PDA

View Full Version : is it totally insane and just not advisable to go during President's week next year?

lmh2402
04-27-2016, 10:30 AM
DH really wants to take the kids to Disney next year. We are already pulling them out of school for a week in Jan for a big family trip for my Dad's birthday, so I would really like to make use of the school break if we were to do Disney.

But clearly, it's going to be a madhouse.

Is there any way to plan a trip during that time that would not be unpleasant or just insane? Like if we use a disney planner, can we pre-plan to basically avoid missing out due to crowds?

sorry if these are naive questions - I'm just now staring to look into this and I really have no idea what's involved in the planning and what can be provided by utilizing a disney planner person

thanks

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2016, 10:42 AM
Well, a few years ago we did Disneyland (in CA) on the Thursday of Pres. Day weekend. Park wasn't very crowded and closed at 8pm. Next day, Friday, the shuttle bus to the parks was packed and I was amazed at the overnight difference in crowds!

However, if you know it'll be crowded and you go with the right attitude, I'm sure it'll be fun. I always say to have everyone pick their top 2 rides or attractions and hit them first thing then everything else you get to do is just gravy on the fun.

Stay onsite as you can book your fastpasses 30 days sooner than folks that stay off site.

Philly Mom
04-27-2016, 11:18 AM
My mom took my niece then. Only NJ/NY have break the whole week. After Presidents Day you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

ett
04-27-2016, 11:33 AM
We went the week of President's Day a few years ago. (MA has school break that week, and probably a few other NE states too.) It was very crowded the day we went to Magic Kingdom but other than that it was fine.

klwa
04-27-2016, 01:32 PM
We went a couple years back during Spring Break time. Not the worst part of SB, but still SB. We made a plan, using a crowd calendar, and had a great time. Based on easywdw's assumptions for this past year, it'll be crowded, but if you plan your days (which park & a general idea of where to go within the parks), you should be able to have a good time. I know some people on here prefer other sites to easywdw, it's just my go-to. http://www.easywdw.com/easy/calendars/february-2016-walt-disney-world-crowd-calendar/

megs4413
04-27-2016, 04:39 PM
As long as you plan properly and understand that you won't be able to "do it all", you will be fine. Work with a dis travel agent for sure!

alootikki
04-28-2016, 10:33 AM
We've gone twice over Presidents' week. The single biggest tip I have is to get to the parks EARLY! Get there about 15 minutes before the gates open. Even on "10" crowd level days, we were able to knock out 4-5 rides in that first hour, and then leisurely do a couple more. Head out at lunchtime for naps/pool, and then return to the parks in the evening. Very manageable on that schedule!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mamma2004
05-03-2016, 12:15 PM
In 2015, we spent much of the week at WDW. The weather was horribly "cold" and rainy, so the crowds were not bad at all.

In 2016, we went Thursday-Saturday of that week. There were people, sure, but it was fine!