PDA

View Full Version : What a difference the local news makes?

bisous
08-11-2016, 03:23 AM
Our family doesn't have cable but is watching NBC through Sling on our Roku. Wow. Every night after the Olympics the local news comes on and all of a sudden my community feels so much scarier! So many creepy incidents and thefts and attempted kidnappings and yuck. I kind of feel like ignorance is bliss. I don't look at my neighborhood the same way after watching several nights of local news!

Do you watch the local news?

essnce629
08-11-2016, 04:33 AM
Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing after watching the local news after the Olympics! And yikes to the 2 attempted kidnappings today!!! Crazy!

So no, I don't usually watch the local news!

KrisM
08-11-2016, 07:38 AM
Our local is either Flint or Detroit and we are about 45-60 min from either. I rarely watch either and if I do, it's in the morning or at noon, not at 11pm. But, I do get our local newspaper that comes out weekly. It covers the actual local news for my town. And I do browse the top stories in the Detroit newspapers a couple days a week.

hillview
08-11-2016, 08:13 AM
No we don't watch the local news. It's very sensationalistic

TwinFoxes
08-11-2016, 08:22 AM

Same here. Although the local morning news show is quite good, so I watch that. I get my news from other sources.

Local news thinks violence is the way to higher ratings (they're probably right). I bet they're even more sensationalistic trying to "impress" the Olympic viewers like the OP who are tuning in for the first time.

anonomom
08-11-2016, 08:49 AM
I don't watch any television news. I read the newspaper online instead.

specialp
08-11-2016, 08:57 AM
No, I read the newspaper online. I have a friend who is a local reporter and I will watch the clips she posts, but it is normally something she is particularly proud of and well worth the watch.

Momit
08-11-2016, 09:01 AM
We only watch when my parents are visiting. They are in the habit of watching, we are definitely not.

vonfirmath
08-11-2016, 11:03 AM

Even the weather is becoming sensationalistic

DualvansMommy
08-11-2016, 11:22 AM
We only watch when my parents are visiting. They are in the habit of watching, we are definitely not.

Us too, my mum is overseas so she's always watching prime and local news whenever staying with us. I never bother and usually tell mum it's far too sensationalistic for my tastes. I read my township local newspaper and browse online in my phone or iPad whenever I'm just browsing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629
08-11-2016, 03:41 PM

Yes, my mom always watches it when she's here visiting!

123LuckyMom
08-12-2016, 12:30 PM
I believe television news is directly to blame for the downfall of this country (and I'm only partially kidding.) ;)

I never watch news unless they're airing a press conference or something where I'm listening only to the actual words of the person speaking. I do listen to NPR and the BBC on the radio, but mostly I read several newspapers online.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

zukeypur
08-12-2016, 12:50 PM
I watch national news primarily, but we do watch the local weather. However, our local station has a video forecast on their app. That is my favorite way to watch the weather.

JElaineB
08-12-2016, 02:57 PM
I do watch the local news, but I live in Iowa so there isn't too much here that is that bad. I was just at my parents' house in Massachusetts for two weeks and the news there is indeed much scarier and negative, so I probably wouldn't watch on a regular basis if I still lived there.

Tenasparkl
08-12-2016, 03:05 PM
Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing after watching the local news after the Olympics! And yikes to the 2 attempted kidnappings today!!! Crazy!

So no, I don't usually watch the local news!

Did you guys see that they caught her? That story was crazy!

I hate the local news too. I do like having a local facebook group that always seems to know what's going on in our community, but sometimes I think we're better off not knowing every little thing.

AnnieW625
08-12-2016, 03:06 PM
I will be the outlier. I find the local new easier to watch than the national news especially if the kids are walking in and out, but most of the time we don't watch much news during the day because DD1 doesn't like it. She just started tolerating the weather and sports reports in the past year, and that was mainly because she got used to watching NHL tonight the last couple of seasons because she started liking hockey. I was a journalism major in college and the news has always fascinated me, even as a young child.

keh602
08-12-2016, 03:35 PM
DH and I have been watching the news occasionally following the Olympics, and it really just depends on the day. One night last week I wondered aloud if *anything* good had happened that day, because it sure didn't sound like it. Last night wasn't so bad though. Some of the stories were downright silly, I thought. I still don't want my kids watching though.