PDA

View Full Version : How to help guide DD in choosing her swimsuit & clothes

cmo
05-22-2016, 11:31 AM
My words are failing me as of late, so maybe y'all can help! DD, age 13, has been picking out most of her own clothes for a couple years now. We mostly order online, and have gotten a bunch of hand-me-downs from a family friend that she has been happy with. But, this year, she wants to branch out and we are butting heads on what is and is not appropriate. The latest battle is swimsuits. She wants bikinis, which are not an automatic no in my book, but some of what is popular this year is strappy, peek-a-boo, lots of strings, and (IMO) looks a lot like skimpy lingerie. She, of course, doesn't see anything wrong with it, while I struggle to gently explain to her that some of her choices just aren't appropriate at her age. She is not prepared for the attention that wearing it would attract. I'm having a hard time coming up with how to balance the want for what is trendy and popular with a need for a level of modesty. (To be clear, I am not trying to restrict her to full cut/athletic/mom styles.)

How do I word this? Maybe I should back off? Any advice is much appreciated!

erosenst
05-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Fully in the "for what it's worth" category...bikinis weren't allowed here til DD was 11. While I don't always care what everyone else is doing/wearing I do use it as a guide. Between that the fact that the tankinis looked either too young or too matronly, I gave in. Rules were a top strap, bandeau style (no triangles), had to hook not tie in back, and fabric all around the bottom (no ties or strings).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green_Tea
05-22-2016, 12:21 PM
Swimwear is tough because it truly is difficult to find suits that don't look babyish/matronly that aren't bikinis for younger teens. My DD is also 13 and we have many of the same challenges. She complains that everyone else gets to wear bikinis and she's right - you're hard pressed to find a girl her age NOT wearing a bikini at the pool/beach. We have had luck focusing on sportier brands and surfer brands like Roxy. They make bikinis that are made to actually swim in.

erosenst
05-22-2016, 12:25 PM
Ugggh posted before I was done - continuing here.

This year the styles have changed even more - hard to find anything that fits the rules so we've bent a little. There's still a "mom's best judgment" clause. We are pretty open about "that's too old for you" offset by "if everyone else is wearing it maybe I'm making too big of a deal ". Tie back instead of hook - allowed. String sides in model called "cheeky" that too much tush showed? Not allowed.

I get the "not able to handle attention". While DD is 12, she's a full B cup and can pass for 15. Its a fine line but I'm trying to bend toward "if she's appropriately covered, it's on others to behave correctly."

We were on a cruise for spring break and then a waterpark at Disney. Other than when she rode a gondola with two late teen boys (?) there was no attention - and even the boys were just talking to her/maybe lightly flirting, not being at all inappropriate, from what was reported. (I was on gondola behind her.)

SnuggleBuggles
05-22-2016, 12:28 PM
There are tons of bikinis at Macy's (and Athleta, Title Nine...) that have more of a crop top so just the midriff is exposed. I saw more of those this year than the full tankini I was looking for. Could be a compromise.

mmsmom
05-22-2016, 02:36 PM
So tough because you do want her to be comfortable with her body and not feel like she has to hide it but I understand appropriateness is important too and varies among families. I would focus on needing to have a suit that covers her well so she will not have to constantly be adjusting it or worry about it coming down when she jumps in the water.

lalasmama
05-24-2016, 06:29 PM
My DD is 12, and, while still pretty small, her body is definitely changing. She's got long, long legs (needs a size 1 in juniors for the length), a small booty, and a tiny waist (could still fit a size 8 in kids if it was just based on waist size). She's a 32A up top, so still fairly small there, but that's went from flat to an A-cup in a mere few months. She's at that awkward stage where she's oblivious about her body/looks, but I know boys are going to be noticing her before long at all.

