PDA

View Full Version : Mattress experiences? Saatva?

Sopamanda
08-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Desperately seeking great mattress, preferably don't want to spend an arm and a leg to pay the middle man. We have a relative that works at slumberland and I think we can get 50% off there, but I hesitate to buy another meh mattress, I've a bad back.

I've read good things about Saatva, but there are so many good reviews I'm a little skeptical. Anyone tried them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daniele_ut
08-10-2016, 04:09 PM
My sister bought a Saatva mattress set about 3 years ago and she LOVES it. Says she will never go back. I hate the mattress set we bought a few years ago so I can't wait to replace it and I will seriously consider a Saatva.

twowhat?
08-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Following because I'm curious. I keep seeing ads for things like Purple mattress, Tuft and Needle, etc...all with the same basic premise (cutting out middle man, better materials...) and they all seem to have such great return/exchange terms that I'm tempted.

We've had 2 bad mattress sets purchased from furniture stores. Yes, they are name brand but they all have gotten body impressions even when we purchased the firmest mattress available and rotate regularly. I'm almost convinced that DH and I must be dense people because we are not big, at all. I really, REALLY don't want to spend thousands for another set that will just get body impressions in a few years:/ The natural latex mattresses intrigue me too but it's hard because there's no good way to try any of these in person AND you just don't know how they all will hold up long-term.

daniele_ut
08-10-2016, 04:16 PM
We had a Spring Air back supporter pillow top that I adored but it of course developed body impressions and we replaced it around year 8. We were told to avoid another pillow top to avoid the body impressions and here we are about 2 years later with body impressions. I compromised on comfort and won't do that again. The Purple Mattress home office is about a mile from my house and they have one set up for people to try so I'm planning to do that soon.

twowhat?
08-10-2016, 04:24 PM
We had a Spring Air back supporter pillow top that I adored but it of course developed body impressions and we replaced it around year 8. We were told to avoid another pillow top to avoid the body impressions and here we are about 2 years later with body impressions. I compromised on comfort and won't do that again. The Purple Mattress home office is about a mile from my house and they have one set up for people to try so I'm planning to do that soon.

Oooooh, please update and let me know what your impressions (no pun intended) are!!!

We had the EXACT same experience - first set was a pillowtop because it was so comfy. Then we were told to avoid a pillowtop because of the body impressions so ended up with the firmest mattress available. And here we are again with body impressions.

pastrygirl
08-10-2016, 06:44 PM
I love my Savvy Rest mattress. We've had it for around 7 years and there are no impressions. We have the Talaylay latex version.

123LuckyMom
08-10-2016, 06:55 PM
DH and I want to upgrade to a king. Our pillow top queen, which was a very expensive mattress, has a literal ridge down the middle. I won't buy another pillow top, but I'm scared of these foam mattresses! I have no experience with them. I'd love to hear more about what mattresses are making people happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

azzeps
08-10-2016, 08:45 PM
We have had an IKEA mattress for, ohhh, probably 6-7 years, I think. We wanted latex and at the time, I think it was the most expensive one they had. Not sure what they have now, but we have been happy with it. We got one for each of the kids' beds, too.

boss1
08-10-2016, 09:22 PM
I just ordered a Saatva luxury firm mattress yesterday. I decided to order one after reading the excellent reviews and the price is definitely reasonable. I will post a review once I receive it.

Desperately seeking great mattress, preferably don't want to spend an arm and a leg to pay the middle man. We have a relative that works at slumberland and I think we can get 50% off there, but I hesitate to buy another meh mattress, I've a bad back.

I've read good things about Saatva, but there are so many good reviews I'm a little skeptical. Anyone tried them?

Charlie
08-10-2016, 11:09 PM
Following because I'm curious. I keep seeing ads for things like Purple mattress, Tuft and Needle, etc...all with the same basic premise (cutting out middle man, better materials...) and they all seem to have such great return/exchange terms that I'm tempted.

We've had 2 bad mattress sets purchased from furniture stores. Yes, they are name brand but they all have gotten body impressions even when we purchased the firmest mattress available and rotate regularly. I'm almost convinced that DH and I must be dense people because we are not big, at all. I really, REALLY don't want to spend thousands for another set that will just get body impressions in a few years:/ The natural latex mattresses intrigue me too but it's hard because there's no good way to try any of these in person AND you just don't know how they all will hold up long-term.

