PDA

View Full Version : Growing out bangs?

trcy
03-28-2016, 09:22 AM
Against my better judgement, I let myself get talked into getting bangs for 5 year old DD. She has had them for a few months and I am not loving them. Even DH agrees, we should grow them out. Any tips, tricks, or great ideas to get through the 'awkward stage'? I have yet to find a barrette that will hold her hair. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

lalasmama
03-28-2016, 10:10 AM
We're going through this with DD right now. We've made it past the barrette phase, and are into the long-enough-to-tuck-behind-the-ear-but-oblivious-enough-to-not-do-it phase. Even at 11yo, a lot of it was us helping her take care of barrettes and such so she didn't looks like a complete ragamuffin the whole time. Her hair grows slowly, so we're at about 6-8 months so far.

We used snap barrettes (the little metal ones that you bend and they "snap" together). The secret for them working, though, is that I apply puff paint to them for "grip" or they slide right out of DD's hair.

nfceagles
03-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Barrettes don't work very well in my DDs hair either and she's outgrowing bangs. I often use those little rubber bands that I had left over from toddlerhood to pull the bang area back. I think a barrette would look better but these actually stay in.

trcy
03-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Thanks, I going to try the puff paint trick. She is starting K in August, so I am hopeful it will be long enough to tuck behind her ear by then.

trcy
03-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Barrettes don't work very well in my DDs hair either and she's outgrowing bangs. I often use those little rubber bands that I had left over from toddlerhood to pull the bang area back. I think a barrette would look better but these actually stay in.

I forgot about those. If I can't get the barrettes to work, this is plan B.

ang79
03-28-2016, 09:29 PM
My girls decided to grow out their bangs at the same time, it took forever! And DD2's hair just naturally falls in her face even now that the bangs are fully grown out. The best barrests I had were a silicon type of material on the underside that helped grib the hair. Pretty sure they were made by Goody, or a similar company, as I think I bought them at Target. But I was never able to find them again after my original purchase :( I also liked to do do a side part and french braid the bangs part way down, kinda framing her face, then put a little rubberband in and leave a ponytail end hanging down by her ear. This worked great when her hair was wet, like after swim lessons. I also got her into using those elastic headbandsto keep it off her face. She still uses those quite often. Good luck!

maestramommy
03-28-2016, 09:35 PM
DD3 had a super short haircut in the fall which included bangs. Every morning she would wet her hair to get rid of the bedhead. Now as her bangs get longer she wets them extra, and does a part. I'm starting to tie up her hair for dance class again, which includes a lot of clips and hairpins. Her hangs are now in the vicinity of her nose, but with a part it's not too bad. She could stand to keep it out of her face because her eyes sometimes itch, but I guess it doesn't bother her enough to motivate a real solution.

belovedgandp
03-28-2016, 10:20 PM
We started the process when DD was just over 4. She was so slow to grow hair and it was all on the top and going straight forward so she had bangs starting at 2.

Honestly I ended up doing the spout thing. When she was 2 she wouldn't keep the pony holder in but at 4 she'd leave it along. It didn't take long for it to fall down towards the back. We did cut some of the length off to accelerate the process of meeting the two together.