PDA

View Full Version : Quick question: how easy is it to get into Manhattan on NJ transit from EWR?

citymama
05-09-2016, 03:09 PM
I've been traveling to NYC for work a couple of times a year for years, always on United where I generally bank my miles. United has just stopped flying to JFK non-stop from SFO, and only flies into EWR (Newark). How easy or hard is it to get into midtown Manhattan from EWR? I used to take a cab from JFK, sometimes the NYC Airporter bus. I think a cab to and from EWR is much pricier and traffic is worse, so I'm wondering how easy the NJ Transit from/to Penn Station + Air Train option is. I don't want to find out the hard way about delays and problems in the system. How long is the trip? Thanks for any info! If it's going to be a pain I might just fly Delta to JFK.

Philly Mom
05-09-2016, 03:42 PM
So much easier than JFK. Traffic is easier too outside of rush hour. There are so many trains between NJ Transit and Amtrak. I would guess the trip is 20 mins. A cab after 10 am before 3 wouldn't be much more than 25/30 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

mmsmom
05-09-2016, 03:53 PM
The train from EWR to Penn Station is really very easy. The only thing you have to look out for is to make sure you are getting on the right train. You can not use a NJ Transit ticket on Amtrak and vice versa. The conductors usually announce this at the stop. A cab from EWR will be about the same as JFK depending on time of day and which side of NYC you are going to.

vludmilla
05-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Depends on where you are going in Manhattan, and at what time, but if you take a taxi, I would plan for more like 45-1 hour (in mild to no traffic). I would guess that any public transit option would take a similar amount of time, possibly more with waiting around and making connections.

lizzywednesday
05-18-2016, 08:16 PM
The train from EWR rail station to NY-Penn is around a 20-25 minute ride, depending on whether or not your train stops at Secaucus.

Time of day can impact your pulling into Penn because Amtrak is given priority in the trans-Hudson tunnel.

You can also arrange for a car service; traffic is kind of iffy - it could be fine or it could be a total cluster. I'd rather take the train - less goes wrong with it.

ETA: If you land during rush hour, you might not get a seat on board, but it's really not a long trip. I'd do it on my own, but not with DD.

citymama
05-18-2016, 11:47 PM
So I ended up flying into JFK instead. But next time I'll plan on going the EWR route and taking NJ transit!