PDA

View Full Version : Updating bedroom

lalasmama
04-25-2016, 12:26 AM
DD just turned 12. She's been wanting a "teen" room. We bought new bedding, but it still isn't "enough" in our opinion or hers... Her room is 12x12, give or take. She currently has a double bed on one wall, 3 cubeicals stacked in a pyramid on the opposite wall. Other two walls are window and closet/door. Her window wall is a bright teal (her favorite color), other walls are a light buttery yellow.

Initial plans to "age" her room are a funky lamp (thinking one of those "medusa" type lamps with multiple colored shades) and bean bags (DD's idea). DD also said she's ready to give up the baby dolls in her room (considering they are often played with, though, I imagine they will live in the closet instead of actually not in her room any more).

Since the spare room got a new bed, and we got a new bed for our room, it seems DD would be next in line for a new bed, which could help with the "teen" vibe she's wanting. However, we're at a bit of a quandary with the idea of a new bed. DD wants a loft bed. We're not opposed to something like the Svarta http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29154209/ at Ikea, but DH would like a "nice" bedframe for a twin (think something like you would have for a young child) so that it will transition to a spare room in 10 years.

So, long story short... How long will a loft bed be "age appropriate"? Will we be thinking she needs something different in a few years? Or is there somewhere else we should be focusing our energy to make this a teen bedroom?

essnce629
04-25-2016, 04:16 AM
I think a loft bed would last her till college and beyond. I bought myself a full size IKEA loft bed for my first studio apartment my junior year of college and used it till I was 7 months pregnant with DS1 (a year later)! I loved that bed and was sad to sell it! It was super tall (I could stand up under it and I'm 5'7) and worked great because my apartment had 10' ceilings (I could sit up in bed and still have room above my head). It wouldn't have worked with 8' ceilings. I had an attached desk underneath that spanned the entire length of the bed and had built in shelving and drawers.

essnce629
04-25-2016, 04:25 AM
I redid DS1's room a few months ago. He's also 12. Things that helped teenify it was some cool framed artwork (Dr. Who stuff that he loves), floating shelves on the wall to display his stuff, a nice rug, a padded tufted leather headboard, and PB teen bedding. I also have a 5x5 IKEA EXPEDIT unit spanning one of his walls to keep all his books, trophies, etc.

erosenst
04-25-2016, 09:20 PM
We just redid DD12 room. Turquoise walls. New funky lamp. Rearranged stuff in cubicals and at her request got a few inexpensive but cute fake plants for 3 spots in them. Took everything off the walls that had been there before. So far set of 3 canvas prints only thing back up. Replaced kid chair with bungee chair and good glider out (sniff). Most of the stuffed animals left as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pl804
07-12-2016, 01:36 AM
I think a loft bed would last her till college and beyond. I bought myself a full size IKEA loft bed for my first studio apartment my junior year of college and used it till I was 7 months pregnant with DS1 (a year later)! I loved that bed and was sad to sell it! It was super tall (I could stand up under it and I'm 5'7) and worked great because my apartment had 10' ceilings (I could sit up in bed and still have room above my head). It wouldn't have worked with 8' ceilings. I had an attached desk underneath that spanned the entire length of the bed and had built in shelving and drawers.

I always wondered if it was too dark under the bed. It seems like there are good LED options, but I worry about blue light. If you have this configuration, how do you handle that?

Melaine
07-12-2016, 08:31 AM
Ohhh good topic! How did her room turn out, OP? We are just doing this right now for my girls.

lalasmama
07-12-2016, 11:33 PM
OP here. I had forgotten all about this thread! Here's what we ended up with...

Bedding similar to this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Home-Essence-Apartment-Leona-Bedding-Coverlet-Set/44802479

This daybed as a compromise between DD's desire for a loft bed and DH's preference for something that grandkids can use when DD moves out of the house eventually:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Victoria-Metal-Daybed-Multipe-Colors/27315751

The $20 version of this lamp:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/LumiSource-LumiSource-Medusa-Floor-Lamp/26862164

Black bean bag chairs. Only "young" things in her room are her AG dolls, which get regular attention still.

She loves her "new" room. I realise we'll still needed to update it in a few years, but it's perfect for now!