PDA

View Full Version : Did you let DC out of booster seat before they were 57" tall?

DietCokeLover
03-25-2016, 08:49 AM
Dd and DS are begging to be out of the booster. I mean daily begging. They are both 53". None of their friends are still in boosters, even younger, shorter friends. I am completely torn. Part of me wants to get rid of them and part says, what if something happened.

Staraglimmer
03-25-2016, 08:53 AM
My daughter is 57 inches and still in a 5-point. So, no. She won't be out of a booster early. I don't care what other people do with their kids. I want my girls to be as safe as possible. If God forbid, something happened I would like to know in my heart that I protected them to the best of my ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

georgiegirl
03-25-2016, 09:09 AM
DD (10) is 56" and I've let her ride without a booster a few times in friends parents cars. It was in the third row of SUVs, so I'm guessing she probably passed the test. She once rode in DHs car without anything when I dropped my car off to be serviced and couldn't find our bubblebum. She looked fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
03-25-2016, 09:15 AM
Dd1 is 55" tall, almost 10 yrs. old and yes she has sat in car without a booster seat, but we didn't start until she was 9 yrs. old. I wasn't comfortable doing it until then, and even then that was just around town with in other people's cars. She had friends who were out of booster seats as soon as they turned 8 and had the law now changed in 2012 to 60lbs or 8 yrs. old they probably would've been 6 or 7 instead. Dd1 just started using a Safety First Incognito and she is happy with it.

DD1 definitely passes the test in a 3rd row SUV, and almost if not in a third row mini van. It is a harder fit in a sedan, but I don't stress out about it as much anymore if she is in another parents car that is a sedan.

Maturity has a lot to do with this decision as well. If she were a 57" 6-8 yr. old then no I wouldn't want her in just a seatbelt. We started booster training DD1 at 5/1/2 and she knew the rules, and if she didn't follow them she would be back in her harnessed Frontier. She saw being in a belted booster as a "big kid" thing and if she was able to comply with the rules she could be in a belted booster.

KrisM
03-25-2016, 09:20 AM
We just go by the 5-step test. DS1 could easily pass in my friends car before he was 5'7", but in my minivan he could not.

doberbrat
03-25-2016, 10:32 AM
No. dd1 10 is now 59.75 in tall and still in a booster. Recently she's been in the 3rd row of my van w/o a booster 2 -3 times but she can sit correctly there due to the small seat and her long legs.

dd2 is 48in tall ~50lbs and still in a 5pt seat.

If anything should happen, I want to know I did all within my power to keep my kids safe. No 'if only I had...'

FWIW, I also do not allow begging for stuff like that. I make the decision and its final and not subject to negotiation. Begging/whining/repeatedly asking would be grounds for punishment. - likely in the form of a writing assignment on car safety. ;)

niccig
03-25-2016, 10:34 AM
We just go by the 5-step test. DS1 could easily pass in my friends car before he was 5'7", but in my minivan he could not.
Same here. DS passes 5-step test in DH's car but not in mine, so he's still in a booster. He's 11 and knows he has to stay in the booster. It's slim gray booster so blends with the car.

candaceb
03-25-2016, 12:16 PM
We are nowhere near this point but would get them safety first incognitos.

bisous
03-25-2016, 12:50 PM
I also use the 5 step test. I find boosters to be so easy (compared to car seats) that I just don't feel in too much of a hurry to give them up before the kids are ready. DS1 is almost as tall as I am and totally out of a booster. DS2 knows he still needs to sit in one for quite some time. None of his friends use one but he knows he needs it to be safe! :)

BunnyBee
03-25-2016, 02:13 PM
My older two passed the "test" before that height.

wencit
03-25-2016, 04:40 PM
DS1 is 55" and still sits in a booster seat. I drove him and his classmates on a couple field trips this year, and he even sat in it with them around. When questioned about the booster, he just shrugged and replied, "It's safer." Of course, he's my super cautious, rule following child, so it's easy to enforce. Not sure what I'd do if he was begging me every day! Probably get an Incognito.

kep
03-25-2016, 05:24 PM

We 5-step as well. It's not just height that is a concern, it's overall seatbelt fit. Sometimes even different seating positions in the same car can fit differently.

essnce629
03-25-2016, 07:19 PM
Yes to this as well. DS1 passed the 5-step test in DH's car and our carpool's car (both sedans) at age 10, but used the Incognito booster in my car (Mazda5) till he was a few months past 11.

I would get them both Incognito boosters:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLXBHIU/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_-EC9wbMYHNFAA

TwinFoxes
03-25-2016, 08:09 PM
Yes to this as well. DS1 passed the 5-step test in DH's car and our carpool's car (both sedans) at age 10, but used the Incognito booster in my car (Mazda5) till he was a few months past 11.

I would get them both Incognito boosters:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLXBHIU/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_-EC9wbMYHNFAA

This looked awesome, except the minimum weight is 60 pounds according to that (which seems like a lot). My girls aren't even 45 pounds. Sigh. Luckily they've not complained, but I've noticed that at their school turning eight means adios booster. 48 inches and 44 pounds is too small for them to sit without a booster. Sorry kiddos.

OP I don't know what I'd do. It's an easy decision for me since DDs aren't even close.

DietCokeLover
03-25-2016, 08:58 PM
OP here. They are in Incognitos. My mama gut says stay in, but I think I just needed to hear that others still have dc in boosters since NO ONE here does. I needed to hear that I am not being too tough on them. Thanks for the reassurance.

RiverRat
03-25-2016, 10:37 PM
Could you have a compromise of some sort? Like are you close enough to home that they could ride to school in seat belts but back in boosters for longer drives? Assuming they are the right weight/height and passing the test. Just a thought.

