PDA

View Full Version : Why is Portland, OR so expensive in mid August?

AnnieW625
06-09-2016, 03:02 PM
So we thought we might go visit my brother and SIL in Oregon this year for vacation, but rental car prices are almost $600 a week for an economy car even using Costco.com. Hotels are still less than $250 a night, but I am flummoxed by the high cost of rental cars. We also thought about flying to Seattle and spending a few days there and then driving down to Portland, but that added $250 on to the rental car because we would be returning it at a different airport. We have airline points so that is helping with airfare, but at this point I can think of a few other places that might be cheaper than a trip to Portland:(.

Zansu
06-10-2016, 05:12 PM
Annie:

PM me and I can help with the car.

SnuggleBuggles
06-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Call non airport locations for car rental. Often cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
06-11-2016, 09:34 AM
I checked the non airport locations using Costco rental car and actually after using the AAA code on hertz.com I found a slightly better price, but still not the max of 150 for a week I am used to paying. With that said we are now rethinking the idea of Portland and may go to Zion National Park instead because it is driving distance (6 hrs.). Zansu I will send you a pm about the rental car.

SnuggleBuggles
06-11-2016, 09:36 AM
I checked the non airport locations using Costco rental car and actually after using the AAA code on hertz.com I found a slightly better price, but still not the max of 150 for a week I am used to paying. With that said we are now rethinking the idea of Portland and may go to Zion National Park instead because it is driving distance (6 hrs.). Zansu I will send you a pm about the rental car.

No, you have to call each location directly. Not the 800 number either.

But your new plan sounds good. That's not a very long drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jent
06-11-2016, 04:01 PM
No Portland-specific advice, but I often find the lowest car rental price by using Kayak.com.

sunnyside
06-17-2016, 12:22 PM
I live in Portland and would be happy to help. There is a car share company that is like AIrbnb for cars, and has some fun options too. One of my cottage guests (I have a vacation cottage I rent out in the Alberta arts district), used it and got an adorable Fiat.

Let me know if I can help with anything!