PDA

View Full Version : Best Video Game Consoles For Kids? (5 year old DS)

DualvansMommy
04-15-2016, 04:04 PM
DS1's birthday is coming up soon and i have been trying to think of what to get him this year, then today he came to me expressing an interest in asking for a video game? so it gave me an idea...

he'll be 5, so i want a system that is relatively easy for him NOW to play and yet something to grow into his younger elementary years. Especially when DS2 becomes old enough to join in the games/console activity too.

which set did you get for your DC?

SnuggleBuggles
04-15-2016, 04:17 PM
Wii U. We like the Nintendo characters and games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
04-15-2016, 09:13 PM
Wii U. We like the Nintendo characters and games.

:yeahthat:

Simon
04-16-2016, 08:36 AM
I agree with Wii or maybe an Xbox with kinect. OTOH, I wouldn't get a console for less than a strong, dedicated interest. YMMV but although the kids like the Wii and we do play as a family, they really, really love the smaller devices a lot more so I find portable devices (tablet, Nintendo Ds, ipod touch) to be far more useful and requested.

JBaxter
04-16-2016, 09:00 AM
I'd say go for the XBox. The Wii lost interest after a year the Xbox seems to be of more interest longer. We are huge into FIFA right now.

keh602
04-16-2016, 09:21 AM
We have both a Wii U and an Xbox, and my kids love the Wii U best. I don't even know if they ever play with the Xbox. If they do, they play games that are also available for Wii U. Disney Infinity is huge at our house right now, as are any games with Mario or any of the other Nintendo characters. DH never outgrew that stuff, so I doubt they will either. ;)

PZMommy
04-16-2016, 11:13 AM
I'd say go for the XBox. The Wii lost interest after a year the Xbox seems to be of more interest longer. We are huge into FIFA right now.

My DS is a huge gamer and has been playing X box since he could hold a controller (thanks to DH). There are plenty of kid games on X box, and it will last longer than Wii as they tend to grow out of those games. My DS loves to play the Lego games and also loved Disney infinity, but has now moved into Lego dimensions.

At our house we have two Xbox 360s, an X box one, a play station2, 3, and 4. We had a Wii, but it never got played so we gave it away. The X boxes get the most use.

ExcitedMamma
04-16-2016, 11:15 AM
I was a big video gamer as a kid and we had the old wii and I bought DH the Xbox because he loves car games. I love gadgets and usually buy the new techie stuff...but I can't work the Xbox One! It never seems to respond and seems way too complicated! Granted I haven't tried all that hard or looked it up online but it might be something to look into if you are considering wii vs. Xbox One. Especially if you want your DS to use by himself. I totally feel the same way about the Kindle Fire too.

jren
04-16-2016, 11:18 AM
We have a Wii and an Xbox. The Wii was great when DS(7) was younger. Now he prefers the Xbox. He does say that some of the games (Madden NFL) are easier to play on the Wii. We also have the Kinect but it gets no use so far.

PZMommy
04-16-2016, 03:04 PM
I was a big video gamer as a kid and we had the old wii and I bought DH the Xbox because he loves car games. I love gadgets and usually buy the new techie stuff...but I can't work the Xbox One! It never seems to respond and seems way too complicated! Granted I haven't tried all that hard or looked it up online but it might be something to look into if you are considering wii vs. Xbox One. Especially if you want your DS to use by himself. I totally feel the same way about the Kindle Fire too.

Maybe yours is defective??? My DS is 6yrs old and has had no issues with the Xbox one.

JBaxter
04-16-2016, 03:11 PM
Maybe yours is defective??? My DS is 6yrs old and has had no issues with the Xbox one.

Same here

DualvansMommy
04-16-2016, 03:20 PM
My DS is a huge gamer and has been playing X box since he could hold a controller (thanks to DH). There are plenty of kid games on X box, and it will last longer than Wii as they tend to grow out of those games. My DS loves to play the Lego games and also loved Disney infinity, but has now moved into Lego dimensions.

At our house we have two Xbox 360s, an X box one, a play station2, 3, and 4. We had a Wii, but it never got played so we gave it away. The X boxes get the most use.

That is what I'm genuinely interested to hear from who have had it. I know next to nothing about gaming, like DH is too. He was way into sports as a kid to be a gamer.

So if we were to get a gaming system for DS1, it'll have to be a system he can easily play and navigate himself. I felt initially that Xbox one was maybe little bit advanced, but kept seeing reviews online how wii was something the kids grew out quickly!

I have two boys, DS1 is really starting to get into complex Legos and puzzles now. dS2 is quite dexterous for his little age, so I can totally see him handling cars and racetracks with the game. So am thinking Xbox may make more sense? But DH feels it's way too soon and a big such advanced system too!

I, OTOH, learnt from my earlier mistakes. I bought DS1 a leapster, thinking it would work for him when he was 2 but he became totally bored with it within 2-3 months. I felt like back then I should have gotten him something like kindle fire or iPad instead of wasting money on a much simpler device like Leapster. That is how I feel with wii vs. Xbox/Xbox one. I've to investigate just how much of price difference it is between the two, and how much a second console would cost and so on.

Kindra178
04-16-2016, 03:39 PM
Wii u.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JBaxter
04-16-2016, 05:29 PM
My vote is still either Xbox 360 but probably the Xbox One but also look at the PS4. I know online gaming probably isn't on your radar yet but if your DH is involved look at that system also My DS2 has that one with him at college. We have the 360 and Jack has been playing it since he was maybe 5 We are sports gamers too I always get FIFA the day it comes out Our 360 is a few yrs old and we have been thinking of replacing it. We are waffling back and forth between the Xbox One & PS4