PDA

View Full Version : Books on Adolescent Brain Development/Normal Growth

StantonHyde
06-12-2016, 12:17 AM
DS is starting to hit full fledge teen attitude and DD is not far behind. I spend my days being frustrated and annoyed by the attitude and the ingratitude. If I think about it, I wasn't exactly a grateful person as a teen either...... I think what would help me is some book sort of like the Female Brain book that I read when I was pregnant--it talked about the brain through all stages of a woman's life and it let me know that I was not crazy, that my brain was pruning parts in order to forge new pathways (which meant I wandered around like somebody who was getting senile).

So I don't need a book about how adolescents love risk, etc. This is more--what part of the being a jerk is normal. (same thing as when they were 3 and I thought I would run screaming into the night....) If I can get a good grounding on the boundaries of normal, it will help me overlook somethings, teach others, and hold the line when they step over it.

sigh.......

Meatball Mommie
06-12-2016, 09:56 PM
How about "The Whole Brain Child"? Not specific to teen brains but very interesting/helpful. Also "The Teenage Brain" - I haven't read it but it looks promising.

mattiew
08-23-2016, 09:03 AM
"Middle School Makeover: Improving the Way You and Your Child Experience the Middle School Years" by Michelle Icard
It was recommended to me by a friend and I keep recommending it as well. Great book that helps you keep this time of HUGE development in perspective; the first portion of the book is exactly what you are looking for....their brains go on a break!!!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
08-25-2016, 11:52 AM
This has lots of good info as well. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/inside-the-teenage-brain/ . DD1 will be 14 in early november and thank god i think we're finally turning a bit of a corner but the sass has been epic. I love to respond with " I love you too ." She has nothing to come back at that with. LOl.

jse107
09-06-2016, 03:10 PM
It's funny you mention that it's like when they were 3, because that's EXACTLY what it is--another toddlerhood. They want to be independent and "do it myself" but also need parents there for backup. Remember--you survived it then, you'll get through it now!

citymama
09-06-2016, 04:38 PM
Following this thread!