PDA

View Full Version : What age for texting?

turtledove
06-02-2016, 05:08 PM
DD1 is in 4th grade, just turned 10, and has been hounding me about being able to text. I was not prepared for it to start this early. She and another girl are the only girls in her class not texting (yes, I know this for a fact, not just DD exaggerating). Most of the girls don't have phones, but have texting apps on their devices. I was thinking this would be more of a middle school issue not something coming to a head now. Am I extremely out of touch with reality? I am not ready to open up this world to her, but at some point she is going to be the odd man out. Advice?

hillview
06-02-2016, 05:24 PM
DS1 is 10 and in 5th. There are a bunch kids in his class who text. We do not allow it.

StantonHyde
06-02-2016, 06:19 PM
DD emails a few of her friends back and forth in the evenings. She texts one boy. These are all on my computer and phone. I review the texts and emails--she signs them as "donuts, sparkle, fluff". She is 11 and just finished 5th grade.

georgiegirl
06-02-2016, 07:23 PM
DD is the same age, and she texts 2 friends from her iPad on iMessage. It's a lot of "hi" plus silly emoticons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

egoldber
06-02-2016, 07:38 PM
For my older DD, in 5th grade there was *some* texting, but in 6th it exploded. Younger DD is in third and I know there are lot more kids texting in 4th/5th than there were when my oldest was that age. The times are changing fast.

ladysoapmaker
06-02-2016, 08:39 PM
We have a rule no phone/texting until 12. Generally by this time they have so many after school stuff, that it's easier for them to contact us with changes to the schedule. Email was younger but we've always had access to accounts and phones....

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

almostmom
06-03-2016, 10:33 AM
My 4th grade DD texts with a few friends. It is totally harmless, and a way for them to be in touch out of school. She does it on her hand-me-down itouch and occasionally maybe on the ipad. She doesn't have a phone and won't until 6th grade. I don't think texting is a problem. Not really different than letting her talk on the phone, in my opinion. We do have rules about when she can and can't, but the texting rules are more lax than the screen rules.

daisysmom
06-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Texting took off for us this year - 3rd grade/ DD turned 9 in March. All between girls, no boys. I read them all and they are just a lot of emicons and fluff "hey what's up?" kinds of texts. None of the girls have phones yet but everyone has ipad minis.

SnuggleBuggles
06-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Middle school. I don't think it's at all necessary before that but I also wouldn't buy a device before that age either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
06-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Middle school. I don't think it's at all necessary before that but I also wouldn't buy a device before that age either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes to this, although there are kids in Dd1's class who text using their iPod touches or their parents phones. Dd1 has no interest in this, but I assume it will change in middle school.

boolady
06-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Texting took off for us this year - 3rd grade/ DD turned 9 in March. All between girls, no boys. I read them all and they are just a lot of emicons and fluff "hey what's up?" kinds of texts. None of the girls have phones yet but everyone has ipad minis.

:yeahthat: Texting became big with DD's friends this year and she is allowed to text a few friends from her mini. She is also 9 and in 3rd grade. She's not really into it, though, which is fine with me.

MamaMolly
06-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Lula texts her cousin, and on she one and only spend the night she texted me. It's cute what they text.

turtledove
06-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Thanks everyone for their input. I am still not comfortable with allowing her to do it now, but I may revisit the issue next year (as opposed to Middle School when I thought I would be doing it).

niccig
06-06-2016, 10:41 PM
Yes to this, although there are kids in Dd1's class who text using their iPod touches or their parents phones. Dd1 has no interest in this, but I assume it will change in middle school.

This is DS. He's in 5th grade and some friends have phones and to text him, they text my phone number asking for DS to call them. DS does have an ipod and there's a family ipad, but he hasn't shown interest in texting from those. I expect it will change soon.

94bruin
06-11-2016, 02:45 AM
Dd1 has been using Hangouts for about the last year. She just turned 11 and just finished 5th grade (last year of elementary school.) I had her on Hangouts because I got notification on my Android phone everytime she sent a text. As pps have mentioned, it was mostly fluff, stickers and talking about what happened at school. She really only texted one or two girls during the school year. Within the last few months, she's added a few boys to the mix. These are boys that I'm comfortable with her texting as I know all their parents well.

She just got a dumbphone for her birthday. She hasn't really been using it except to text that inital friend from Hangouts as most of her friends don't have their own phone yet.