PDA

View Full Version : Need birthday party help (Equestria Girls)

corrie23
03-29-2016, 10:16 PM
My son's 6th birthday party is coming up. Most of the classmates' parties that he has been invited to have been held at event locations outside the home with staff running activities/entertainment for the kids. For many reasons, not the least of which is financial, we have decided to have his party at our home. There will be 10-15 kids present, mostly around age 6-7 with a few older or younger (siblings, cousins, etc.) The party is 90 minutes and in-between mealtimes. We will serve cake and some munchies.

My son wants an Equestria Girls theme (the human alter egos to My Little Pony from what I can figure out). I have no idea how to incorporate the theme into the party in a reasonable way or what sorts of crafts/activities to do to keep the kids busy. I'll probably print out some Equestria Girls coloring sheets the kids can work on if they want, and we thought maybe we'd play pin the "cutie mark" on the Equestria Girl or something. Other than that, I'm stumped.

All three of my kids (and me) have birthdays within a 10 week period and I'm getting birthday/party planning burnout. Can any of you brilliant mamas help me plan this one?

twowhat?
03-29-2016, 10:55 PM
Hmmmm - maybe hang some streamers from the ceiling that the kids have to walk through as they enter, and then have a mirror set up on the other side - draw colored hair and ears on the mirror with dry erase markers - (use your DS as a model) so kids can stand in front of it and "see" what they look like with long hair and ears after walking through the "magic mirror" (streamers). If you don't have a mirror you can safely prop up somewhere, you could maybe create a "trail" (hoof prints taped to the floor that gradually transition to footprints?) that leads to a bathroom with a mirror instead.

Headbands with ears? I bet they'd be easy to make with plastic headbands and felt...you could probably google for ideas. Colored hair extension clip thingys as the party favor?

All the home parties I've been to for that age group have been really laid back - the kids just run around and play and a theme really isn't necessary. If you have a yard and it's nice outside, let them loose with a few outside toys. For indoors, coloring sheets are good - I've seen this work to suck up about 20 minutes of time. Pin the cutie mark on the Equestria Girl is a good idea too if the kids start getting antsy.

Good luck, it will be fun!

KrisM
03-29-2016, 11:03 PM
At that age, we didn't do a lot for parties.
-decorate for the theme - plates, napkins, streamers
-maybe a piƱata
-pin the tail game
-maybe a craft that might be related to the theme
-play time
-eat - lunch takes some time and you can always have make your own pizza or something
-cake or cupcakes. We usually did cupcakes and let the kids decorate with sprinkles, etc. A mess, but fun

Kids had fun and so did their friends.

California
03-30-2016, 12:15 AM
My youngest has been to a few Equestria-themed parties. One I helped plan as the mom/my dear friend had just gotten a new job and was swamped. And you know, thinking back, I can't remember any truly "Equestria" themed activities! One party had a jumpy and the kids just ran around and played. At the party I helped plan, we couldn't find specific "Equestria" themed decorations at our local party store. So instead we used a "My Little Pony" pin the tail style game, a My Little Pony backdrop for a "photo booth" and used rainbow colored table cloths, napkins, streamers, etc.

My friend and I discussed having the kids make streamer tails but we ended up skipping that. For activities, we kept it simple and the kids did a couple of silly relays and played with balloons and bubbles.

dogmom
03-30-2016, 02:27 PM
Well, the movie is based in a High School where there are different cliques and Twilight Sparkle needs to get them to all work together. (Yeah, completely outing myself here.) It's the Sports Kids, the Drama Kids, the Science Kids, the Fashion Kids, Nature/Eco kids, the Musical kids. So you could completely divide up the guests into teams with accessories appropriate and have them do some cooperative game stuff.

ray7694
03-30-2016, 09:36 PM
What about a step by step drawing of a horse lesson. Do u know any art teachers?