PDA

View Full Version : if you drive a recalled Honda, are you asking for a loaner?

candaceb
03-26-2016, 08:39 PM
I got the Honda recall letter last week. They won't have parts until June. If I request it, they will give me a rental until then. A friend did it on Friday, and they gave her a Honda Civic to replace her CR-V (which is what I also drive). Part of me would like the rental, for the safety aspect and I have to admit it sounds nice to not put miles on my car for a couple of months including a 1400 mile round trip for spring break. However, I also worry about the insurance/liability aspects driving a rental for that long.

http://hondaairbaginfo.com/takata-airbag-inflator-recall-fact-sheet/#drrp

AnnieW625
03-27-2016, 01:00 AM
Our airbag recall repair for our Pilot only took a day to fix, and we had a rental for the day and it was fine. We drove out Pilot for a good six months before we got our repair was done and we had friends who had to wait a long time as well and none of us requested a rental until the day we actually needed to have the repair done. I would think driving a rental for two months until the part comes in would be a bit of overkill IMHO.

ckso
03-27-2016, 04:13 AM
I got the Honda recall letter last week. They won't have parts until June. If I request it, they will give me a rental until then. A friend did it on Friday, and they gave her a Honda Civic to replace her CR-V (which is what I also drive). Part of me would like the rental, for the safety aspect and I have to admit it sounds nice to not put miles on my car for a couple of months including a 1400 mile round trip for spring break. However, I also worry about the insurance/liability aspects driving a rental for that long.

http://hondaairbaginfo.com/takata-airbag-inflator-recall-fact-sheet/#drrp

What is the insurance/liability aspects with a rental?

I have an Acura but also got the same recall notice with a notice that parts won't be available for repair until summer

I'm contemplating what to do as well. Is there a "con" in driving a rental that long?

Of course the pro is the safety aspect mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

jren
03-27-2016, 06:47 AM
Our airbag recall repair for our Pilot only took a day to fix, and we had a rental for the day and it was fine. We drove out Pilot for a good six months before we got our repair was done and we had friends who had to wait a long time as well and none of us requested a rental until the day we actually needed to have the repair done. I would think driving a rental for two months until the part comes in would be a bit of overkill IMHO.

Our airbag recall for our CR-V was a while ago and DH also drove it for months and months (until I nagged him to finally get it fixed before they ran out of parts). It's fine as long as you aren't in an accident where the airbag would deploy. I would've felt comfortable driving around town at low speeds, but not highway driving. DH did actually get in an accident with DD in the car. It was minor and the airbag didn't deploy, but I made him get it fixed the next day. It only took a few minutes to fix and he didn't even need a rental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrisM
03-27-2016, 08:30 AM
I'd be fine driving the recall car if I never had to do a long trip or go on the freeway. But, having a potentially faulty airbag on a trip or regular highway driving would worry me. I'd ask for a rental.

hillview
03-27-2016, 09:44 AM
I'd ask for a rental

AnnieW625
03-27-2016, 10:03 AM
Our airbag recall for our CR-V was a while ago and DH also drove it for months and months (until I nagged him to finally get it fixed before they ran out of parts). It's fine as long as you aren't in an accident where the airbag would deploy. I would've felt comfortable driving around town at low speeds, but not highway driving. DH did actually get in an accident with DD in the car. It was minor and the airbag didn't deploy, but I made him get it fixed the next day. It only took a few minutes to fix and he didn't even need a rental.

It wasn't laziness on our part that we had to drive the car for so long without getting the airbag fixed it was the fact that no dealership had the parts to fix the recall. We called initially to make the appointment and the dealer took our name and number and said they would call us when the part was in. They did that, but there was still a two week wait or so to get the car fixed because the appointments booked up crazy fast.

That is great that you were able to get yours fixed ASAP because that was just not the case here and we got ours fixed in April or May, 2015.

I'd be fine driving the recall car if I never had to do a long trip or go on the freeway. But, having a potentially faulty airbag on a trip or regular highway driving would worry me. I'd ask for a rental.

DH's commute is half freeway/half city streets, but it would be considerably longer if he just made it all city streets. We drove the car on the freeway all of the time with the kids in the car and honestly during the recall period I didn't think twice about not doing that. :bag?

jren
03-27-2016, 11:10 AM
DH probably got his fixed so fast because of his laziness! All the other people in our area had done theirs.

candaceb
03-27-2016, 11:14 AM
What is the insurance/liability aspects with a rental?

I have an Acura but also got the same recall notice with a notice that parts won't be available for repair until summer

I'm contemplating what to do as well. Is there a "con" in driving a rental that long?

Of course the pro is the safety aspect mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

My concern is primarily the liability for lost rental days if something awful happened to the rental car. I know people who have been hit with those charges.
I am going to call the dealer to find out how it all works tomorrow. Especially since we have a big trip planned over spring break, I think it would be smart to not be driving the recalled car since we have that option.
My friend got her loaner from a regular car rental place - not the dealer. The dealer called and authorized it. That's why I'm concerned about liability. If Honda is assuming all the liability, it's a no-brainer. The parts aren't going to be available until June and that's a long time to be driving a car with a potentially fatal defect when there is an alternative. My area is pretty rural and I have to get on the highway to go most places including my basic shopping like Target.

candaceb
03-30-2016, 02:47 PM
UPDATE - I picked up my 2016 Jeep Compass at Enterprise today. The only insurance that Enterprise offers is a $300 a month policy that covers everything. I don't need everything covered because my regular car insurance covers everything except for loss of use (I called them and confirmed this). Enterprise will not sell me just loss of use coverage. So when I do the math of $600 plus for insurance or self-insuring against loss of use, I'm going with self-insurance.

Nyfeara
04-01-2016, 09:35 AM
We got a rental. I always remember some statistic about how most accidents occur within a 5-10 mile radius of home, which makes sense - that's the area you travel the most. We did the same thing as the poster above, we're letting our regular car insurance handle it. The rental companies here are in major competition with each other. We rented a larger SUV (GMC Acadia) b/c we were taking a road trip just after getting the recall notice. When we returned the car, we mentioned to that company that we were returning the car and going with a different company b/c they were giving us a CRV equivalent for the $35/day that Honda would cover (which this company did not offer initially). He then offered to keep us in the Acadia at the same rate and to apply that rate to the days that we had already rented the car so that we would not have any overage to pay ourselves.

We were not comfortable taking the risk, many of our main streets are 40-55 mph here, crowded, and drivers can be crazy.