PDA

View Full Version : Feeding 15 People Kids and Adults In Vacation Home

Kindra178
08-03-2016, 05:31 PM
I am charge of dinner one night while on vacation. I need to feed 15 people, 7 kids (age range 2-10) and adults. In years past, I have cooked my usual big group favorites - pulled pork, sausage and peppers, meatball sandwiches, lasagna. Need some new ideas. The homes where we have stayed in the past have been limited but I can bring whatever is needed.

Thinking taco bar. I prefer ground meat to shredded in the slow cooker, but I would love to use my slow cooker to do the meat. How? How many pounds? Thinking, tortillas (corn and flour), meat(s), sour cream, pinto beans, black beans, rice, peppers, salsas, chips. Everything will be deconstructed, so anyone on a special diet can just pick and choose whatever they want.

Either way I need to bake some plain chicken breasts for my inlaws.

Mods, I put here for more traffic. Would love comments, thoughts or ideas.

BunnyBee
08-03-2016, 05:39 PM
I've pre-made the taco meat and frozen it in quart ziplocs. Make sure they fit in the slow cooker. Then just toss them in, totally frozen, and put it on the lowest low setting.

I like this recipe for tacos: http://www.food.com/recipe/americas-test-kitchen-beef-tacos-314504 It freezes perfectly.

If you have an extra slow cooker or instant pot, you can do the beans in it.

megs4413
08-03-2016, 05:45 PM
Shredded taco meat in the crock pot is like the easiest thing ever. Chicken breasts + jarred salsa. Low setting for 6 hours. But, if you prefer ground meat, I would just pre-cook your meat and then place in the crock pot to simmer with seasoning and some onion, maybe. I would say 4lbs for a group that size.

One of my large group go-to's is sour cream chicken enchiladas. You bake the chicken (I brine for a couple hours, then season, then bake and shred), then roll the tortillas with some cheese and some chicken into greased baking dishes seam-side down. You can make as many as you want, but two 9X13's worth should be enough. For the sauce, you can buy a canned red enchilada sauce, but I like to make my own sour cream sauce (it seems like kids like it better than the red sauce). I cheat and use a can of cream of chicken, one medium sized container of sour cream, one small can of chopped green chilies (not drained) and about a half cup of chicken broth (just to desired consistency). You pour that over the tops of the rolled enchiladas and then top with shredded cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling. I make homemade salsa to go on the side and just buy tortilla chips. Not the healthiest meal on earth, but very tasty, inexpensive, and easy to adapt for a large group. HTH!

geochick
08-03-2016, 05:47 PM
I'd call it a taco/burrito bar so that vegetarians can make a burrito. Don't forget lettuce. Gluten-free folks can make a salad. Good luck! I love the idea of making and freezing the meat ahead. You could even do a few kinds of meat ahead and warm them. Ground meat for you, and some shredded meat for others. I love Cafe Rio pork: http://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/cafe-rio-sweet-pork/

bw52
08-03-2016, 06:15 PM
I'd call it a taco/burrito bar so that vegetarians can make a burrito. Don't forget lettuce. Gluten-free folks can make a salad. Good luck! I love the idea of making and freezing the meat ahead. You could even do a few kinds of meat ahead and warm them. Ground meat for you, and some shredded meat for others. I love Cafe Rio pork: http://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/cafe-rio-sweet-pork/

That pork recipe is the best! You should try it even if you don't make it for a big group. We've used both beef and pork and it tastes good with either

amandabea
08-03-2016, 07:32 PM
That pork recipe is the best! You should try it even if you don't make it for a big group. We've used both beef and pork and it tastes good with either
Hmm, thinking about trying with chicken. If you've done it, would love to hear results.

DualvansMommy
08-03-2016, 07:34 PM
If you have instant pot, perhaps you could bring that with you so it can cook the meats and even the beans as well on top of meat in a steamer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boolady
08-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Brown the meat on stove, then dump meat, seasoning and minimal amount of water into crock pot. Simmer on low until ready to eat. In addition to what you listed, I would bring guacamole or avocado, shredded cheese, scallions, tortilla chips and rice. Then you leave the option for sort-of nachos and rice bowls open as well, if you want.

mackmama
08-03-2016, 08:53 PM
I'd do a few pans of chicken enchiladas. Easy and yummy! (Bake chicken, roll in tortillas with beans and rice and onions, lay in pan, top with cheese, then top with one can red sauce, one can green sauce, bake)

geochick
08-03-2016, 10:33 PM
Hmm, thinking about trying with chicken. If you've done it, would love to hear results.

Never tried it with chicken. It would probably work. It's sweet with a little bit of spice