PDA

View Full Version : s/o: what were/are your parents jobs? (and in laws)

AnnieW625
03-27-2016, 08:39 PM
My dad has spent his entire 44 yr. career in the beer and wine sales industry. So he is a salesman and he is great at what he does. During that time he has managed two beer and wine stores, a grocery store (which he hated), sold for small and large distributers, and now works for himself doing it 1099 work for smaller wineries by selling the wines at Costco.

My mom was a SAHM until I was 17, but pre kids (so four years after she got married) she worked in a billing office of a department store, and then when I was 17 worked as an office manager trainee and later office manager of a Montessori school, and in the last 7 yrs. has done the same thing for a variety of different companies from the diocese, a CPA, and most recently a travel agency. She has sadly been laid off from each one of her jobs due to budget cuts, but her resume says office manager.

My FIL spent 8 yrs. enlisted in the Air Force, then spent another 12 in the reserves and he was a jet engine mechanic. He learned to fly small planes at the same time and was a flight instructor which led to a mechanic position with the FAA, and then later both an air worthiness inspector and the next step above that (forgetting the title). He has an AS in business, but very easily could have gotten a 4 yr. degree in aeronautical engineering or something like that had his parents given him the option to go to college, but he was at least smart enough to enlist in a non infantry position and would've qualified right out of high school to be a NCO helicopter pilot, but chose a mechanic instead. He is probably the smartest person without a degree I know.

My mil spent 35 yrs. in state government and took as little time off when she had her kids as she just want cut out Ito be a SAHM. She has an AS in Business.

poll coming

georgiegirl
03-27-2016, 08:51 PM
My father is a CPA
My mom was a librarian at public library. She was the lead librarian for over 20 years before she retired.

My ILs lived in a communist country, so their jobs were a little different. Mil says she was an economist, but that simple means she did something business related for the government. FIL was supposedly an engineer (pretty much every a was an economist or engineer under communism.). After the fall of communism, he was unable to hold down a steady job. Mil worked for her BIL in medical sales after the fall.

KrisM
03-27-2016, 09:02 PM
Where do you put engineer? Not an executive. Didn't need an advanced degree. My dad and FIL were both engineers.

hillview
03-27-2016, 09:09 PM
My dad was a senior level exec and then a consultant.
My mom was an an administrative assistant

gymnbomb
03-27-2016, 09:16 PM
My Mom was a lot of different things, most recently the director of a public library. My stepdad was an army officer for almost 20 years and now is an editor (for but not in the army). My dad worked in the public relations department of the department of education (mostly writing and photography). All 3 have masters degrees. My stepmother passed away a few years ago, but she did administrative and financial things for a commercial real estate firm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ArizonaGirl
03-27-2016, 09:50 PM
My Dad - Senior engineer for a large company

My Mom - MS and HS teacher

My FIL - blue collar worker (farm machine repairs, sealing streets, etc)

My MIL - worked for AT&T for a while and for the last 10 years...nothing

niccig
03-27-2016, 10:07 PM
My mother - teacher
My father - army, business owner in agriculture, then long-distance truck driver

MIL - nurse (went back to school later to get RN)
FIL - nurse anesthetist (went back to school later to get bachelors)

My grandfather (mother's father) had his PhD and was a research scientist. His children all had bachelor degrees. Out of all his grandchildren, only one didn't go to college, 2 have PhDs, 1 has 2 Masters, and 2 have Bachelors Degrees. DH's family is similar in that all his siblings went to college.

ahisma
03-27-2016, 10:38 PM
My mom - teacher when I was a toddler, then homebound with chronic illness
My dad - White House when I was young, then a house painter.

It was a wild ride.

MIL - teacher
FIL - construction project manager

They have done quite well and are very well situated. Lots of frugality, but FIL has built and sold many amazing properties that have served them well.

Grandparents on my side were in education (teaching and admin) and military. All of my aunts and uncles were college educated, many with higher degrees.

MIL's father was a philosopher and founded two colleges. He is well known in the academic field.
FIL's parents struggled in many ways. He had a rough childhood and overcame a great deal.

ett
03-28-2016, 01:31 AM
my dad - college professor
my mom - worked w/juvenile delinquents in native country; when we moved to the US, she was first a SAHM and then daycare teacher, and after that administrative assistant.