Sometime in the last few months, we've started having conversations about lust, and how we need to try to be appropriately dressed as to help others avoid lustful thoughts. We described lust as "a feeling people get that they really want to see you naked and think about sex, but not sex because they love you or want to have a baby with you," which seemed to make some sense to her. We also point out when boys are dressed immodestly, and why they might be doing that, and how difficult dressing immodestly makes life. It's hard to go down a water slide or doing the rope swing at the pool, or water ski, or do the "blob" (a flying air mattress thing at church camp) if you are worried about your top flying off.... I've pointed out that when I was her age, I wore a bikini and flashed people (completely, embarrassingly, on accident), because I wasn't covered well. She's horrified at the idea that someone might see her boobs (on accident or on purpose, LOL), so it's that's a great motivator for her to choose a little additional coverage!

mom2binsd
05-24-2016, 07:03 PM
We live in a nice middle class town and at the pool just about every girl is wearing a bikini, my DD who is just about 13 is wearing a junior size 3/5, she has a figure and I make sure the bikini covers but it's hard to find something that's not "skimpy", she will not wear a tankini, and I haven't seen any tankini's on anybody else. She is on swim team and wears a real swimsuit for practice and meets but all of her friends also have bikini's.

I pity the boy who makes a remark to her if one were to....she'd probably drill him lol!

Whether its a bikini or a sporty style, if a boy wants to "lust" after a girl in a swimsuit they will.

I make sure hers don't ride up and stay securely in place.

KpbS
05-25-2016, 01:19 AM
I'm not a fan of bikinis for young girls at all. They interfere with actual swimming and expose extra skin for sunburn/skin damage. I would try for a cute tankini that is not "too old" for her--there are tons out there. This is cute and fun

http://m.athleta.gap.com/product.html?dn=ap228134002&cid=1052485&pid=228134002

Another http://m.target.com/p/women-s-halter-tankini-top-mossimo/-/A-21562803

http://m.target.com/p/women-s-halter-tankini-top-mossimo/-/A-21563570

Neatfreak
05-25-2016, 03:37 AM
We're a rashguard-wearing family, and my almost 12YO DD easily chose one again for this summer. I'm not sure if next summer will be a different story, but my child really hates sunscreen, so the less she has to re-apply, the happier she is. I'm gonna keep pushing that angle while I can because skin cancer is scary stuff.

jren
05-25-2016, 07:34 AM
This has been a struggle for us as well. DD(12) could pass for a high school senior. She's very curvy, wears the same size as I do. But she's also very unaware of her body, in a way that she wouldn't realize that she's accidentally flashing someone. We found cute boy short bottoms that make it so much easier for her to shave. They were a juniors brand at Belk, so not matronly. We bought a tankini top, but also got her a bikini top to wear with them. It's the kind with the flouncy triangle piece of cloth covering the top, so not a true bikini top.

TwinFoxes
05-25-2016, 08:25 AM
Suits like this: http://www.zappos.com/billabong-kids-gee-gee-geo-flutter-set-little-kids-big-kids-black-sands

are popular here. The flutter up top gives a little more coverage than a regular bikini. Around here I do see girls in fashionable one pieces, but the majority are in bikinis. I don't think I've ever seen pre-teens/teens in a tankini. That's strictly for little kids and moms.

jren
05-25-2016, 09:27 AM
Suits like this: http://www.zappos.com/billabong-kids-gee-gee-geo-flutter-set-little-kids-big-kids-black-sands

are popular here. The flutter up top gives a little more coverage than a regular bikini. Around here I do see girls in fashionable one pieces, but the majority are in bikinis. I don't think I've ever seen pre-teens/teens in a tankini. That's strictly for little kids and moms.

Yes, that's the style top I was trying to describe. I've seen them everywhere. We do still see teens and tweens in tankinis and one pieces in our circle, but only because the kids go to a Christian school and any school function or camp requires it. My DD also has stretch marks across her back from growing so fast. They have faded some, and will continue, but they'll turn purple and won't fade if she gets tan.

KpbS
05-26-2016, 01:57 AM
Our camp also requires girls (all ages) to wear modest one pieces. At that age I definitely needed the suits with some built-in bra support. Those are more flattering once you get past a b cup, but of course cost more too.

http://m.swimoutlet.com/p/speedo-color-block-bandeau-one-piece-swimsuit-7535829/?q=1

W/o built in support, but cute!
http://m.swimoutlet.com/p/waterpro-womens-fierce-one-piece-swimsuit-39240/?q=1
http://m.swimoutlet.com/p/dolfin-uglies-quinta-print-womens-v-2-back-one-piece-swimsuit-8119792/?q=1

And still not a fan of bikinis, but this one is more substantial (at least the top). I'd probably find a cute rash guard for my dd to wear with it/over it part of the time b/c that's a lot of exposed skin for sunscreen on the back.

http://m.swimoutlet.com/p/the-finals-funnies-mermaid-workout-two-piece-bikini-swimsuit-set-8144525/?color=15580

Corie
05-26-2016, 09:44 PM
My daughter is 14 yrs. old and she still wears a tankini. We found some really cute ones at JC Penney. All of her friends wear teeny-tiny bikinis.
DD had a big pool party at the end of last summer and the bikinis on the girls really shocked my husband.