We have a Tuft and Needle - actually 2, a king for DH and me and a full for DS2. We have had them for a little over a year and so far they are holding up great. I bought them because I was overwhelmed at mattress choices, but after some research I was intrigued and they were easily ordered through Amazon. The mattress was very hard at first and I wasn't sure if I liked it but it has softened up a bit and I do find it comfy now. Plus, you don't feel the whole bed move when your partner turns over like you do with traditional mattresses. It does take some getting used to however, if you are used to a traditional mattress. I do sometimes miss our pillow top that DS1 now has but I also don't regret the purchase (if that makes any sense).

essnce629
08-11-2016, 05:38 AM
If you're interested in all the bed-in-a-box options I found this site super helpful. I think we're going to be going with a Nest Alexander Signature mattress next. They actually have a store right down the street from me so I can go test it out. It's supposed to be great for side sleepers and those with back problems (me)! And there's three firmness levels vs one that most other bed-in-a-box mattresses have. I have a friend who has a Leesa and has been extremely happy as well.

http://sleepopolis.com/

kristac
08-11-2016, 09:16 AM
We got a Purple a few months ago. My husband loved it, it got rid of his back pain and he snored less. It relieved my back pain as well but caused me shoulder pain since I am a side sleeper and I would often wake up with one of my arms asleep. I asked for an extended trial (original trial is 100 nights they will extend it 30 days upon request) and tried different pillows, etc but nothing worked. We donated it to Salvation Army and within hours of sending them the receipt they had given me a full refund.
Now we are trying the Luxi. You can reconfigure each side to soft, medium, or firm. We've only had it for 2 nights so I am not sure yet how I feel. Currently, both sides are set in the medium configuration. I will probably try the soft as well to see which I prefer. Luxi has a 1000 night trial.

Sopamanda
08-12-2016, 07:11 AM
I just ordered a Saatva luxury firm mattress yesterday. I decided to order one after reading the excellent reviews and the price is definitely reasonable. I will post a review once I receive it.

Yes, please do!!

basilicali
10-08-2016, 12:47 AM
Any updates on the Saatva?

nfceagles
10-08-2016, 08:00 AM
Not the pp, but We just had a Saatva mattress delivered a couple weeks ago. It was fine and the mattress seems fine. I don't have a stronger opinion because I was fine with our prior mattress but DH wanted a new one. I just sleep on whatever he gets.

Hippoharbor
10-08-2016, 09:18 AM
We just bought two bed-in-a-box mattresses from leesa.com. We are completely happy with them. We bought based on review from an acquaintance and the online reviews are very favorable. Also bought when they were having a sale, so got queen for $815.

Love the 100-day money back guarantee, but we are keeping ours. One is in my 11 yr old son's room and the other in the guest room, where DH sleeps nightly.

boss1
10-09-2016, 05:51 PM
I just received the Saatva approximately two months ago. I ordered the luxury firm mattress and I absolutely love it! The ordering and delivery process was excellent. Te Saatva customer service representative helped me select the mattress that meets my specifications and the mattress was delivered within two weeks. The mattress is comfortable and excellent quality. The price is definitely reasonable. The overall process was superb - no regrets. I plan on ordering another mattress for my son soon. I highly recommend the Saatva mattress.

twowhat?
05-10-2017, 07:11 PM
Resurrecting this old thread - for any of you who have tried any of the bed-in-a-box options...Purple, Saavta, etc - can you update on how you're liking your mattress? We're still trying to figure out mattresses...

cilantromapuche
05-11-2017, 09:25 AM
I would love an update because we need a new one and keep procrastinating because I don't feel that I can trust reviews because they are all sponsored!

Charlie
05-11-2017, 09:42 AM
We have now had our Tuft & Needle for 2 years and they are still going strong. If this is one you're considering, I'm happy to answer any questions.