FIL - pediatrician
MIL - teacher in native country; helped FIL in private ped. practice when they moved to the US

klwa
03-28-2016, 07:56 AM
My parents were both school teachers. Mom in elementary, Dad in high school. By the time I was in high school, my dad was an administrator in the school. (Sometimes assistant principal, sometimes "drop out prevention coordinator", but admin levels.) After retirement, my dad took a job as town administrator for my home town and stayed there for 10+ years.

FIL was a draftsman, who then moved up the ranks into an engineering position and later into management. MIL was a SAHM, who had various secretarial jobs before & after.

IansMom
03-28-2016, 08:19 AM
My dad is an attorney. My mother has an MSW but was a SAHM after my sister was born when I was 4. I stayed with a relative until then. My brother is 14 years younger than me, and she went to work in a daycare when he was about 6 months so she could take him with her. When he was in middle school, she went back to social work and worked in the county senior services office.

My paternal grandmother and grandfather worked in factories although my grandfather did teach school for a time. My maternal grandmother was a hairdresser. My maternal grandfather had an MS degree, and was a teacher and the assistant principal at the Black high school. After integration, he was the science teacher at the integrated high school. He and his immediate family overcame a lot, including his older brother being lynched at 13.

My FIL was an engineer. My MIL was a teacher and now operated a day care center. DH's grandparents owned landsand maintained farms in rural Texas.

khalloc
03-28-2016, 09:13 AM
My dad worked at a natural gas utility company for somewhere around 50 years. He was a serviceman.
My mom had different jobs, mostly doing secretarial/admin assistant work.
Neither of my parents went to college.

My FIL had an engineering degree, but eventually ran his own auto-parts business.
My MIL had an accounting degree. She worked for FILs business and eventually at other businesses doing accounting.
They both went thru 4 years of college.

AnnieW625
03-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Where do you put engineer? Not an executive. Didn't need an advanced degree. My dad and FIL were both engineers.

I ran out of space so sadly they go with other, but I had engineers as their own category until the end and then decided I needed an other category. :shrug:

megs4413
03-28-2016, 11:42 AM
My dad was a lawyer, but lost his job when I was in elementary school and struggled to stay employed from then on (mostly due to mental illness.)

My mom did whatever job kept a roof over our heads. So, she was all over the place. I don't think she stayed anywhere more than a few years. Mostly administrative or HR stuff.

My FIL was the director of development (read: fundraiser) for a very, very small Bible college. It paid next to nothing, but it was his ministry. After my Dh grew up, his faither left that job to raise funds for a larger university and made much more money.

My MIL did all sorts of things. She was a sales rep for Golden Books for a little while and then ended up managing the bookstore at the small college where my FIL worked.

It's worth noting that all of our parents had advanced degrees. My mom holds a masters in human resources. MIL has a masters (but I can't remember what it's in). FIL had his MBA. My dad has a JD. None of them ever made much money consistently.

MaiseyDog
03-28-2016, 12:15 PM
My parents had very middle class jobs. I was a little put out when doing the Bubble survey because they seemed to leave out those low paying white collar jobs. My dad was the manager of a local retail clothing store then changed to a furniture manufacturing company working in customer service. My mom stayed at home until I was in High school then was a secretary/scheduler at a concrete company. She now works at a non-profit health clinic scheduling volunteers and doing other general secretary type stuff. They both had college degrees, but they were not really using their degrees. I just feel like so many of the surveys looking at socioeconomic issues leave out these low to mid tier white collar jobs. They aren't out there getting their hands dirty with manual labor, but they aren't management or executives.

catsnkid
03-28-2016, 01:28 PM
My dad was a district attorney for most of his career, he did spend a few years in private practice.
My mom was a juvenile probation officer, a SAHM for 10 years, then a process server (sheriff), and for awhile she sold books and some antiques online.

My exMIL worked retail and then at a car insurance company.
My ex FIL is an engineer, he owns a company marketing his computer program that helps load container ships. His company is in Asia.

bisous
03-28-2016, 01:32 PM
My parents are divorced so we have a lot of people, here!

Dad: CPA
StepMom: Environmentalist works for various gov't agencies

StepDad: Mechanical Design Engineer
Mom: Teacher

FIL: Owner of Industrial Design Firm (My StepDad and Dad worked together on projects years before DH and I met, lol)
MIL: SAHM

citymama
03-28-2016, 01:40 PM
Dad is a small business owner - an engineer by training. Mom has bopped around but been in the travel industry most of her career, now does training and adult education. MIL is a professor and DIL is an aeronautical engineer. Three PhDs among our parents.

