PDA

View Full Version : How can I keep DS safe while I get things done?

trcy
08-12-2016, 10:42 AM
DS hasn't quite mastered crawling, still can't lift up his belly, but gets around well enough. And he is into everything! I know it will get worse as he perfects his crawl. So while he is awake, I can't get anything done unless he is contained in his crib. Obviously I am not going to keep him in there all day. I thought about getting one of those pens, like this:
http://m.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=16055016&cp=2255957.2273443.2255983.3225353&parentPage=family
DH's first reaction was "Oh, like a dog crate?" I think he was half joking , but is there a better option? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

candaceb
08-12-2016, 11:01 AM
We had one of those (Superyard brand) from the time that DS could crawl around 8 months until he was about 2 and could climb over the top of it. There was no way I could have gotten anything done without it. His middle name was Trouble. We even took it on vacation with us. I got a deal on it and resold it for almost as much as I paid for it within hours of listing it, so it worked out well for us. We kept a couple of favorite toys in there that never came out so he was mostly happy to be in there as needed.

georgiegirl
08-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Babywearing! Or just babyproof everything since it's only going to get worse. I also put baby in the exersaucer while I did housework.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BunnyBee
08-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Well, my crazy child could scale the Superyard before 15 mos, so I just didn't get anything done while she was awake. For my other kids, I pretty much did things in the room with them. Our old house had a family room whose doorway we blocked with a Superyard. The whole room was fairly baby-proofed and where we spent most time. Exersaucer or high chair right next to me for when I needed to turn my back on them (loading dishwasher, cooking).

SnuggleBuggles
08-12-2016, 11:39 AM
Baby proofed the family room hard core and gated it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABO Mama
08-12-2016, 12:19 PM

Yup, that's what we did. With twins :) DC#3 was worn most of the time.

wildfire
08-12-2016, 01:42 PM
My younger daughter could climb our baby gates/play gates at about a year old, before she could even stand. She would also climb the play kitchen. Her upper body strength was phenomenal. I primarily used babywearing (she loooooved it) and the excersaucer.

baymom
08-12-2016, 04:14 PM
We had gates at the stairs. Otherwise, I used the exersauser a lot and wore the kids, a lot, as well. It's a tricky age!

trcy
08-12-2016, 04:32 PM
OP here, thanks for all of the suggestions. Unfortunately due to the layout of our house I can't gate off any rooms other than bedrooms. The bedrooms are set away from the rest of the house, so I wouldn't really be able to see him in any if the bedrooms. Other than sitting on the floor with him, I have been using the carrier, highchair & exersauser. He has some mild gross motor delays and I am worried that not enough floor time has contributed to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

legaleagle
08-12-2016, 05:29 PM
Super yard sounds good, just have lots of toys for him to play with. We got a large pack&play (joovy room2) instead since we didn't have one and that works well too - need something to keep him away from siblings Legos - he's 9 months and just started crawling for real

gatorsmom
08-12-2016, 06:09 PM
We had one of those (Superyard brand) from the time that DS could crawl around 8 months until he was about 2 and could climb over the top of it. There was no way I could have gotten anything done without it. His middle name was Trouble. We even took it on vacation with us. I got a deal on it and resold it for almost as much as I paid for it within hours of listing it, so it worked out well for us. We kept a couple of favorite toys in there that never came out so he was mostly happy to be in there as needed.

I had a Superyard too and loved it! I actually bought extra pieces for it to make it bigger. My twins were crawling at the time when my 5yo and 3yo were playing with Legos and had them all over the house. I kept the Superyard in my living room for something like 9 months and that's where the twins would spend their day. I'm fairly certain that Superyard saved their lives!

NCGrandma
08-12-2016, 06:56 PM
I got a super yard when energetic DGD2 was at that stage. It isn't useful for as long as some other baby proofing items (especially good gates) but it was definitely worthwhile.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

essnce629
08-12-2016, 08:46 PM

Yep, us too.

Gated it off, all furniture and tv bolted down, got rid of the coffee table, all outlets covered, power strip covers, tv cabinet doors latched, etc.

All our rooms were baby proofed like this actually so I could be in any room with him and not worry. Never had a super yard or playpen.

essnce629
08-12-2016, 08:50 PM
OP here, thanks for all of the suggestions. Unfortunately due to the layout of our house I can't gate off any rooms other than bedrooms.

Are you sure? They make super wide gates for open layout houses:

http://amazon.com/Regalo-192-Inch-Super-Wide-White/dp/B003VNKLIY/

DualvansMommy
08-12-2016, 08:50 PM
At that age from 9 months old till 21 months, DS2 crawled. I gated the living room off and child proofed the outlets, removed lamp shade and buffet armoire. In it was just the love seat, couch, armchair and train table alongside tv that was bolted to the wall high up. Perhaps do that in one of the main biggest room?

mom_hanna
08-12-2016, 09:30 PM
I would totally get one of those play yards if I were you. It will give you a chance to get things done and he can play with his toys inside.

specialp
08-12-2016, 10:29 PM
I had a Superyard too and loved it! I actually bought extra pieces for it to make it bigger.

I cannot remember the brand, but we also bought extra pieces. It was huge and wrapped around a small love seat so the baby could still pull up on that and have a play area in front.

Kindra178
08-12-2016, 11:03 PM
Why not a pack n play? There are big ones too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

MamaMolly
08-13-2016, 11:55 AM

Yep, The entire first floor of our townhouse.