PDA

View Full Version : Help! In mosquito hell

twotimesblue
08-10-2016, 12:39 AM
We live in SoCal and for all the years I've lived here, I've never been bothered by mosquitos. This year, for some reason, we are inundated with them... and they are aggressive little ba&$#rds. 6-year-old DS1 is getting bitten every night (he's never had a single mosquito bite, even on tropical vacations, before this summer), I'm getting eaten alive, and worst of all, they are feasting on my newborn DD. She had 3 bites on her face this morning :mad:

We've tried all the 'usual' things. Keeping all doors closed (as much as possible - the kids sometimes forget when they run into the yard), we have insect screens on all windows, we don't go outside around dawn or dusk etc etc but these mozzies are daytime biters - my ped says those ones are the ones that can carry West Nile virus and Zika! I'm at my wits' end.

DD is kept covered up all day long (which is miserable, as it's 90 degrees here right now) but they still find an inch of flesh to bite (like her face!) We have no standing water anywhere (the local vector control office came out and confirmed that he couldn't see any obvious sources). DH has sprayed our yard with a 'barrier' spray. We've bought an electric zapper that's supposed to be good for 1/2 acre (our grounds are much smaller than this). Still, we're getting bitten. DD is too young to use any kind of repellent, even the supposedly 'natural' ones, and as I'm nursing I'm reluctant to use anything that could get into my bloodstream and milk.

What do you wise mamas who live in mosquito-beloved areas of the country do? This issue is seriously ruining our summer.

mikala
08-10-2016, 02:47 AM
I don't have any advice but you have my sympathies! I'm in a different area of the country and this year is crazy for us too. We've had a wet summer and the mosquito population is insane and they don't seem deterred by repellant. My infant seems to get at least one fresh bite every car ride.

TwinFoxes
08-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Big fans. Sounds cartoonish, but it works.

1mom2dylan
08-10-2016, 08:02 AM
Agree, fans everywhere.

Meatball Mommie
08-10-2016, 08:11 AM
I agree with the fans - we live in a spot with a nice breeze all of the time courtesy of the ocean and we don't have mosquitos at all. Go inland a bit and they're awful.

Dayzy
08-10-2016, 09:20 AM
The best thing I've found is a PartyLites product. It's these huge citronella incense sticks. I light one when we are outside and it keeps all the bugs away from us and the house. For the inside we keep the fans going.

bisous
08-10-2016, 10:18 AM
Just some commiseration here. I'm also in Southern California and I'm seeing more mosquitoes too. I think I have a mosquito bite on my face right now! I never get bit. It is very annoying! I hope these suggestions work for you!

gatorsmom
08-10-2016, 11:23 AM
I agree with the breeze. And Ive noticed they don't like smoke. When we have a campfire going, the mosquitoes go away. Maybe it's time to build a fire pit in the backyard?

BunnyBee
08-10-2016, 12:33 PM
Our pest control service sprays. It helps a bunch.

AnnieW625
08-10-2016, 12:57 PM
When I am in mosquito country (Sacramento is way worse than SoCal) I swear by Off Deep Woods or Cutter's high deet spray. I know people around me have gotten a lot of bites, but I guess my area hasn't been affected this year as much. Yes the sprays stink but they work and it sure beats having to wear long sleeve clothes all summer long.

I know people who love the Avon Skin So Soft spray with picardin, but that stuff makes me stink and I feel gross everytime I even attempt to try it. I deal with the deet because it does work.

We have bought the Off brand citronella candles and they do work well.

We just started pest spraying this past May and so far so good, but mosquitoes weren't a huge issue before either.

doberbrat
08-10-2016, 01:46 PM
I have a good friend who lives in the 'country' and has one of those collecter machines that works well.

Dont laugh, but this is what I use https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Purely-Cloud-Nine-Herbal-2-Ounce/dp/B001F0R8DQ/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1470850770&sr=8-1&keywords=halo+purely+for+pets+flea+dip

It should only cost about $10/bottle, but it works very very well. I've been using it for nearly 20yrs? Included are instructions to make it into a spray rather than a flea dip. Its something like 1/4 - 1/2 tsp for 8oz water in a spray bottle. One bottle lasts me a year with the kids & dogs. If you dont want to spray your newborn (which btw, I used this on my kids from infants up) you could spray her clothes.

DD2 & I also eat a ton of raw garlic and acv which helps, imo.

has the county inspected your neighbors' yards etc? spray any storm drains? I'd complain while zika is on everyone's minds... it only takes 1 person to be bitten in an infected area and bring it back to your area and be bitten and spread it to your area.

Kestrel
08-10-2016, 10:54 PM
For your youngest, can you put mosquito netting over her crib/pack & play, ect? Sounds like you'd like to go chemical-free with the baby, and it's cheap, too.

TwinFoxes
08-10-2016, 11:04 PM
For your youngest, can you put mosquito netting over her crib/pack & play, ect? Sounds like you'd like to go chemical-free with the baby, and it's cheap, too.

Great idea.