PDA

View Full Version : Sun protection for kids that wear glasses?

mikala
03-30-2016, 10:45 AM
What do your elementary school aged kids wear for sunglasses if they wear prescription eyeglasses? My kindergarter got glasses this year and we went with standard lenses instead of photogray/transitions. This has been fine for fall/winter months but I'm trying to decide what to do for summer when we're outside a lot more. Prescription sunglasses? Transitions lenses? Clip on shades? Standard sunglasses? He's a typical rambunctious kid and is used to wearing glasses full time now but I'm nervous about switching back and forth between glasses throughout the day.

ett
03-30-2016, 10:53 AM
DS1 has the transitions lenses.

khalloc
03-30-2016, 10:56 AM
Does he normally wear sunglasses when outside (before he got glasses)? I just ask because do you have to do anything? My kids dont wear glasses and I wouldnt buy them sunglasses unless they specifically asked for them.

jren
03-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Glasses can make your eyes more sensitive to the sun. We started out with regular lens and DS squinted a lot. The next pair of glasses were transitions. They work well. He also has transition sport glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
03-30-2016, 11:10 AM
Transitions. Both have had them the entire time they have had glasses (Dd1 got hers at 3, and DD2 at 2). I am very glad that we went this route because it is so much easier than having to carry a second pair of RX glasses.

babyonway
03-30-2016, 01:40 PM
Does he normally wear sunglasses when outside (before he got glasses)? I just ask because do you have to do anything? My kids dont wear glasses and I wouldnt buy them sunglasses unless they specifically asked for them.

Sunglasses are not just for those sensitive to the sun it is important to future eye health. I consider my DD wearing sunglasses just as important as sunscreen.

To answer PP question my DD has transition lenses.

If your DC is not sensitive to the light and you are asking for protection reasons...do the current lenses have UV protection built in? My glasses are not transition lenses but do have UV protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

gatorsmom
03-30-2016, 05:08 PM
3 of my 4 kids wear glasses. None of them are heavy into an outdoor sport except downhill skiing in the winter (and then they wear goggles over their glasses with their helmet). Otherwise, when they are just outside playing, I put baseball hats or visors on them. We live in Wisconsin so our sun isn't too intense. The only one in the family with prescription sunglasses is me because I do all the driving.

baymom
03-30-2016, 05:14 PM
DD has regular glasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses.

meggie t
03-30-2016, 05:29 PM
My 3 yo DD wears glasses and recently has been complaining about the sun. So we took her in yesterday to get prescription sunglasses. Due to her high prescription, transitions aren't an option, and neither are clip-ons. She won't bring them to school but I will carry them with me.

rlu
03-30-2016, 07:06 PM
DS gets new glasses almost every year so in case your kid does too, I'd not do prescription sunglasses but get transitions going forward and use clip-ons for now.

The one year we got DS glasses without transitions was the year of b**ching and moaning. We did get him "clip-ons" that hooked on the sides (hard to explain) but they were less obvious. That's when he really took to wearing baseball hats everyday (and hasn't stopped since).