PDA

View Full Version : OMG...He WON'T WAKE UP!!!!!

SASM
04-28-2016, 10:39 AM
13yo DS is NOT waking up in the AM's. He has the most obnoxious alarm clock...and he sleeps through it for 45-60 minutes!!! I am not sure if this is a "my kid's ADHD and/or meds are keeping him awake at night and he finally crashes in the middle of the night" thing or if he is just a teen who loves sleep. Either way, he is ruining our AM routine in a BIG way. What gets your kids up in the morning ON THEIR OWN?? We have cowbells and I have a pretty loud yell BUT I REALLY want him to wake on his own. Please help!!

StantonHyde
04-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Still waking up both kids--13 yo DS and 11 yo DD. They turn alarms off, mess them up, etc etc. some day....

123LuckyMom
04-28-2016, 12:35 PM
When I was a teenager, nothing could wake me. No alarm or combinations of alarms could do the job. My dad used to come in several times each morning and wake me, but I'd just go back to sleep. The only way I would wake up is if I was physically removed from my bed and walked into the bathroom! In college I was able to wake to an alarm, but I only had one class that met before 10am whereas high school started very early. I do absolutely remember really not being able to wake. I wasn't trying to be annoying. I really could not wake up! And I don't have ADHD, though I was an insomniac into my early 30s.

ETA: In boarding school as an older teen I was able to wake, but again, the hours were more sane, and I had a room full of girls making noise around me. I also had enforced early nights, so even though I was up late, I was up less late than I had been at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

gymnbomb
04-28-2016, 01:32 PM
When I wouldn't get up to an alarm clock my parents got me one of these (this style, not this exact one): http://www.amazon.com/A2S-Vintage-Style-Alarm-Clock/dp/B01APSFIAS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1461864646&sr=8-3&keywords=analog+bell+alarm+clock

I don't remember how well it worked, but it was crazy loud and annoying.

oneplustwo
04-30-2016, 07:10 AM
What time are you trying to get him up in the morning? There is a huge body of medical research showing that teens are wired to go to bed late and wake up late ~ their circadian rhythms shift to a later sleep pattern. If this is what's going on with your DS, you're trying to wake him up from a deep sleep. There's some really great information about this from the Start School Later organization, BTW: http://www.startschoollater.net/why-change.html They're trying to help school districts shift start times later for high school and middle school.

SASM
04-30-2016, 07:17 AM
When I wouldn't get up to an alarm clock my parents got me one of these (this style, not this exact one): http://www.amazon.com/A2S-Vintage-Style-Alarm-Clock/dp/B01APSFIAS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1461864646&sr=8-3&keywords=analog+bell+alarm+clock

I don't remember how well it worked, but it was crazy loud and annoying.
Thank you!! I need to look into this style again. My daughter currently has one and it vibrates off the table and turns off. We used to have a very loud alarm of this style...thank you for reminding me!!!!

SASM
04-30-2016, 07:21 AM
What time are you trying to get him up in the morning? There is a huge body of medical research showing that teens are wired to go to bed late and wake up late ~ their circadian rhythms shift to a later sleep pattern. If this is what's going on with your DS, you're trying to wake him up from a deep sleep. There's some really great information about this from the Start School Later organization, BTW: http://www.startschoollater.net/why-change.html They're trying to help school districts shift start times later for high school and middle school.
That is interesting...certainly makes sense. He goes to bed about 9p (any earlier is tough, plus he is not sleepy). He sets his alarm for 6:15 (I don't know why) but will still be sleeping at 7:15, when he needs to leave for the bus. We have tried setting his Alarm for 6:45 but that didn't help. 6:45 would be fantastic because it would hopefully give him a little time to wake up and get hungry...but nope.

citymama
04-30-2016, 11:57 AM
As oneplustwo says, there's solid research that teenagers absolutely need more sleep - like babies - their bodies are going through such profound and rapid changes. It's not just him!

squimp
04-30-2016, 02:54 PM
I have to get my 12-yo up, she is a night owl and does her best but she will not get up on her own. Luckily school doesn't start until 845, so she sleeps until 730 and gets on the bus at 815.

I woke up on my own when I was a teen, but I had some serious big hair to prepare every day and it literally took me an hour. Obviously I had my priorities straight.

He doesn't have his phone in his room at night does he? Seems like 9 is a great time to go to bed, but maybe he's not sleeping then.

essnce629
04-30-2016, 08:49 PM
The only thing that guarantees that DS1 (13 in Aug) will wake up on his own is going to bed early. If he's in bed by 8:30 or 8:45pm he'll wake up on his own with his alarm, but if he's in bed past 9pm he won't. I'm super strict about my kids sleep schedules as getting enough sleep is soooo important in kids. It effects everything they do, their demeanor, etc.

