PDA

View Full Version : Summer day trip to Atlanta

kristenk
05-21-2016, 11:08 PM
It looks like DH, DD (12yo) and I will be in Atlanta for a day this summer. We'll be there on a weekday.

I'd love recommendations on things to do and places to eat!

We're currently looking at the World of Coca-Cola, the Georgia Aquarium and possibly the CNN Studio Tour. Can we do all of those in the same day? Should we do all of them? We've never been to Atlanta so any advice is appreciated!

KrisM
05-21-2016, 11:31 PM
We had 3.5 hours of free time in Atlanta recently. We did the CNN tour and Coke. We had to run in between to get into Coca Cola before 5pm, but we made it. It was just me and DS1, who was days short of 12 years old. He really liked the CNN tour a lot. We didn't know, but if you tweet Carl Azuz and he's around, he will come and meet kids. He does the Student News. The World of Coke was also interesting, but we ran out of time. We were there an hour or so, but needed another 30 minutes. DS1 would pick CNN as his top choice. Others in our group did the aquarium and really thought it was great.

All three of those places are within blocks of each other. I'd think if you have all day, you could easily do all 3, if you want to. Perhaps you can't do 100% of everything, but you can certainly get a good feel for all.

kristenk
05-24-2016, 09:50 AM
Thanks, Kris! Did you eat anywhere in the vicinity while you were there?

KrisM
05-24-2016, 11:30 AM
We only went for one dinner and the kids picked The Hard Rock. The rest of our meals were included with the tournament we were at.

kristenk
05-24-2016, 11:43 AM
​Hmmmm....we might want to look for other options! lol

KrisM
05-24-2016, 11:48 AM
Probably! We had 4 adults and 4 kids from 4 families and it was easy and within walking distance. Kids enjoyed it fine.

kristenk
05-24-2016, 03:40 PM
Honestly, it's nice to know that it's there and an option if we somehow need it. I'm just hoping that we can find something close by that we can't get w/i easy driving distance of our house!

Now that I'm thinking about it, we might have been to a Hard Rock cafe with DD one time when she was much younger. You never know, that could be the place that she's super excited to visit!!

babystuffbuff
05-27-2016, 01:55 PM
The Georgia Aquarium is great! I went to a conference in Atlanta a few years ago and they had an evening 'social' event (drinks and snacks) there. Everyone else was like, "Yay, wine!" and I was like, "Yay, otters!" :)

BDKmom
05-27-2016, 03:55 PM
I really love the aquarium, but if there is a nice one near where you live, it may not be that big of a deal. To me, World of Coke is fairly boring. There is a bunch of old advertising and the history of Coke. The best part is the end where they let you sample Coke products from around the world. It is something that you will only get in Atlanta, though. I haven't been on the CNN tour for about 15 years, but I remember it being interesting.

cilantromapuche
06-17-2016, 11:45 AM
So glad to read this thread. We will be in Atlanta for a few weeks and I had kind of written off the CNN center because it seemed meh but we will have to visit. I did buy a membership to the Aquarium because we got a discount on camp there for DD and I figured we would go a couple times.

Good to "see" you, babystuffbuff!