AnnieW625
05-27-2016, 08:07 AM
I gave into bikinis when DD1 was 8. DD1 is now 10 and she chose a swim skirt with a cropped top (from Hanna Anersson, which really surprised me!) She does have to wear a regular tank suit for a summer camp at a Christian school she goes to, and for swim team, but she still likes a bikini and I don't have a problem with it as long as it is age appropriate.

Swimwear is tough because it truly is difficult to find suits that don't look babyish/matronly that aren't bikinis for younger teens. My DD is also 13 and we have many of the same challenges. She complains that everyone else gets to wear bikinis and she's right - you're hard pressed to find a girl her age NOT wearing a bikini at the pool/beach. We have had luck focusing on sportier brands and surfer brands like Roxy. They make bikinis that are made to actually swim in.
I agree with this and even though I was not comfortable in a bikini at 13 (I was 18 when I bought my first one) if I had wanted one my parents wouldn't have told me no. I would stick with a young brands like Roxy or one you that you find at a surf store.

There are tons of bikinis at Macy's (and Athleta, Title Nine...) that have more of a crop top so just the midriff is exposed. I saw more of those this year than the full tankini I was looking for. Could be a compromise.

She isn't going to want wear the same swimsuit brands as her mom.

Neatfreak
05-27-2016, 08:18 AM
Lime Ricki (http://www.limericki.com/tankini-tops/)has very cute tankinis, actually - fun prints and kind of vintage-y.

boolady
05-27-2016, 09:03 AM

I think this is a YMMV thing, OP, and I wouldn't let that stop you from suggesting suits that you think would work for you and your DD. My DD (9.5 y/o) is concerned with the style of the suit, not where it's from, not to mention that she has no idea where I get my bathing suits or what brand they are.

gatorsmom
05-27-2016, 09:36 AM
We're a rashguard-wearing family, and my almost 12YO DD easily chose one again for this summer. I'm not sure if next summer will be a different story, but my child really hates sunscreen, so the less she has to re-apply, the happier she is. I'm gonna keep pushing that angle while I can because skin cancer is scary stuff.

This is the tactic I use too. I push rash guards whenever possible for my boys and girl and it's not a hard sell because Dh had skin cancer. Also, they got sunburned in Mexico this spring and I pointed out how much more painful it would have been if not for the rashguard!

Twoboos
05-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Struggling with this, too. I have always said NO to bikinis and made DDs get tankinis. So they just started rolling up the midriff-covering part last year!! Stinkers. ;)

I decided DD1 (12, going into 7th next year) can have one this year. This one caught my eye at Target so I grabbed it. http://www.target.com/p/girls-laser-cut-flounce-bikini-set-coral-cleobella/-/A-50593692#prodSlot=_1_2 I am going to check out some of the others posted here!

Now, my next problem is going to be DD2 and her wailing about how "It's not fair" DD1 (10, going into 6th next year) gets a bikini and she doesn't!! UGH! I'm going to play it as a going-into-7th-grade thing, and have a glass of wine. ;)

AnnieW625
05-27-2016, 10:53 AM
I think this is a YMMV thing, OP, and I wouldn't let that stop you from suggesting suits that you think would work for you and your DD. My DD (9.5 y/o) is concerned with the style of the suit, not where it's from, not to mention that she has no idea where I get my bathing suits or what brand they are.

I also don't want to be spending $100 on an Athleta or Title Nine swim suit for my kid when I have a hard time paying that price for a 13 yr. old (and I need a new suit myself this year and swallowing that $100 price tag is hard for me and I am 38). My kid might be the odd one but I couldn't take her even at 10 into Title 9 or Athleta to shop because that is where mom shops, just like she doesn't expect me to shop in the tween/juniors dept. at Macy's. I can't see that changing anytime soon IMHO.