JBaxter
03-28-2016, 01:57 PM
Mom : Own her own beauty shop then went back to nursing school when I was in middle school she got her BSN about 10 yrs later
Dad : Own his own business ( gas station / mechanic) then union truck driver
MIL : BS in business admin I think but was a homemaker
FIL : BS in business was a loan officer with a bank

LOL you spelled educator wrong

gatorsmom
03-28-2016, 02:42 PM
My mom dropped out of high school to work in a clothing factory back in the 50's. After us kids were in grade school she got a part time job in a school food service. She said they never asked her if she graduated from high school and she left that spot blank on the application. She worked there for 26 years before she retired.

My dad's parents moved off the farm and bought a little moving company. My dad worked for them as a delivery driver. He eventually worked his way up to semi driver for his parents with a CDL. When they wanted to retire, Dh bought their business from them. He owned it and managed it for about 40 years before he left it to my brother. So I guess I grew up blue collar? Even though dad owned his company and ran it.

FIL got a bachelors degree from USC in geology and chemistry. He began working for Down Chemical and eventually worked his way up to senior VP at An oil and gas company in Houston. That is what he was doing when I met him.

MIL dropped out of college to become a SAHM.

jren
03-28-2016, 03:43 PM
My dad was president of a bank. My mom was a school teacher but after divorcing my dad, she went back to school and became a mental health therapist.

DH's parents are high school grads. His dad has worked for a lumber yard since HS, but in the office in charge of purchasing for many years. His mom was a SAHM and has tried various odd jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vludmilla
03-28-2016, 04:37 PM
My mother is a child psychologist. My dad has a degree in biology and teaching, but after a short stint in teaching, he took a job doing overnight deliveries that offered a much higher salary than teachers usually earn.

My FIL is a retired math professor with a PhD in mathematics and a master's degree in engineering. My MIL was a SAHM for many years before going to graduate school to become an elementary science teacher.

DualvansMommy
03-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Dad is a entrepreneur; owning a butcher that he inherited from his father who died, sold it to buy a bakery/cafe. Bought a hotel with 3 other partners, used proceeds from the sale to buy his steak restaurant and over the years sold/bought different type of restaurants. Stayed with a bistro restaurant since 1995 and is in early stages of selling it to retire full time.

Mum: worked in library, retail then in my fathers businesses while they were married. After separation, she worked as hostess with part time hours from when I was 6-13 years old. Returned back to school to get her bachelors in addictions counseling. Worked as a therapist for an inpatient addiction center till she retired 4 years ago, but returned after 18 months to work part time there.

Stepmom; BS and masters in microbiology, but ended up working alongside in building up their businesses with my father for 30 years.

MIL: legal secretary for a large law firm.

FIL: HS teacher at a public school and painter during summers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maestramommy
03-28-2016, 08:39 PM
My Dad was a professor right out of grad school until my teens. After a few years of intinerant work he became a pastor. He already had his MDiv from long ago but didn't enter the ministry because my mom was against. Guess she changed her mind :) He was a pastor until he retired at the age of 79.

Mom was a HS math teacher back in Taiwan. But she didn't have a degree from this country so she worked in various admin and purchasing dept jobs until her retirement. She was a SAHM until I was about 9.

FIL was a chemical engineer and formed his own company designing and manufacturing LCDs. MIL had her masters in chemistry and worked in a medical company of some kind until FIL opened his company.

hellokitty
03-28-2016, 10:22 PM
My mom- Trained as a nurse and midwife, but was a sahm, let her license lapse, b/c my dad made her quit.
My dad- Physician

Mil- seamstress (maybe a jr high education at most)
Fil- he considered himself an electrical engineer, but I'm not sure that was the proper title, he had a technical degree that wasn't really the same as a traditional BS degree (he got his degree in south korea), ended up working maintenance and then co-owned a tv repair shop

StantonHyde
03-28-2016, 11:23 PM
My Dad--MD. His dad was a welder, which was a huge deal because he was actually ABOVE ground in the coal mines. And grandpa's dad was a mine foreman. The worked up slowly then BAM--got out.of.there. My dad grew up in utter poverty.

My mom--Nurse, then nursing professor. She had a nice middle class upbringing.

MIL--nurse, then Dean of Nursing College--first to go to college. only family member to make it out of Iowa :-)

FIL--computer programmer for missle silo--first to go to college