PDA

View Full Version : Is it crazy to take a one year old to WDW?

mikala
04-27-2016, 08:22 PM
We were going to wait until dc3 was at least 2 but have the opportunity to go sooner with friends. Is it totally crazy to take a crawler/new walker to Disney? I'm having a hard time thinking of the parks from that perspective. I realize a parent will be on toddler duty most of the time and we'd be making good use of the child swap passes.

We would stay on site. The older two DC will be 4 and 7 and we do anticipate going again in a few years when the baby is old enough to enjoy rides.

Share your horror or success stories!

keh602
04-28-2016, 12:18 AM
We went when DS1 was almost 13 months, and we went again right after DS2 turned 1. Both total success stories. :) Child swap is wonderful, but I was also amazed by how much you can do with babies. There are a lot of rides you can take them on. Our kids were great stroller nappers, so that worked in our favor for sure. Even when they're that little you can see the wonder in their eyes. I think it's worth it.

123LuckyMom
04-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Go!!! We took our kids for the first time when DS was 4.5 and DD was 11 months. She LOVED it!!! Her eyes were wide open, and she was able to go on many rides. We just went again in late Feb/early March. DD was just shy of her 4th birthday, and she remembered things!!! I was shocked! One of the things she remembered was the Mickey ice cream bars. As soon as we said we were going to Disney she asked if we could have them. Disney really is magical at any age!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

klwa
04-28-2016, 01:53 PM
We took DS & DD1 when they were each 2 and then took DD2 when she was 1 (so DD1 was 5, DS was 8). All three trips were great. So many rides you're able to do with the little one! And we were able to use child swap a ton, which meant the big kids could ride to their hearts' content.

Now, that's not to say that everything went perfectly smoothly & we didn't have any tantrums, but it was still fun.

acmom
04-28-2016, 02:43 PM
I say go too!! Both our kids 1st trips were around 16 months and we plan to go next winter, so baby #3 will be about 7 months old. We have had great trips each time we have gone- every time seems different depending on the age of the kids and their interests that trip, which makes it fun!

DualvansMommy
04-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Go! We went for DS1 birthday, who was turning 3 with grandparents. Ds2 was almost 4 months old, still had a ball! At that age for your DD, there's still a lot of rides I saw parents taking their 1 year old and plus on, and there's few great splash areas for them to cool off and run around in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jam224
04-29-2016, 12:30 AM
Child swap is wonderful, but I was also amazed by how much you can do with babies. There are a lot of rides you can take them on. Our kids were great stroller nappers, so that worked in our favor for sure. Even when they're that little you can see the wonder in their eyes. I think it's worth it.

Totally agree with this! We went to WDW when DD was 9 months old because DH had a conference to attend there. Disney is very accommodating to little ones (unlike Universal Studios)! We had a blast!

belovedgandp
04-29-2016, 02:23 PM
I'm usually all about going places, but I do not like to travel with kids in the 12-20 month range. They are old enough to get really over stimulated but not nap. None of my kids were stroller nappers so they were easily pushed off schedule - and I'm not even a schedule person, just so out of whack from their norm it didn't go well.

We took a trip to visit my brother when DC2 was 16 months. I'm pretty sure it's a good thing my SIL was already pregnant. We scared my brother.

And I did take a 3 month old to WDW for a week. That was a breeze.