SnuggleBuggles
05-27-2016, 10:57 AM
I gave into bikinis when DD1 was 8. DD1 is now 10 and she chose a swim skirt with a cropped top (from Hanna Anersson, which really surprised me!) She does have to wear a regular tank suit for a summer camp at a Christian school she goes to, and for swim team, but she still likes a bikini and I don't have a problem with it as long as it is age appropriate.

I agree with this and even though I was not comfortable in a bikini at 13 (I was 18 when I bought my first one) if I had wanted one my parents wouldn't have told me no. I would stick with a young brands like Roxy or one you that you find at a surf store.

I was speaking to the style and where you could find them. I didn't feel like digging up links- just trying to tell people where they could look for ideas. Plus, Macy's does have a juniors department. But this is what I was referring to:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/hula-honey-printed-flounce-halter-midkini-top-side-tab-hipster-bottom?ID=2528467&CategoryID=8699&LinkType=&selectedSize=#fn=SIZE%3DSPECIAL_SIZE%3AJuniors%26s p%3D2%26spc%3D204%26ruleId%3D65|BS|BA%26slotId%3D8 9%26rdppSegmentId%3DCONTROL
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/hula-honey-printed-flounce-halter-midkini-top-side-tab-hipster-bottom?ID=2528467&CategoryID=8699&LinkType=&selectedSize=#fn=SIZE%3DSPECIAL_SIZE%3AJuniors%26s p%3D2%26spc%3D204%26ruleId%3D65|BS|BA%26slotId%3D8 9%26rdppSegmentId%3DCONTROL
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/kenneth-cole-reaction-crochet-popover-tankini-top-hipster-bikini-bottom?ID=2719747&CategoryID=8699&selectedSize=#fn=SWIM_STYLE%3DTankini%26sp%3D1%26s pc%3D362%26ruleId%3D65|BS|BA%26slotId%3D12%26rdppS egmentId%3DCONTROL

AnnieW625
05-27-2016, 11:45 AM
I was speaking to the style and where you could find them. I didn't feel like digging up links- just trying to tell people where they could look for ideas. Plus, Macy's does have a juniors department. But this is what I was referring to:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/kenneth-cole-reaction-crochet-popover-tankini-top-hipster-bikini-bottom?ID=2719747&CategoryID=8699&selectedSize=#fn=SWIM_STYLE%3DTankini%26sp%3D1%26s pc%3D362%26ruleId%3D65|BS|BA%26slotId%3D12%26rdppS egmentId%3DCONTROL

Oh okay. Yes Macy's does have juniors, and at one store near me a nice tween section.

almostmom
05-27-2016, 01:24 PM
I thought about this a lot a couple years ago, and decided that for girls (well, my girl), it's about the style, not showing off her body. She likes the look of bikinis. And the ease of going to the bathroom! And I think that's ok. Everyone is wearing them, so I don't think the boys, or men, are going so crazy mad looking at young teens showing some skin. Do I want her in a string bikini? No, and she'll hear that. But showing her stomach when she swims? I have decided that I don't have a problem with that. She got a couple of cute suits from Justice this year, and they aren't going to move when she jumps in a pool. I think telling her she can't wear one might send a message that her body isn't something to be proud of and love. But that's just me. I also am someone who loves to go to hotspring places where everyone is naked (don't worry, I don't take my kids) and it isn't sexual at all. That said, I'm done with bikinis personally because, well, it's time to cover up the jiggles...

Anyway, I think there's a happy medium between a string bikini and a one-piece suit. Something that's more like a sports bra, but still pretty. Because most of us still want to feel pretty when we're in a bathing suit.

daisysmom
05-27-2016, 01:36 PM
I thought about this a lot a couple years ago, and decided that for girls (well, my girl), it's about the style, not showing off her body. She likes the look of bikinis. And the ease of going to the bathroom! And I think that's ok. Everyone is wearing them, so I don't think the boys, or men, are going so crazy mad looking at young teens showing some skin. Do I want her in a string bikini? No, and she'll hear that. But showing her stomach when she swims? I have decided that I don't have a problem with that. She got a couple of cute suits from Justice this year, and they aren't going to move when she jumps in a pool. I think telling her she can't wear one might send a message that her body isn't something to be proud of and love.

