but in this context I find it troublesome. It's not how I want my boys to view dialogue with a woman.

Getting very OT here, but, that line is not talking to women. 'Bitch' transcends gender when used at the beginning or end of a sentence. At the beginning it conveys power and preening (https://www.google.com/search?q=bitch+I%27m+fabulous&biw=1280&bih=889&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis48DwltzLAhUJaT4KHaCaB20Q_AUIBigB). At the end of a sentence it conveys disdain..... think of Jesse Pinkman, he used that line 1000x times, I think always when talking to a man.

Corie
03-25-2016, 12:46 PM
It totally would NOT bother me!!! I would be bothered by the fact that I missed a chance to hear it and dance along! :)

Corie
03-25-2016, 12:47 PM

LOL! I'm right there with you on the Kids Bop songs. Not a fan!

boolady
03-25-2016, 12:57 PM
OP - I would not be bothered at all. I am not sure how any kid or adult has managed to not hear that song, at least incidentally. I've heard it stores, on TV, in other people's cars. It's hugely popular and catchy.

:yeahthat: The Super Bowl halftime show...

MMMommy
03-25-2016, 02:56 PM
Another NOT a fan of Kids Bop. I really don't want to hear popular songs sung by kids, when the original artist sounds much better (usually).

mmommy
03-25-2016, 03:20 PM
The song being played at school wouldn't bother me at all. I don't love the song personally, but I can see its appeal.

I find Kids Bop much more offensive. I want my kids to love and appreciate music, not be belittled by their horrible arrangements.

jren
03-25-2016, 03:33 PM
Wait, what? I attended Catholic schools and was TAUGHT to say oh my gosh! I have never considered these to be pseudo-curses. I have also never heard a child or adult say, "oh, scrap!" - but I might just start ;).

I don't have an issue with omg said in an excited way. But it's said in anger directed at someone who is annoying the kid speaking it. And scrap sound so much like crap when my kid says it, I always do a double take. He's very articulate and it hasn't been hard for him to come up with other ways to express himself. Honestly, I'm not a prude. I even curse at times when it's called for! It was just getting way out of hand with my kid.