Staraglimmer
03-25-2016, 11:06 PM
What about this?
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160325/213a29bd95fa11e7863dfab17ac473d9.jpg

smilequeen
03-25-2016, 11:30 PM
In a pinch, I wouldn't sweat it, but in general, no. They have to pass the 5 step test and my oldest was definitely 4'9" when that happened (10 years old). My middle hates it because none of his friends ride in boosters, but different families, different rules.

lalasmama
03-25-2016, 11:43 PM
DD had to pass the 5-pt test... which means, at 12yo, 58", and 80lbs, she just sat outboard in our SUV for the first time this month. She fit our old sedan outboard at 10 or so. We're pretty "serious" with the booster, even taking it on vacation, since we just didn't know how she would fit. The new car we got (Honda Accord) doesn't fit her as well... but she's in the middle of a growth spurt, so I imagine she will fit better very soon. The shoulder belt just hits a smidgen high.

She's begging to sit in the front seat, and knows it's (generally) not allowed until she's 14.

jren
03-26-2016, 07:58 AM
I made mine wait until she was 57" and passed the 5pt. test. She was an early bloomer though, so I think she was maybe 8? She's 12 now and sits in the front seat to get a break from her little brother to and from school. She's 5'3" and 123 lbs though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
03-26-2016, 09:22 AM
MY DS is newly 10, 55" tall and still has a backless booster in my car. He does not 5 step in my Ford Edge. That said, when I send him with other families for hockey I do not send a booster, none of the other kids who are the same size still sit in a booster, in fact, my friend had her tiny tiny 6 year old who is the size of a 4 year old without any booster, I unfortunately made a comment as she had the seatbelt behind her back, I said "oh let me grab her booster from the back" as I have seen her in a booster before. The mom who is a good friend was like, oh we didn't bring it (this was a 3 hour trip). She was shocked I made DS still sit in a booster. For rides with others I"m ok, but in my car he's fine and hasn't really said too much as he knows he can see better and the belt fits better. To the OP, it's a battle that you need to decide what your comfort level is.

citymama
05-11-2016, 02:03 AM
I would let then beg, cajole, guilt trip, whatever. No dice. My older DD just turned 10, is 57 inches and still in a booster. Has she ever ridden without? Yes, for a few carpools and occasions when we are squeezing an adult in the back seat. Probably starting at 55". Stay where you are, kids!

pastrygirl
05-11-2016, 09:04 AM
I follow the 5-step test, for the most part. My son will be 10 next month and I guess I've drilled car seat safety into him so much that when he sees a kid not in a booster or car seat, he says (to me) they're not as safe as he is.

But, I don't sweat it much. I provide a booster for him in other cars when I can. In my car, he passes the 5-step in the middle seat because of the hump in the floor. I'm not sure if that's legit, but we let him ride there during the rare times that we need 5 people in my car.

My younger son will complain and beg soon, I'm sure! He is a wiggle worm and I still have to remind him to sit correctly, so there's no way I'll let him out early.

flashy09
05-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Maybe try the Incognito? It blends in with the car and is barely noticeable. I would definitely stay in a booster until they past the 5 step test.

almostmom
05-11-2016, 10:29 AM
My kids were out of the booster around the age of 8 I think. Both are tall and not super skinny. They are mature, not wild. The seatbelts seemed to be a good location on their body. I was fine with it. I know I'm in the minority here, but I really felt fine about it. DD is 58 inches now at 10, so was probably 4-6 inches shorter when she stopped using a booster.

georgiegirl
05-11-2016, 10:53 AM
DD (10) is 56" and passes the 5 point test in the third row of our minivan but not in the captains chair (close). I let her ride without a booster in friends cars. She's usually in the third row.

KpbS
05-11-2016, 11:26 AM
I just met a 12 yo (neuro typical) who is in a highback booster. Keep on rockin'!!

bisous
05-11-2016, 11:35 AM
DS2 is in 3rd grade so all kids were older than 8, which is the age limit in California. Recently DS2 went on a field trip and not one other child used a booster, but DS2 did. He doesn't seem to view it with shame. I'm glad for that! He's still quite a ways away from qualifying for the 5 point test.

Simon
05-11-2016, 11:47 AM
IIWY, I would tell my kids about the 5 step test and make them demonstrate that they pass it. If yes, then they are free to skip the booster. If not, then no dice.

Kindra178
05-11-2016, 12:53 PM
I barely know any 7 year olds (except mine) in a booster, let alone 9 year olds. We switched ds1 out at nine - he was 4 foot 7 inches. For long trips, he still rides in a high back.

lalasmama
05-11-2016, 02:56 PM
I let DD out of a booster when she met the 5-point test. It differed per each vehicle we were in.

calebsmama03
05-11-2016, 07:31 PM
I let them out when they pass the "test" for seatbelt fit *in the car they were riding in*. So DD was out of a booser in the back row of my car but still used one for the middle row and for DHs car. That's a nice, objective measure and you're not "the bad guy" for making them stay in a booster. ;) They also stop bugging you about it because they know what needs to happen before they're out of the booster.

westwoodmom04
05-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Yes, I got I'd of the booster seat when my kids turned eight. They were probably not 57 inches but close.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-31-2016, 02:04 AM
older DD is 61" and 13 years old and uses a high back booster in our van because she doesn't pass the 5 step test there yet. She prefers the high back booster for long trips so she can sleep. In our other car she passes the 5 step test, so no booster there.

I just turned my 7.5 year old forward facing because she just hit 45 pounds and was no over the height limit for her 5 point harness seat rear facing.