PDA

View Full Version : Recommend specific beaches on mid or outer Cape?

Sweetsunshine
04-11-2016, 07:23 PM
I finally got DH on board for a summer beach vacation. A bit late but still hoping to find a good rental. Looking for a house within a five min walk to a beach. I've seen several on vrbo, etc... But have no idea about the beaches. Many say "A five min walk to _____ beach" but some pics look like the beach is a tiny inlet or something.

I have kids age 5-11. We don't mind cold water. Just looking for a nice beach that hopefully isn't crazy crowded. Probably impossible but I'll take any recommendations I can!

Green_Tea
04-11-2016, 07:33 PM
What towns? Crosby is my favorite Brewster beach. In Orleans I like Skaket on the bay and Nauset and Coast Guard on the ocean. Nauset gets very crowded, though.

Sweetsunshine
04-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Any towns really but probably can't afford more expensive ones like Orleans and Chatham. Maybe Harwichport, Dennis, Barnstable?

Know anything about Craigville Beach?

Green_Tea
04-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Any towns really but probably can't afford more expensive ones like Orleans and Chatham. Maybe Harwichport, Dennis, Barnstable?

Craigville is a nice beach. It's popular but I have never felt like it's uncomfortably crowded. Warmer water than the National Seashore, better surf than the Bay.

Green_Tea
04-11-2016, 07:58 PM

In Dennis I like Corporation and Mayflower. Both have limited parking but if you are within walking distance you should be fine.

Sweetsunshine
04-11-2016, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

khalloc
04-12-2016, 09:51 AM
You wont find a beach thats not crazy crowded.

We love Skaket Beach in Orleans. Its on the bay side. the water is warmer. We usually rent a house but its not always in walking distance. Well it is, but just not when you take into account all the beach stuff you have to carry. So we end up getting a house under 1 mile from the beach, but then we buy a parking pass and just drive there. Its worth it. Skaket Beach is a great beach for kids.

Sweetsunshine
04-12-2016, 01:50 PM
Hmm never thought of buying a parking pass. That might be best of both worlds. How do you get one? Does it vary by town? Skaket sounds lovely!

khalloc
04-12-2016, 02:04 PM
Each town has their own parking pass. So it would make sense to stay in 1 town. Thats why Orleans is so great IMHO. Because you can go to the bayside beach (Skaket) and also to Nauset Beach. The parking lots can fill up early though. We try to get to Skaket before 10am I think.

It costs alot more money (in Orleans at least) to be in walking distance to the beach, and I mean like a 2 minute walk. You save a bit by being a mile away. I feel like you almost need your car at the beach when you have kids and all the toys and crap they want to bring. Plus a cooler, chairs, umbrella, etc...I believe its $75 in Orleans for a parking pass for the week. You can buy it at Nauset Beach.

acmom
04-12-2016, 04:07 PM
Each town has their own parking pass. So it would make sense to stay in 1 town. Thats why Orleans is so great IMHO. Because you can go to the bayside beach (Skaket) and also to Nauset Beach. The parking lots can fill up early though. We try to get to Skaket before 10am I think.

It costs alot more money (in Orleans at least) to be in walking distance to the beach, and I mean like a 2 minute walk. You save a bit by being a mile away. I feel like you almost need your car at the beach when you have kids and all the toys and crap they want to bring. Plus a cooler, chairs, umbrella, etc...I believe its $75 in Orleans for a parking pass for the week. You can buy it at Nauset Beach.

We took our first trip to the Cape last year and stayed in Orleans as recommended here and by friends that have been several times. We weren't in walking distance of the beach and found an affordable place that way. We enjoyed the location! Our favorite beaches were Skaket and Mayflower. We went to Nauset (as well as a few others I am blanking on) and enjoyed that as well, but spent the most time at Skaket.

dogmom
04-23-2016, 05:58 PM
Go to the Cape Cod Online beach site. It the online site for the Cape Cod paper and they have a listing for every beach that is very helpful. Even the pond beaches.

http://capecodonline.com/beaches/

I always like staying in Wellfleet and going to the town beaches.