PDA

View Full Version : How to teach spelling

lmr1101
08-12-2016, 04:45 PM
We had our curriculum night last night and dd1's teacher mentioned she is not going to focus on spelling in the classroom... this is something we need to do at home.
Anyone have ideas on how to teach dd to spell. She is reading well above grade level and her comprehension tests come back high.... she just spells everything phonetically and ignores all spelling rules.
I'm not sure how to teach her without tests being done in class to support our home work.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Baby Bargains mobile app

cheme
08-12-2016, 05:44 PM
Our school uses dictation to teach spelling and it would be easy to do at home. Just pick out a couple paragraphs (ours is usually non-fiction, but it doesn't have to be) and read them to her, having her write it down as a pre-test. Then you can review spelling rules she got wrong throughout the week - not just teaching the word that was incorrect, but the rule as well. Then you can do a post test of the same passage at the end of the week. It is also a good way to teach punctuation.

georgiegirl
08-12-2016, 06:23 PM
Our school uses words their way to teach spelling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PZMommy
08-12-2016, 06:30 PM
There has been a lot of research pointing to weekly spelling tests not being very beneficial to students. We still focus on a spelling pattern per week and words that fit that pattern and work with those words during the week, but do not have a weekly spelling test on Friday.

abh5e8
08-12-2016, 06:35 PM
Are you wanting a homeschool spelling curriculum?

csnoop
08-12-2016, 06:37 PM
There has been a lot of research pointing to weekly spelling tests not being very beneficial to students. We still focus on a spelling pattern per week and words that fit that pattern and work with those words during the week, but do not have a weekly spelling test on Friday.

My kids' teachers do not do spelling tests either. They are in a language immersion program so it may be different. They are required to know the phonetic sounds. I have asked my friend which teaches elementary school. She also said that some kids are just naturally better spellers than others. No real benefit to doing weekly spelling test.

CC

lmr1101
08-12-2016, 07:38 PM
I would happily avoid weekly spelling tests! She was exposed to spelling rules and patterns in pre-k, but that has been it. I feel like there is a big gap that needs to be filled.

PZMommy
08-12-2016, 09:10 PM
I would happily avoid weekly spelling tests! She was exposed to spelling rules and patterns in pre-k, but that has been it. I feel like there is a big gap that needs to be filled.

What grade is your DD going in? From your siggy I'm guessing either kinder or first?? In kindergarten we did not focus on any kind of spelling, just the basic sounds and trying to write based on the sounds you hear. That is developmentally appropriate for kinder, as we really just want them to connect that every letter has a sound, and words are made up of different sounds. . In first grade we taught spelling rules and patterns, but no tests. That is where we really focused on the different vowel sounds and long vowel spelling patterns etc.

Pear
08-12-2016, 09:22 PM
It depends on the child. We tried having her write the words, but she hated it. Instead we do it orally. Sometimes I give her challenges like jump up and down while she spells. I also squeeze in spelling practice on car rides.

lmr1101
08-12-2016, 10:23 PM
What grade is your DD going in? From your siggy I'm guessing either kinder or first??
In first grade we taught spelling rules and patterns, but no tests. That is where we really focused on the different vowel sounds and long vowel spelling patterns etc.

Dd just started 2nd this week. She is in a self-contained gifted class that works 2 grade levels ahead. She gets the higher level concepts, but skips over the basics [emoji848]. That's why the teacher isn't touching on spelling, the kids are expected to know it already.
What you described above with the rules, patterns is what they did in the gifted pre-k class.
It's frustrating since in some ways she really is operating at a 4th grade level, but then I find the easier true grade level items that she hasn't mastered yet.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

PZMommy
08-12-2016, 10:56 PM
Dd just started 2nd this week. She is in a self-contained gifted class that works 2 grade levels ahead. She gets the higher level concepts, but skips over the basics [emoji848]. That's why the teacher isn't touching on spelling, the kids are expected to know it already.
What you described above with the rules, patterns is what they did in the gifted pre-k class.
It's frustrating since in some ways she really is operating at a 4th grade level, but then I find the easier true grade level items that she hasn't mastered yet.

I understand better now. That does seem like a problem, as they do need a foundation. Is there any way you can ask at her school and get her a language arts workbook from a lower grade level, and just work on the spelling concepts?? I know in my district 1st grade is where they spend the most time on spelling rules, but they also work on it in second grade. In grades after that we touch on the different rules, but it is more of a review or using those rules in bigger words.

lmr1101
08-13-2016, 12:05 AM
Is there any way you can ask at her school and get her a language arts workbook from a lower grade level, and just work on the spelling concepts?? I know in my district 1st grade is where they spend the most time on spelling rules, but they also work on it in second grade. In grades after that we touch on the different rules, but it is more of a review or using those rules in bigger words.

This is a great idea, I may call on Monday to see if this is an option.

squimp
08-13-2016, 12:19 AM
Keep reading. The fact that she loves to read is great and is a huge boon to spelling. Talk about spelling in the car, as she reads, as she learns new words. I think you can build a love of spelling or at least boost spelling skills without spelling tests.

My DD is a spelling champ and I really think it is something that just comes naturally to some people.

kristac
08-13-2016, 08:48 AM
Following as well. DS's school used Words Their Way from 1st to 3rd. Now he is starting 4th and his spelling is abysmal. At our parent-teacher conference, I was told they stop focusing on spelling in 4th- either the kids have learned by then or they are not going to learn (using the current method). She said she would work with him on it and suggested we get a pocket dictionary that he can refer to whenever he needs to. I'm hunting for some way to help at home as well. I did find a typing program that also teaches spelling I may invest in that since I'd like to see him learn some keyboarding skills as well.
http://www.readandspell.com/us

ExcitedMamma
08-13-2016, 11:09 AM
Check out All About Spelling. It would be super easy for you to use with her after school. There are very short lessons followed by dictation. For DS I use it as spelling, handwriting and to help him work on retaining information (like keeping a sentence in his head instead of getting stuck on just a word he is spelling). I usually break up the lesson and have him spell out the words, the next day phrases and then sentences. I make note of any words he misses to go over later until he knows them. It clearly explains rules that I was never taught (like when c says /s/ like in city). It's just a workbook, they sell little tiles to use with it but you don't need those or the flash cards they also sell. The workbook is the teachers guide so you would just follow the prompts.

KrisM
08-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Our school switched to Words Their Way a few years ago and it's awful. DS1 was before that and is a great speller. He had lists. We worked on them. DD1 and DS2 have just had this WTW program and neither are very good at spelling at all. Not impressed with the program what-so-ever! So we do lists at home.