PDA

View Full Version : Cute (not too 'mom-ish/ frumpy') swimsuits for pear shapes?

ourbabygirl
05-24-2016, 11:29 AM
I'm not completely a pear shape (more hourglass, but I'm bigger on bottom and nursing has left my ladies much smaller :(). What do you ladies wear to accentuate the positives, especially if you're very small on top? Not sure what style swimsuit is best, and where to get it. I was a normal B cup, but now I'm more like an A, if that.
I have a couple of tankini tops and swim mini bottoms (one from LE, one from Nordstrom), but I'd like something cuter and not like I've completely given up. :loveeyes:

Thanks so much!

specialp
05-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Tops that tie behind the neck vs. 2 over the shoulder straps are more flattering on me with a small chest. If doing the 2 straps, triangle shapes up top are more flattering. I tend to wear swim shorts by a different brand, but all of my favorite suits and tops are la blanca brand.

gymnbomb
05-24-2016, 12:09 PM
What types of swimsuits are you comfortable in? It sounds like what you have now provides a lot of coverage. Are you looking to stay with that, or go for something with less coverage? I know I am comfortable in bikini bottoms (well, the LE cut ones anyway!) but not at all comfortable in bikini tops. I do mix and match tankini tops and different types of bottoms from LE. I have a couple of rash guards and cute cover ups that I throw in the mix sometimes. I think you will look best in something you feel comfortable and confident in, no matter what that ends up being!

citymama
05-24-2016, 01:04 PM
I wear Athleta halter bikini tops (I buy an XS) worn with Athleta swim shorts. I bought my last swimsuit there two years ago and they've redesigned the swim shorts to be shorter and less forgiving, so I am now looking at Title Nine's swim shorts. The halter style that ties behind the neck is flattering for smaller chested women and the shorts are great for running around w/ kids at the beach.

This is one of the halter bikini tops I have from Athleta - LOVE this style (Shirrendipity halter top) and you can combine with any bottoms since they're solid colored. http://m.athleta.gap.com/product.html?dn=ap7392030220000&pdn=search

ourbabygirl
05-25-2016, 10:09 PM
Sorry, should have added that I've been wearing tankini tops (well, one tankini top from LE, and one tankini top that ties behind the neck, Trina Turk from Nordstrom), with a swim mini or short swim skirt. I'm kind of self conscious about my thighs, so I'm not sure I want to do a bikini bottom, plus I'd have to wax or shave down there. So yeah, I'd like to keep covering my stomach with a tankini vs. bikini top, and I like the ease of two pieces for changing & potty breaks, etc. :)

SnuggleBuggles
05-25-2016, 10:23 PM
Victoria's Secret has tankinis and they are far less "frumpy " than Lands End ones (which I also own- the halter ones can be cute).
I feel like you should try bikini bottoms. If you think your bottom half is heavy and you're a pear, you might just be adding volume where you don't want it. I'd experiment with a variety of bottoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elektra
05-25-2016, 10:30 PM
I would just say no to Lands end anything then. Nordstrom, Old Navy, or Athleta is where I might start. And there are always rash guards over a bikini top!

SnuggleBuggles
05-25-2016, 10:33 PM
Zappos and Title Nine are worth a check too. REI has more sporty options but some cute ones. I really like a brand I stumbled on a few years back, Lole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat?
05-25-2016, 10:45 PM
I would just say no to Lands end anything then. Nordstrom, Old Navy, or Athleta is where I might start. And there are always rash guards over a bikini top!

I'm doing the rash guard over bikini top this year. Waiting for a coupon so I can get a couple of styles from Athleta (a short sleeve style and a tank style - already have the long sleeve rash guard). The reason is that I'm a hard to fit bra size. A well-fitting bra-sized bikini top will make a huge difference. It's possible you're not an A after all but a "floppy B" - a good bikini top will force those girls into a more rounded shape!! I bought a couple of the Freya sweetheart bikini tops (the model number starts with 37XX, with the XX different based on color/pattern). This thing fits so well and gets my very floppy DD girls all smoothly contained. I'm so happy with it!

Anyway so my opinion is to measure correctly for your size and get a great bikini top that fits well, I've gone through so many tankinis that are just not right for one reason or another. The one thing I haven't tried are bra-sized tankinis because I haven't been able to find one in my size (28DD) that's not a solid color (I prefer patterns, more forgiving).

I had a couple of title nine tankini tops last year that worked OK for one season and then stretched out enough that my saggy boobs looked, well, saggy:( But check there too!

ourbabygirl
05-25-2016, 11:30 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions, Everyone! :waving4: Hope to get to the mall this weekend to try on some stuff.

calebsmama03
06-04-2016, 07:47 PM
I have this bathing suit in red and in steel grey http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear/bathing-beauty-one-piece-swimsuit-in-red It is so amazingly cute. Look at the reviews and photos on Modcloth for the various colors (Just search there for "bathing beauty") - it literally looks good on EVERYbody. There are photos of size 2 women on up to plus size and it is so flattering. It comes in a 2-piece bikini with a more modest bottom that I want to try. Amazon has a lot of similar styles retro suits that are much cheaper but no idea the quality. I plan to try some but haven't yet.

Note if you try the modcloth suit read the reviews, look at the size chart, and buy accordingly. You have to size up 2 sizes in the one piece because it is retro sizing.