PDA

View Full Version : Help: Ds feels like he has a cat hair in his throat and will choke.

JustMe
03-24-2016, 11:29 PM
So, this started Sunday night. Ds was playing with our cat and then began saying he had a cat hair in his throat. He was crying, etc. It was obvious he was breathing fine, so I calmed him down, did a search and got him to gargle and try to eat chewy things (which he said he couldn't do). I thought it would go away one way or another, but Monday evening we were at urgent care. Dr said she could see way down his throat and he was fine..it also wasn't an asthma attack as he was breathing well and his lungs were fine. Ds was pacified by this, but still said he had the feeling, it hurt, etc..well, he is refusing to eat many things saying he will choke and cries at times about this feeling. An internet search shows many have had this problem and it is often unresolved--or I have seen everything from acid reflux to some kind of spasm.

So, we have another dr's appt tomorrow. Of course his regular pediatrician is out so we are seeing someone else...but I am kind of going crazy here and he is already there. Any suggestions, ideas, or experience?

Kindra178
03-24-2016, 11:56 PM
I think it's allergies, specifically to tree pollen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama
03-25-2016, 12:27 AM
Has he eaten some bread or a bagel? That might help move whatever could be stuck? Poor guy.

JustMe
03-25-2016, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the replies.

As far as allergies, he has been tested (although it is close to a year) and he is allergic to grass, but not tree pollen. I would love it to be allergies because that can be taken care of. It did happen very suddenly and he had been playing with the cat..I made an appt with his allergist, but it is not until 4/13. I guess we will see what the dr says tomorrow--although I could give buy him some allergy meds and see if that helps if the dr doesn't come up with anything (its not his allergy season, so we don't have any of those meds on hand).

As far as the bagel/other chewy food, I have tried this, but he starts crying and panicking saying he is going to choke and refuses to eat it after a few chews.

mackmama
03-25-2016, 12:53 AM
I tend to believe him that something is stuck there - or was - and either caused inflammation or a scratch. I'd try warm tea or soup and maybe ask the doc if Advil would be worth trying in case there is inflammation? I'd also keep trying to give him little bites of bread or even a little honey.

citymama
03-25-2016, 01:14 AM
Eek, poor baby! I feel for him - I know that kind of sensation would drive me nuts, more so as a kid. No advice other than to try soothing foods and beverages -warm tea, honey, lozenges even. Hope you can get this sorted out soon.

Melaine
03-25-2016, 06:11 AM
One more suggestion is fizzy drinks, like soda. My friend had a pill stuck in her throat and went to the ER. They gave her a coke and it got it down, although water would not. I have had issues like this and I feel for him! Hope ya'll get it taken care of quick!

liz
03-25-2016, 06:52 AM
I tend to believe him that something is stuck there - or was - and either caused inflammation or a scratch. .

Poor guy! If he had something stuck, it may have irritated his throat or esophagus. Liguid Tylenol would be a better choice since it's less irritating than ibuprofen, if needed. Give liquids like PP mentioned. Avoid solids for now if he's refusing it. Hopefully the doctor will be helpful. Just throwing this out, do you think he swallowed something? A toy, coin etc? An xray might be helpful to rule that out.

specialp
03-25-2016, 07:30 AM
:yeahthat: I had that happen with a chip when I was kid. I inhaled while eating a chip and a too big piece went down and got stuck and I started coughing. Over quickly, but I swear I felt that chip stuck in my throat for a couple of weeks although obviously it was long gone. Every time I swallowed food, I could feel it go over the sore spot and it bothered me for a while. I never worried about choking, but you couldn't pay me to eat a chip or cracker for a long time after that.

MSWR0319
03-25-2016, 08:34 AM
Allergies or reflux have both given me that feeling and it drives.me.nuts!!! It took quite awhile for the inflammation to go away.