My DD has always worn bikinis and so have all of her friends, so I have always been a little surprised to read of a fairly common opposition to them on this board. We live at the pool all summer long (and winter, since we swim year round) and all the girls are in their swim team bathing suits for team stuff and then change into bikinis for the rest of the time. Same with the beach. I would worry a little about sending a body shaming message or that it is a girl's job to cover herself up so as not to tempt the young boys, but I felt that way about girls wearing leggings too. My DD is 9 and doesn't have any sort of chest yet, but I let her wear whatever she wants as long as it fits.

When I was young, we also lived at our pool in the summertime and bikinis were not super popular.... we all wore one pieces. That changed when I was in college, and I have worn 2 pieces ever since. But I never see a girl in a one piece now unless it is at a swim meet or practice.

abh5e8
05-27-2016, 05:39 PM
So are you all saying any two piece suit that shows the midriff is a bikini? I always wore a sports bra style two piece suit from about sixth grade on. But I wouldn't call it a bikini. To me a bikini is more of a regular bra style top and tiny bottoms.

SnuggleBuggles
05-27-2016, 07:18 PM
My DD has always worn bikinis and so have all of her friends, so I have always been a little surprised to read of a fairly common opposition to them on this board. We live at the pool all summer long (and winter, since we swim year round) and all the girls are in their swim team bathing suits for team stuff and then change into bikinis for the rest of the time. Same with the beach. I would worry a little about sending a body shaming message or that it is a girl's job to cover herself up so as not to tempt the young boys, but I felt that way about girls wearing leggings too. My DD is 9 and doesn't have any sort of chest yet, but I let her wear whatever she wants as long as it fits.

When I was young, we also lived at our pool in the summertime and bikinis were not super popular.... we all wore one pieces. That changed when I was in college, and I have worn 2 pieces ever since. But I never see a girl in a one piece now unless it is at a swim meet or practice.

At the pool now. Every 11-12+ girl is wearing a bikini.

DualvansMommy
05-27-2016, 07:41 PM

That is the exact scenario at my country club pool. We're there all.the.time throughout the summer, and every girl 11 and older are in bikinis. Fair number of younger girls but not a given though, as there's a wide range of styles with girls under 8.

I went to an all girls catholic school and remember being told we had to cover up and be modest, lest we make boys lust after us. I hated the message being send to us, and swore if I had girls I would not send any kind of messages like that via body language and clothing.

american_mama
05-31-2016, 12:37 AM
My girls are both more modest than me in clothing. They both want one-pieces... high neck one pieces, actually! Not easy to find. They won't wear any bikini, DD2 won't wear any tankini, and neither will wear anything with a v neck or remotely low cut top.

My girls don't care what anyone else wears for a suit. They know what they like. And I guess that attitude is one to celebrate.

citymama
05-31-2016, 12:57 AM

I agree with this recommendation. These aren't anything like lingerie, quite modest as bikinis go, and seem to be popular among tweens and young teens. Definitely the kind of suit I'll look for when DD1 starts asking to only wear bikinis. Right now she's 10, built like a little kid, wears Hanna Andersson tankini or rashguard separates for swim lessons and to the beach.

Twoboos
05-31-2016, 03:03 PM

I found two with this fluttery top look at Target, gave them both to DD1 this weekend and she was THRILLED!! :)

solsister
06-26-2016, 04:31 PM
Lands End has great choices up to size 16, which fit my almost 14 yr old, 5'4-115 lbs. women's size 6.
The "bikinis' are really good coverage, and my daughter will thrown on one of the rash guard if we are out all day.
We live at the beach and my daughter wears a suit every day. She will wear a one piece or tankini or bikini and feel great.
She just wants to know that the suit is not going anywhere, and she has that sense of comfort with LE. She's got a couple
of suits and swim shorts from Old Navy and Walmart, as well.

oneplustwo
06-26-2016, 10:25 PM
When my DD was in middle school and wanted a bikini, I got her one from Speedo ~ more like a sports bra on top and a bottom that covered her bottom, but still cute. She loved it, plus she could swim without worrying whether it would stay put. Now she's in high school and has a couple of skimpier options but she prefers the Speedo bikinis because she's never worrying about flashing someone or having to tug/adjust all the time like she does with the others.