HannaAddict
04-30-2016, 09:03 PM
Teens need to sleep much more and comes on all of a sudden. Our city just changed the public middle schools to start later because of the research on this. 6:15 is crazy early for our household of any age and can't imagine leaving the house by 7:15 either. The medical research is real and though we do an independent school it doesn't start crazy early and the public schools shifted an entire district of a major city. It's not his fault. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BunnyBee
04-30-2016, 11:29 PM
My ADHD DH is awful with alarm clocks. He's much, much better than he was at 20. He slept through fire alarms in his dorm. It seems my DS has inherited this, and he's not a teen yet. I have to go stand in his room and make him get up and stand up and start moving. Anyway, it's not just the ADHD meds. It's one of the issues with ADHD.

gatorsmom
05-01-2016, 12:14 AM
My oldest one who is 12 isn't like this but my 10yo Ds2 is. He is impossible to wake up. In the mornings I usually go around opening doors, tickling kids, telling them to wake up and slowly put on their clothes which I have laid next to them on the bed (they wear a uniform so it's always the same). This works with almost everyone except DS2 who is super grumpy and sleepy in the morning. I have to pull his feet out from under the com era, swing them around to the edge of the bed, pull on his arms to get him to set Joan's then tell him we are going to the bathroom while I walk with my hand under his arm. Then After he pees he heads back to his room where I remind him to put on his clothes several time and then he can climb into bed. That is the only guaranteed way to get him moving in the morning. So frustrating.

HannaAddict
05-01-2016, 02:49 AM
My ADHD DH is awful with alarm clocks. He's much, much better than he was at 20. He slept through fire alarms in his dorm. It seems my DS has inherited this, and he's not a teen yet. I have to go stand in his room and make him get up and stand up and start moving. Anyway, it's not just the ADHD meds. It's one of the issues with ADHD.

And with teens without ADHD!

California
05-02-2016, 03:27 PM
DS is going through this too. He will lay in bed and not be able to fall asleep. It can be very frustrating for him. I do think it's a normal developmental stage. He doesn't use electronics on school nights, he'll read for a while before bedtime, we quiet the house down, sometimes I'll make him a warm drink or play George Winston's soft piano music... and he still can't go to sleep. One thing that helps is if I sit in the room and slow my breathing down. That usually helps him drift off. But do check that your DS isn't sneaking a phone or reading under the covers. Many of the kids I work with do that. They'll share stories about chatting with each other until the early a.m. Their parents have no idea. They hide the phone under the covers and pretend to be asleep until their parents go to bed. (Hence, my DS has to keep his phone in the living room.)

Meatball Mommie
05-03-2016, 03:05 PM
The only thing that guarantees that DS1 (13 in Aug) will wake up on his own is going to bed early. If he's in bed by 8:30 or 8:45pm he'll wake up on his own with his alarm, but if he's in bed past 9pm he won't. I'm super strict about my kids sleep schedules as getting enough sleep is soooo important in kids. It effects everything they do, their demeanor, etc.

I soo agree with this! Our DS1 is the same age as yours (13 in Aug as well). He's in bed at the same time too. Both our kids have always had pretty strict bedtimes during the year - partly because they wake so early for school and partly because they play hockey and really need their rest. Bedtimes are anywhere between 8 and 8:45 pm for both our 11 and soon-to-be 13 year old. We wake them up at 6 am and leave the house at 7 am. School starts early for them, so no choice in the matter. But we are strict even on the weekends. Rarely past 9.

NCGrandma
05-03-2016, 04:24 PM
No help with teen/tween slugabeds, but every time I see the subject line pop up, I expect the responses to be "call 911 now!!"

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

calebsmama03
05-05-2016, 04:48 PM
I still have to wake up my 13y son and 10.5y daughter. Usually I need to shake them or put my abnormally cold hands on their backs. DD has always been a heavy sleeper (never slept through the night as a baby but once she finally did she's a heavy sleeper). DS was always up at 6AM with no alarm but once he hit middle school he had a harder time.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
08-19-2016, 03:24 AM
DD1 has adhd and has sleeping issues. From the way your post read to me it sounds like a talk with the doc managing his adhd might be in order. We had to readjust dd's meds and now she takes melatonine and intuniv in the evening. It's helps a lot, sleep is still an issue for us without the intuniv so i feel your pain. The pp's are right, he needs a lot more sleep than he's getting. Adhd is frustrating at times. Good luck.

essnce629
08-19-2016, 07:53 PM
DS1 just turned 13 today and slept in till 1:30pm lol! School starts on Tues so back to early bedtimes he goes! He's been watching the Olympics every night with me till 12:30am or later!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

pastrygirl
08-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Just curious -- why not let him sleep, if you're still on summer break? As a teen, I always slept until at least 11:30am in the summer.