PDA

View Full Version : What are tween girls using for backpacks in middle school?

pinkmomagain
06-22-2016, 10:59 AM
DD3 is finishing up her last few days of elementary school and headed to middle school in September. Just wondering what's "cool" for girls this age in middle school? Back in the day, with my older ones, it was vera bradley tote bags.

SnuggleBuggles
06-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Remember that it's so so regional. Heck, even within a region it's school specific. Most of the time people rave about brands on here, they aren't at all popular where I live. I swear it just takes one trendsetter per school to dictate what's the thing to wear. So I'd just observe where you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahisma
06-22-2016, 11:14 AM
Around here you can't go wrong with a Herschel.

mom2binsd
06-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Lots of Jansport here. Also Nike and Underarmour. I"m in the midwest and not many Vera Bradley backpacks. Also NO NAMES or initials at all.

Corie
06-22-2016, 11:34 AM
My daughter just finished 8th grade here in Cincinnati area and most of the girls have Very Bradley backpacks.

khm
06-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Remember that it's so so regional. Heck, even within a region it's school specific. Most of the time people rave about brands on here, they aren't at all popular where I live. I swear it just takes one trendsetter per school to dictate what's the thing to wear. So I'd just observe where you are.

Yup.

Here, lots of UnderArmour and Nike, our bus stop has about 15 kids and these are what most have in the middle school / older elementary world. Leaving the neighborhood, these are also what I notice at the other stops. A few of my daughter's friends have Vera Bradley, but they don't look super practical to me. My daughter said her friends that have them struggle to carry everything. Maybe they got small/cute ones vs. larger ones?

cilantromapuche
06-22-2016, 12:02 PM
LL Bean here. I do see Vera Bradley but we are not the kind of people to get a new backpack every year so LL Bean it is!

Twoboos
06-22-2016, 12:14 PM
DD1 has been using a Jansport backpack for the past couple years, which is still in great condition. She claims she wants a new one this year. She's been looking at Vera Bradley and PBTeen.

I don't get the Vera Bradley ones. I think they'll get ruined really fast b/c of the fabric. But I saw they seem to have new ones in polyester fabric this year, so maybe one of those. Plus they do not look big enough to hold everything they carry every day! Her backpack was nearly bursting most days.

AnnieW625
06-22-2016, 12:24 PM

:yeahthat:

Dd1 begged me for a rolling backpack for two years and I finally gave in and bought her a rolling pack from LL Bean. I told her it has to last until at least 7th grade, if not 8th grade. The pack is a tank so with any luck I can give it to her sister when she starts 4th grade if Dd1 decides that rolling backpacks are uncool. Thankfully rolling backpacks are still common in middle school at our school, which is a pk-8 school with 330 kids. I don't see many rolling packs in public middle, but that is just limited to the kids I see walking or riding their bikes to school. There are still kids that take the city bus or are driven by parents so no idea what kids use.

Jansport is popular brand here and what Dd1 used for two years prior to getting her rolling pack this past April.

jerseygirl07067
06-22-2016, 12:27 PM
Backpacks are used universally here. The kids unfortunately have to lug their stuff around all day since the school no longer lets them use lockers. I am looking for a new one, and was looking at some of the PB ones. I've always bought Lands End or LL Bean but the patterns of the PB ones are ones my tweens would like more. I just don't know how they hold up and if they are lightweight.

kwc
06-22-2016, 12:46 PM

So true. I have a rising 8th grade girl and have never seen anyone with a Vera Bradley bag here. Nike, UA, Jansport with the sportier kids, Herschel and a few other brands for the semi or not sporty. DD has a DaKine bag (originally meant to hold her laptop but the school insists they use a separate bag) and we have been happy with the quality... there are a number of other girls with Dakine bags as well.

lfp2n
06-22-2016, 03:31 PM
lot of kids have North Face here in Middle and HS. They are expensive but DDs has lasted 3 yrs and no plan to replace it yet.

klwa
06-23-2016, 08:25 AM
You may want to talk to some other parents in your area. Our middle school had a "no backpacks" rule, at least as of 2 years ago when DNiece was in 8th. You couldn't even use a clear one.

KrystalS
06-23-2016, 09:31 AM
The Vera Bradley bags are very popular in our area but I do not recommend them. I paid $110 for DDs last year and the top strap broke after a couple of months. Dillard's wouldn't let me return it and Vera Bradley customer service wanted me to mail in the backpack for repair which would have taken 6 weeks. Which meant I would have had to replace the back in the meantime regardless! I was not happy. DD just used the bag for the rest of the year since it was only the top strap. I was hoping to get at least 2 years out of that bag.

Mikey0709
06-23-2016, 11:31 AM
Here it seems the most popular is Nike, Underarmour, north face.... or any brand that TARGET or Costco sells.

My son had a DAKINE campus backpack - and we LOVED the electronic compartment, insulated cooler pocket and the fact it was HUGE. Bought off amazon and it held up well!

ett
06-23-2016, 11:36 AM
You may want to talk to some other parents in your area. Our middle school had a "no backpacks" rule, at least as of 2 years ago when DNiece was in 8th. You couldn't even use a clear one.

How are kids suppose to carry all their stuff?

SummerBaby
06-24-2016, 03:17 PM
DD, who just finished sixth grade, has a Vera Bradley- as do most of the girls in her class. It's nylon backpack material, not cotton. We had a very good experience. Despite stuffing it with several huge binders, PE clothes and a lunch box, it looks brand new after the school year.

Corie
06-24-2016, 08:04 PM
DD has a DaKine bag (originally meant to hold her laptop but the school insists they use a separate bag) and we have been happy with the quality... there are a number of other girls with Dakine bags as well.

I bought my daughter a small Dakine backpack for her Washington DC trip and it is great quality. I would definitely order from them again!!

erosenst
06-24-2016, 10:48 PM
Agree that it's totally regional. We got DD a Vera Bradley for starting middle as that was THE backpack among friends. Have to say that it held up surprisingly well - maybe because at her school backpacks have to stay in their lockers during the day.