PDA

View Full Version : ISO recs for carry on size suitcase

jgenie
03-30-2016, 10:57 AM
Both of our carry on size suitcases are in need of replacement. Both are Samsonite and have held up really well. Thinking we will replace with Samsonite. Anyone know how the Samsonite set at Costco holds up? Anywhere else I should be looking? Another brand I should consider? TIA

jren
03-30-2016, 11:06 AM
I bought a Samsonite and an IT carry on bag at Marshall's. The Samsonite bag won't work for Delta, which is why I went back for the smaller IT bag. The Samsonite is better quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
03-30-2016, 11:33 AM
I've bought my last few Samsonites (for me, DH, my Mom, etc.) at Marshall's or TJMaxx. They have held up well and I am very happy with them.

twowhat?
03-30-2016, 12:03 PM
Splurged on a Tumi last year. It's a hard shell "international" size spinner, which is slightly smaller than the Domestic carry on allowance so I've traveled overseas with it with absolutely no problem. I've never had to check it due to size. I absolutely LOVE it.

Previously used Samsonite and I still reach for my Tumi every time.

SnuggleBuggles
03-30-2016, 12:06 PM
My Costco Samsonite is holding up well.

robinsmommy
03-30-2016, 12:06 PM
I would do a little research and see what carry on size limits are for the airlines you use - international limits are smaller, as are some of the domestic airlines nowadays. I'm assuming you are looking at wheeled luggage? We have the Rick Steves and have been really happy with it - we have the soft-sided backpacks, the wheeled carry-on for domestic, and have used my parents' wheeled carry-on for international (slightly smaller). We like them all. Depending on how long you think you'll keep the luggage, I would expect that there is a very good chance that US airlines will also reduce the carry on size restriction in the near future if they haven't already. May be worth buying smaller if it works for you if you plan on keeping them long. Or even just one bag that is smaller, if you have a lighter packer between you.

ahisma
03-30-2016, 12:24 PM
We have the Costco Samsonite set and are very happy with it. It has held up very well.

hellokitty
03-30-2016, 12:34 PM
I have a 20" hardshell HEYS that I have used basially for many trips (mostly business) and I love it. It is the type that rolls anyway, so instead of pulling it, I can push it alongside me with my purse slung over it AND one coworker I traveled with admitted that she had a bedbug problem that had just been dealt with (AFTER I drove all of us in MY car to the airport, she told us on the way back home when she pulled out garbage bags for everyone to bag up their luggage), FREAKED out. She did a lot of research on it though and said, "Oh, HK, *at least* you have a hardshell suitcase, so there's a slightly less chance of picking up bedbugs." I've since then been paranoid. I think that we will eventually replace all of our luggage with hardshell 360 degree wheels though in the next few years. They are so lightweight and comfortable to use, plus sturdy too. I really love mine and I have a goofy pattern on mine, but that makes me love it more, b/c I have yet to see anyone else with the same pattern, so I am less likely to misplace or have someone mistaken my luggage for theirs.

AnnieW625
03-30-2016, 12:38 PM
DH has a Swiss Gear carry on (http://www.overstock.com/#/Luggage-Bags/Wenger-Swiss-Gear-Zurich-20-inch-Expandable-Carry-On-Spinner-Upright-Suitcase/9135241/product.html) that he just got for Christmas and he says it works fine. I will use it in two weeks for the first time. We fly Southwest and Jet Blue. Our prior carry on bag was the Protocol brand from JC Penney and it finally just bit the dust, we inherited it from my FIL who was a frequent flyer and we used it a good 10 yrs. after he gave it to us and it was probably a good 10 yrs. old then.

NCGrandma
03-30-2016, 02:45 PM
After many years of using nothing but Samsonites, I got a couple of Victorinox Avolve spinner bags (http://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Travel-Gear/Luggage/Avolve-2-0%2C-Avolve-20/p/31315005). I think the carry-on I have is a 22" because I don't remember seeing the 20" 'international carry-on' size, but the 20" would be safer. It's a combination hard shell back, soft front (so I guess I have a 50/50 chance of bedbugs...), which makes it really easy to pack.

In any case, I LOVE these suitcases and have used both the carry-on and the larger checked bag for many trips. They still look like new and the spinner wheels still spin easily (unlike my last Samsonite). I got the grey instead of the ubiquitous black and it's usually pretty easy to spot.

Oh, of course I didn't pay anything close to the price shown!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

Kindra178
03-30-2016, 03:56 PM
We love our llb luggage!

jenmcadams
03-30-2016, 06:40 PM
Love eBags private label - I have the 25" (not carryon) of their Motherlode series (and I know they have a carryon 21" one).

citymama
03-31-2016, 12:56 AM
Love our REI wheeled carry ons - got them at the outlet online!