PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid surgery for a knee injury?

mackmama
08-10-2016, 11:01 AM
What type of doctor would I see? I injured my knee (getting MRI results today) and do not want surgery. I've already had many knee surgeries and don't believe any of them have been life-changing. Granted this time I have an acute injury so we will see. Either way what type of doctor would I see who isn't knife-happy? An ortho ordered my MRI, but I know he will suggest surgery either way. Thanks.

chlobo
08-10-2016, 11:47 AM
what did you do to it?

klwa
08-10-2016, 11:54 AM
Is your ortho part of a sports med facility? If not, maybe see about getting in with someone who is affiliated with a sports med facility. But, in my (admittedly limited) experience, orthos generally aren't surgery happy unless they feel that there's a real need. So, maybe just try a different ortho office.

hillview
08-10-2016, 01:03 PM
I'd go see a physical therapist for a while and see what improvements you can get that way.

almostmom
08-10-2016, 01:21 PM
I have had many knee surgeries myself. I would suggest making sure you are seeing a very good doctor. Only one of my knee surgeries basically didn't work - the others were incredibly helpful. One was a clean-up job from the one that didn't work!

It is true that numerous arthroscopic surgeries to remove meniscus tears (I've had 3 of those) will lead to arthritis down the road. At 42, I've been told I have it in one of my knees, but not the other. But some injuries really are best treated with surgery, so it really depends on what you did.

Hopefully your insurance allows you to consult multiple docs so you can be sure you're doing the right thing. I would consider what you want to be able to do, and that can help you determine whether or not surgery will be the right path.

I get it - surgery and recovery sucks. But so does being in pain for years and years!

ShanaMama
08-10-2016, 11:34 PM
Is your ortho part of a sports med facility? If not, maybe see about getting in with someone who is affiliated with a sports med facility. But, in my (admittedly limited) experience, orthos generally aren't surgery happy unless they feel that there's a real need. So, maybe just try a different ortho office.
I'm not sure I agree that orthos aren't surgery happy. I had unexplained knee pain with no injury. An ortho offered to "open it and up poke around just to see what might be going on".
I ran out of there so fast!
I think sports medicine is a good suggestion. I had great success with PT by a company called Sportscare. I think they are a franchise and have many branches. The quality of their therapy was light years above the other places I tried.

mackmama
08-11-2016, 12:45 AM
Good news surgery isn't needed. Got MRI results. Headed to PT. fwiw I totally believe most orthos are eager to cut. Said from someone who has had many knee surgeries and seen many many orthos.

R2sweetboys
08-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Glad to hear no surgrey is needed! I just wanted to comment that many knee injuries simply will not heal without surgery. I tore my ACL many years ago and had reconstructive surgery for it. While I could have functioned without the surgery, it would never be stable and I would have risked injury to the other ligaments in the future. So any torn ligament(complete tear) will likely result in a surgery recommendation, especially in someone who is at all active. A ligament is like a rubber band-once it's severed it can not repair itself without surgical intervention. What was your injury? I hope it heals quickly!

hellokitty
08-13-2016, 09:27 AM
I went avoided it. My knee was bad off and he wanted to get in their to investigate bc he said the mri was inconclusive. I told him I'd try to cortisone shot, which helped to decrease swelling and then I did some exercises at home and literally avoided standing or walking for a yr... just tried to stay off of my feet. This was 3 yrs ago. My knee has been ok since then, but I can sense when I've tweaked it and I take it easy when I do. I walk and do the elliptical for exercise. I will never run again it screwed up my knee so badly. I'm just finally getting some tone back to my knees.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk