PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon (North, South Rim), Lake Powell, Zion? Beginner Questions

liz
07-22-2016, 11:42 AM
We are planning a big trip next year (June) with DH's family- 14 people in total, from ages 7-80. We are absolute newbies to the area. As a group we have a few places on everyone's wish list. We are planning at least 8-10 days flying in from the east coast. We are also thinking of renting 3 minivans which would allow us to split up as desired, no need to stay together all the time. Hoping to find accommodations using VRBO, AirBnB etc. My biggest problem right now is that even with maps, its really hard for us to figure out exactly how far everything is from one another.

Below is a quote from the family email chain. Is this doable?

1. South rim … Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend day tour. 5 stars on trip advisor. One of the things we all an do as an entire group. Look it up for details. Sounds really good. ($199A/$119C)
2. North Rim … Rim Trail. This is a free thing. Hiking is an easy level with many stops to view the canyon. There is also a shuttle that goes from stop to stop so if you want to walk one leg and ride the rest you can. free
3. Lake Powell (north rim)
4. Bryce Canyon (north rim)
5. Zion National Park (north rim)
6. Colorado River Float Trip - See the Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, Black Canyon, Hot Water Springs. It's an 11 mile float. ($160A/$150C)

Lastly, what airport/s should we fly in and out of?

aahh, thanks for any help, I'm really overwhelmed!

StantonHyde
07-22-2016, 01:30 PM
Go to www.fodors.com (http://www.fodors.com) and check out the community forums for great feedback and ideas. The best place to fly in and out of for you would be Vegas. Drive to the South Rim and spend 1-2 days there. You can hike along the rim and take the shuttle to various stops. You will want to stay at one of the lodges in the park.

Lake Powell--there isn't a North Rim. It's about 2 hours from the South Rim. Are you going to rent a houseboat or do something there? That can be fun. Or take the very long boat ride to Rainbow Bridge. Unless you are house boating, I would skip it. If you don't houseboat, you would stay in Page and see Antelope Canyon--lots of hotels there. Not sure about VRBO. For Antelope Canyon, uou really have to go with a guide. I would suggest doing the lower canyon. The upper one is so stinking crowded, that it is crazy. Stop off at the Powell river museum while you are in Page--very interesting.

Now I am not sure why you are doing both the South and North rim??? If you want to avoid crowds and have nice cool temps, then definitely go to the north rim. The only issue is that lodging options are more limited there. You have to stay in the park or at Jacob Lake.

Bryce--you can drive the rim and do some nice hikes along the rim. I really liked the horse back ride in Red Canyon--do it through Rubys Inn. I would suggest staying at Rubys Inn outside the park--they have a pool etc. You are not going to get good, close VRBO options here. You need a solid day to see Bryce.

Zion--again stay outside the park in Springdale. Best places for families are the Cable Mountain Lodge or the Desert Pearl Inn. You need at least a day if not 2 in Zion.

The float trip is towards Lake Mead?? I toured the Hoover Dam--it is amazing.

Please note--do NOT plan to drive in this area at night. There are lots of animals out and if you hit one, it is not good. Plus then you miss all the amazing scenery!!!

If you want specific trip reports on Zion, Bryce, Page etc with kids, PM me and I can send you the links.

liz
07-23-2016, 09:01 AM
Now I am not sure why you are doing both the South and North rim???

Good question! It's part of the reason I posted. My SIL found a guided tour through AAA and it includes flying into Phoenix and travelling north and ending up in Las Vegas. The guided tour started at $2100pp, no flights. Yeah, that's waaaay too much for my budget! Anyway, she was using that tour as a rough itinerary. Honestly, I'm wondering if it's too big of an area to get through in one trip, so I thought it best to ask someone with more knowledge of this area.

I will absolutely check out Fodors etc, thank you for that info. I think what we need first, as a group, is to decide what spots to visit. I am thinking that for most of us, this may be a once in a lifetime trip to the Grand Canyon. I think DH's family wants to make the most of it. Is it crazy to try and "see it all" in one trip?

Overall, I think most of us want a somewhat active vacation. A few things that were also thrown out as suggestions are ATV rides and zip lining, in addition to what I posted upthread. I'm not sure we will all participate in every activity, but I think all of us dread just driving to a spot, taking pictures and then driving to the next spot.

I would LOVE any trip reports you can send my way. I feel like once I can get a rough itinerary, then planning will be so much easier.

Chitowngirl
07-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Never done it but sounds like a fun trip. Be sure to do a trip report when you get back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StantonHyde
07-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Liz--you can do GC, Zion and Bryce in one trip if you have enough days. Figure 2 days in each place plus 4 days travel plus days for air travel and you should be ok. Realize that with a big group it is going to take much longer. I am not much of a motorized sports person--more of a hiker. You can't do motorized sports in the parks where you are going. A horseback ride in Bryce/Red Canyon is amazing and much better than an ATV ride where you just go along the rim. But you can arrange them through Rubys Inn. There is plenty of hiking to do and fun places to visit--you could stop off at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary which my kids loved. Check out the trip reports below for ideas. Also--go to the nps.gov site to look at each national park. Check out the Things to Do section and look at the park newsletter for ranger talks, suggested hikes, etc etc. The visitors center should be your first stop at any NP.

Trip report for Page and Kanab:
http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/kanab-and-page-with-kids-trip-report.cfm

Bryce:
http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bryce-canyon-with-kids.cfm

Zion:
http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/zion-with-kids-report.cfm

I have not taken my kids to the GC but I have done 5 backpacking trips into the GC--off of the North and South rims. Flying in/out of Vegas does seem to be the way to go. If you simply search the Fodors Forums for Grand Canyon, Bryce, and Zion you will find many itineraries of folks doing the exact trip you are doing--there is a lot of really good advice there. Trip Advisor is good to find out specifics about individual activities or lodging. But if you want to look at everything as a whole and all the logistics--then Fodors is the best. (I don't work for them, I just use that site all.the.time. to plan my trips and I post my trip reports to give back/so others can learn)

mommytoC
07-23-2016, 07:15 PM
We visited Sedona, the GC (South Rim), Page & Zion during Spring Break this year - so it's definitely a doable trip!

We flew into Phoenix & out of Las Vegas; we spent 2 nights in each location, except the Grand Canyon (1 night) & 1 night in Las Vegas before flying home. I can pm our itinerary, if you'd like :)

If I were traveling in June, I'd love to visit the North Rim (skipping the more crowded South unless hiking between the two). It's a great time of year to visit, & closer to Page & the Utah parks.

Re: your itinerary:
1) you can visit Horseshoe Bend on your own, but need a tour guide for either Antelope Canyon (we visited Lower on our trip) - both are just outside of Page. Also in Page is the Glen Canyon Dam - slightly shorter, but wider than the Hoover Dam, & still quite impressive, IMO.

You can also raft the Colorado River from Page. (We planned a half-day trip on Spring Break, but it was cancelled due to wind.)

liz
07-24-2016, 08:38 AM
I can pm our itinerary, if you'd like :)

Yes please, that would be great! I'll be checking out Fodors as well :)

eta, I am sure I'll still have more questions, but this is a great start. Thanks.

mommytoC
07-24-2016, 10:45 PM
Yes please, that would be great! I'll be checking out Fodors as well :)

eta, I am sure I'll still have more questions, but this is a great start. Thanks.

Done! We didn't visit Bryce Canyon this time, because we'll be going back to visit the rest of Utah's national parks in a couple of years.

You could also consider Cedar Breaks National Monument (between Las Vegas and Bryce Canyon) if you have time...but no matter your final itinerary, it should be a fabulous family trip :).