SnuggleBuggles
05-11-2017, 10:05 AM
Thanks for bumping this! I drove myself crazy researching a few months ago and ultimately didn't buy anything. We're replacing a no longer available Tempurpedic style otherwise I'd just buy it again.

chottumommy
05-11-2017, 11:22 AM
We don't have a Saatva or any of the bed in a box options but since this thread was about buying direct without middle men I wanted to add our experience. We bought a latex 7" king size from Sleepez and a 6" for the kids about 5-6 years back. They have held up really well, no sagging, pressure points and with the wool cover no mid-night sweating. They are great to work with - you can call and they help you select the right firmness. The cost is reasonable. We have a platform bed with no boxspring etc, just the mattress.

basilicali
05-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Ended up buying this Brentwood Home mattress from Costcoon sale for my daughter, then also for myself.
It was a little hard initially, but now it's perfect.
https://m.costco.com/Brentwood-Home-Coronado-Euro-Pillow-Top-King-Mattress.product.100278096.html

twowhat?
05-11-2017, 03:51 PM
We have now had our Tuft & Needle for 2 years and they are still going strong. If this is one you're considering, I'm happy to answer any questions.

We don't have a Saatva or any of the bed in a box options but since this thread was about buying direct without middle men I wanted to add our experience. We bought a latex 7" king size from Sleepez and a 6" for the kids about 5-6 years back. They have held up really well, no sagging, pressure points and with the wool cover no mid-night sweating. They are great to work with - you can call and they help you select the right firmness. The cost is reasonable. We have a platform bed with no boxspring etc, just the mattress.

Yes, these are both options we're considering. My biggest concern with SleepEZ is that there is no place to actually try the mattress. Though if their "try" period is good and hassle free, it's probably worth it. Also have considered Tuft & Needle...my understanding is that it's a more traditional mattress, right? EVERY mattress we have ever had since DH and I started dating has developed body impressions. We've had 3 or 4. All with body impressions now, even with regular rotating. It makes me wonder if we're dense people or something. I really, really, really just want a guarantee that body impressions won't show up! Or that if they do, the mattress will be replaced. None of this silly measuring and telling me that body impression is not more than 1 inch deep so it doesn't fall under the warranty...even a half inch body impression is noticeable and uncomfortable! We're also avoiding memory foam because it's SO HOT. And the memory foam topper that we have also developed body impressions!! I am tired of replacing a mattress every 3 years.

Charlie
05-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Yes, these are both options we're considering. My biggest concern with SleepEZ is that there is no place to actually try the mattress. Though if their "try" period is good and hassle free, it's probably worth it. Also have considered Tuft & Needle...my understanding is that it's a more traditional mattress, right? EVERY mattress we have ever had since DH and I started dating has developed body impressions. We've had 3 or 4. All with body impressions now, even with regular rotating. It makes me wonder if we're dense people or something. I really, really, really just want a guarantee that body impressions won't show up! Or that if they do, the mattress will be replaced. None of this silly measuring and telling me that body impression is not more than 1 inch deep so it doesn't fall under the warranty...even a half inch body impression is noticeable and uncomfortable! We're also avoiding memory foam because it's SO HOT. And the memory foam topper that we have also developed body impressions!! I am tired of replacing a mattress every 3 years.

The Tuft & Needle is foam, but not memory foam, and it's also not a traditional coil mattress. It is extremely heavy and dense, and it doesn't require a box spring. It is also hard, especially at first, but I got used to it and find it very comfortable. But, I honestly didn't love it right away, as it took my body a little while to adjust. I do think there is a break-in period if you are used to traditional mattresses. In the 2 years we have had it, I have never flipped it or turned it and there are no body impressions.

AnnieW625
05-11-2017, 11:53 PM
We have a Saatva like mattress (like the Saatva middle model.....it is the Diamond Mattress Generations Relief) we bought from a local mattress store and it is made by Diamond Mattress (which are made locally to us as well) and we have had it for just over 4 years and are very happy with it. Our bed doesn't have a moving frame though, but everything else is very similar. Our bed was $1100 if I remember correctly and came with a 90 day return policy (for store credit, which was fine with us and we didn't have to deal with shipping it back if we didn't like it.....DH thought it would be too firm, but he has grown to really like it). We do rotate ours, but it can't be flipped.