Speedo comes out with a new bikini style each year for girls ~ http://www.speedousa.com/illusion-cubes-splice-camikini-2pc-7-16/style-7714005

kit
06-27-2016, 01:31 PM
Just wanted to share my story. When I pulled out DD's swimsuit for this summer DH was concerned it was too revealing. First off, DD is still in preschool. Second, her swimsuit is a long sleeve rashguard and swim skirt. Not sure how he's going to handle when she becomes a tween/teen :ROTFLMAO:

cheme
06-27-2016, 02:17 PM
Lands End has great choices up to size 16, which fit my almost 14 yr old, 5'4-115 lbs. women's size 6.
The "bikinis' are really good coverage, and my daughter will thrown on one of the rash guard if we are out all day.
We live at the beach and my daughter wears a suit every day. She will wear a one piece or tankini or bikini and feel great.
She just wants to know that the suit is not going anywhere, and she has that sense of comfort with LE. She's got a couple
of suits and swim shorts from Old Navy and Walmart, as well.

This is a good idea. My dd much prefers one pieces, but she has so long of a torso that the size 16 don't work anymore. I bet the tankinis would, although she may need to settle for some of her stomach showing.

We went with a womens speedo from costco because she really wanted a full coverage one piece, but even that doesn't fit great. She is super skinny but with the long torso, it makes the suits lower on her chest that either of us would like.

mom2binsd
06-27-2016, 10:58 PM
I just left Target with DD, who just turned 13. She had to get medium size bikini tops (she's about a 34B) and XS bottoms, she has a super cute figure, and is very fit from swimming, but also is wanting to be appropriately covered. Everygirl around here wears a bikini, tiny little girls, average size and larger girls, which I'm happy to see wearing what they want, and not worrying about what looks "perfect". I don't see the issue with bikini's at all, as long as they fit properly and stay on. We swim mostly at a semi private pool, but even at the bigger public pools I see it all. Nobody around here (Central IL) wears a rash guard. I bought some a few years back and both of my kids looked at me like I had three heads! We use sunscreen and haven't burned yet.

citymama
06-28-2016, 12:39 AM
If people are still looking, Athleta Girl has some adorable tankini sets that would probably please parents and teens!

american_mama
07-11-2016, 02:11 AM
Many of the options in this thread were a little expensive for me, plus I wanted free in-person returns. If it helps anyone else, Zero Xposure is brand sold at Sears and JCPenney's that has worked for us multiple times for my two daughters who like modest suits. Sportier styles and tank top tankinis (or high neck tankinis) work for them becuase they don;t like anything too low, too V cut, too emphasizing the bust.

DD2 already had swim shorts and just got this tankini from JCPenney's. The colors in the top are not correct.... in person, it is charcoal gray, light purple, and green.
http://tinyurl.com/h25u22p

There is also one in more of a charcoal zebra/tie dye look called Sunshine.

Sears has an identical style in stripes, which DD2 liked even better, but it runs very small... DD2 (5'2", 130 pounds, A cup) would have needed a medium.
http://www.sears.com/everlast-reg-women-s-tankini-swim-top-abstract-print/p-017VA87211312P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

She also really liked this one, which comes in many colors. But the underband emphasizes the bust more, which my 11 year old didn't want.

http://www.jcpenney.com/zeroxposur-static-wide-strap-tankini-swim-top-swim-bottoms-or-swim-cover-up/prod.jump?ppId=ens6006580035&catId=cat1006250055&deptId=cat100250101&&_dyncharset=UTF-8&colorizedImg=DP0201201617024611M.TIF

DD2 wanted a one piece, but they were nigh impossible to find even online, and the ones I ordered didn't fit her. Kohl's, Justice, Sears, JCPenney and Lands End are where I looked. She switched to the tankini options when she found the tops linked above and realized she could wear swim shorts.

Twoboos
07-11-2016, 08:58 AM
DD1 also got the LLBean BeanSport Bikini top and side tie swim bottom in Blue Reef Wave print, and she loves them! They are super cute and have enough coverage IMO (although she was struggling with trying to tie the straps on the top, LOL).