PDA

View Full Version : Strider XL seat?

okinawama
07-31-2016, 12:08 PM
Has anyone purchased the XL seat for the strider? I'm looking to extend the use of our Strider for 5 yr old DS, and he has currently outgrown the 12in maximum seat height. He loved the strider, and zoomed around like crazy, however, once he got too tall for it he wasn't able to move his legs like he needed to to really have full range of motion. We tried transitioning him to a big boy bike, as his balance was excellent, but he just couldn't get the hang of it. We took the pedals off the bike, and even then, he had a really difficult time maneuvering it. I think it's the weight of the bike that is giving him problems. He has low tone, and I wonder if his core strength isn't strong enough just yet to ride the heavier bike. His OT recommended trying him on the larger 16inch strider (which he tried at OT at seemed to really enjoy), but after I looked at the bike, it's $200. If we can get by with just the xl seat (which is $15), we'd much rather go that route, but I don't know anyone who has purchased one.

melwe
07-31-2016, 04:49 PM
Yes I have purchased this to get more use out of out Strider.

My DD used it until 5 or 6. After that it was started to become too small. We tried switching her over to a regular bike around 6/7 but she lost her confidence and wouldn't touch a bike again until 8. My DH kind of pushed her into learning to ride a bike and she picked it up in a week. For her it was definitely the weight and size of a regular bike, she just felt very unsteady.

My DS currently uses the extended seat at 4 (almost 5). He has no problems with the Strider or a regular bike though.

I remember when I was researching the bike I was carefully looking at the measurements because she was in between a Strider with the extended seat vs. the XL. I wound up choosing the extended seat because I thought we would get use with another kid. The measurements they give are pretty accurate with my kids getting a little more use (even if they've outgrown them.)

Hope that helps.

teresah00
07-31-2016, 06:00 PM
Never tried the XL but we have a strider. I would probably put the money towards a high quality, lightweight bike in his size. Probably woom. Maybe Islabike. DD has low tone and even though we already have a 12 in hot rock that my other kids used I will most likely buy a woom.