When we were looking for mattresses in 2012 with the exception of a $5000 or so latex mattress that a local custom mattress store sold I couldn't get comfortable on any all latex mattress. DH did like the basic medium Tempurpedic, but I would've wanted the firm one so we ended up with the hybrid latex/memory foam/spring mattress. We didn't end up going to Sleep Ez (it is 5 to 6 hour drive to Phoenix and if I was desperate I would've done a weekend trip) or Savvy Rest (and truthfully Savvy Rest was more than double what we wanted to spend), but are happy with our mattress.

jennilynn
05-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Bought an Avocado recently and so far so good. It's a little firm for me (side sleeper) but I'm getting used to it. Loved the whole experience of buying it though and especially the two free pillows, which are heavenly. It's latex but with innersprings and no chemical flame retardants which was a must for me.

Sopamanda
07-21-2017, 05:42 PM
Bumping. Revisiting this. Of those of you that have awesome mattresses, how many of you were able to bypass the frame and box spring?
Obviously it's cheapest to just purchase one mattress and I prefer the platform bed look anyway.
Any thoughts? Glad so many are getting traction out of this.

chottumommy
07-21-2017, 06:08 PM
I have never had a box spring ever and still don't. I don't like having a high bed and also the hassle of then covering the boxspring. I do have a platform bed and have a 1/4th inch plywood on the slats to reduce uneven pressure points on the mattress. No complaints and our latex mattress is going strong after 8 years.

Corie
07-22-2017, 10:36 PM
We just bought our son a queen-size Casper bed. He's only had it for about a month but he loves it!!

mommytotwo
07-24-2017, 11:15 PM
We have a sleep number bed (the special edition offered only during certain holidays when they put it on sale). We have had it for two years and still love it. It is installed right on our bed frame with out a separate boxspring or platform.

kristac
07-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Almost a year now for our Luxi and still very happy with it.

rachl500
07-25-2017, 08:30 PM
I wanted to love the saatva but it wasn't for us. It was pretty firm and did not feel like a luxury mattress to me at all. We might have kept it but it also had a ridge in the middle so we returned it. Customer service was very easy to work with. We got a hybrid coil/foam from a national store. We like it better but still not as much as our last mattress.

bisous
07-25-2017, 09:06 PM
On my trip to Vancouver I slept on an amazingly comfortable bed and I AM PICKY! I was surprised to discover that the mattress was from IKEA. It was an IKEA SULTAN HAMNVIK.

Sopamanda
07-27-2017, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the replies!

candaceb
03-11-2018, 01:25 PM
any more updates to this thread? We are in mattress shopping hell. We were all set to buy the Serta Worley Super Pillow Top Firm and then I started googling... and people say these mattresses don't last.
Now I'm looking at saatva, which is supposed to be similar to this. We know we don't want an all-foam like Tuft & Needle.
So people who have had Saatva for a couple of years, what do you think?

nfceagles
03-11-2018, 03:07 PM
We got one a couple years ago and have been happy with it. I’m not that picky and was fine with our old one too, but DH thought his back would benefit from a new mattress. He like it a lot.

smilequeen
03-11-2018, 04:52 PM
We bought Saatva matresses for our guest bedroom and our youngest son's room when we moved into our new house...so 2 years ago. We tested out the guest bed a few times since it's also a king and we liked it, so we got one for our room. I do tend to like things softer than DH does so we put a memory foam topper on ours and both of us love it.

jse107
03-12-2018, 09:20 AM
We also have Sleep Number and we adore it. It was a little more upfront, but it's never going to get saggy and we can adjust as needed. It's been excellent for the 3.5 years we've had it.

calebsmama03
03-13-2018, 10:42 PM
I love my Savvy Rest mattress. We've had it for around 7 years and there are no impressions. We have the Talaylay latex version.

This is what I want - though not sure the Savvy brand is in the budget, but Talalay latex of some sort. Tried one and loved it.

marymoo86
03-14-2018, 10:05 AM
We will be in the market soon as well!

Has anyone tried the Mint by Tuft and Needle? Happy with the regular mattress we got for our 4yo and appreciate the greenguard gold certified status.