PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco/ CA peeps - Ways to get to Muir Woods with a family?

WatchingThemGrow
08-04-2016, 10:44 PM
We are staying in SF for 3 nights and would like to get out to Muir Woods. I'm considering doing a bike rental and riding (all 5 of us - DC ages 10, 8, 7) across the Golden Gate. Looks like it's another 5 mile bike ride to the shuttle stop to Muir. Would this work or do we need to rent a car to drive to the shuttle stop or do some tour or what? Thanks for your help!!

Does this look like we can ride across the GGB and take the Marin Co. transit to Muir from where we lock up our bikes? http://www.marintransit.org/routes/66.html

AnnieW625
08-05-2016, 11:52 AM
I would hire an Uber or a Lyft driver or see if there is a San Francisco city bus that will take you to the shuttle stop. Cars are kind of a luxury and not really needed in San Francisco (although there are places in the city where having them are easier than others), but for a vacation I would probably just deal with public transportation or deal with Uber/Lyft. I have never done the Muir Woods trip so I am no help there, but I don't know if I would want to bike 20 miles round trip to see Muir Woods. You can definitely walk and ride across the Golden Gate.

WatchingThemGrow
08-05-2016, 12:04 PM
I would hire an Uber or a Lyft driver or see if there is a San Francisco city bus that will take you to the shuttle stop. Cars are kind of a luxury and not really needed in San Francisco (although there are places in the city where having them are easier than others), but for a vacation I would probably just deal with public transportation or deal with Uber/Lyft. I have never done the Muir Woods trip so I am no help there, but I don't know if I would want to bike 20 miles round trip to see Muir Woods. You can definitely walk and ride across the Golden Gate.
Thanks! I finally got to this conclusion and this seems like a viable alternative that will be less hassle and expense. :)

UberXL for our family of 5 will be about $38-42 to the Sausalito Ferry Terminal, then Marin Transit has a round trip shuttle from there for $7 for adults (not sure about kid fare). Because we have a 4th grader through August 29th, we get into the park free. We'll shuttle back and take the ferry back to Fisherman's Wharf, then maybe we'll rent bikes and ride around Golden Gate Park and part of the bridge.

In my reading I discovered it's a ride longer than the 7yo and I could probably handle :)

Thanks!!!

AnnieW625
08-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Thanks! I finally got to this conclusion and this seems like a viable alternative that will be less hassle and expense. :)

UberXL for our family of 5 will be about $38-42 to the Sausalito Ferry Terminal, then Marin Transit has a round trip shuttle from there for $7 for adults (not sure about kid fare). Because we have a 4th grader through August 29th, we get into the park free. We'll shuttle back and take the ferry back to Fisherman's Wharf, then maybe we'll rent bikes and ride around Golden Gate Park and part of the bridge.

In my reading I discovered it's a ride longer than the 7yo and I could probably handle :)

Thanks!!!

Golden Gate Park is not in the same part of the city as Fisherman's Wharf and iirc about 5 miles north of the Wharf and maybe about 3 miles north of the bridge, it could be further. You would have to bike over a large hill to get to Golden Gate Park. You and your DH could maybe do it, but I don't know if your kids could. I once walked from North Beach to Union Square, but I was in my 20s, but even as a pre teen it would've been a tough walk. You can walk around Fisherman's Wharf and there is a nice small park near Ghiradelli Square where you can hang out and walk around and there are paths near the water. If you are staying near Union Square then you can take the trolley from the little park near Ghiradelli Sqaure or if that one is too crowded you can walk a few blocks north to Hyde and Chestnut it is much less congested and easier to get on.

Globetrotter
08-05-2016, 11:13 PM
I would take an uber/lyft to the shuttle. Also keep in mind that sf is very hilly, so it may be best to restrict bike riding to golden gate park or other flatter areas.

One more thing- you may know this, but it's worth a reminder because I forgot to tell our last set of visitors and we all suffered the consequences. It gets COLD up in Muir Woods, all of Sf for that matter, even in August. Wear pants and layer well or you will end up with sf sweatshirts like half the tourists 😀

TwinFoxes
08-05-2016, 11:32 PM
We'll shuttle back and take the ferry back to Fisherman's Wharf, then maybe we'll rent bikes and ride around Golden Gate Park and part of the bridge.

Do you mean on the same day? Because those things aren't close. Golden Gate Park and Golden Gate Bridge are like five miles apart, and as you probably know, SF is a hilly city. You'll have to ride through the Presidio, which is pretty hilly go get from the bridge to GG Park. The wharf to the bridge is nice and flat, but it's still about a 20 minute ride. (Totally doable, and pleasant, but not if you're then planning on going to GG Park.) Of all of the rides you've mentioned, Fisherman's Wharf to the GG Bridge is the most practical.

One thing to consider, crossing the bridge is not for the faint of heart. It's windy, the cars are zipping past *right there* and you're crossing above the Golden Gate Strait. I worry the seven year old might be a little freaked out. (I've ridden across the bridge many times and I wasn't bothered, but I was an adult.) I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but SF isn't an especially bikeable town for kids/novices. Lots of traffic and hills make it harder than expected.

citymama
08-06-2016, 01:31 AM
If you have the time, I would do the GGBridge as a separate trip from Muir Woods and do Muir by car if possible. The drive to Marin is beautiful and there's so much around there's besides Muir Woods for a day trip, for eg, you could add Muir Beach and lunch at the Pelican Inn. Having lived in the city and Bay Area for years we've neither biked not walked across the Bridge - but we have driven many times on the way to Marin! I would not recommend attempting to bike near the highway to the shuttle.

Bike rentals in Golden Gate Park could be fun - there's a lot to see and bikes are a great way to get around if you're all in great shape. As TwinFoxes says, many parts of the city are incredibly challenging to bike.

Mommy_Mea
08-06-2016, 03:43 PM
We took a public transportation bus across the golden gate Bridge, and it ran all the way to Sausalito (we got off early and walked down to the Bay Area Discovery Museum), so that could be an option too.