PDA

View Full Version : Kindergarten homework/expectations?

DualvansMommy
08-12-2016, 08:53 PM
I know it really varies from district to district, even school to school within the same district.

I have a rising kindergarten and his school is quite big on reading. So I'm pretty sure reading will be part of his daily life aftershock, but I'm really hoping this is just it.

How much did yours get at that age? And what type of hw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
08-12-2016, 09:02 PM
This past year, DD got an occasional math packet and a weekly read-aloud short book. Once in a blue moon, her teacher would send handwriting practice, but not often.

When we pulled her from the opposite-half-of-day program (our district did not have full-day kindy last year; full-day kindy starts this year) the read-aloud short book was no longer required.

This does not count her twice-weekly speech therapy practice.

I have to say that I was very happy not to have to deal with daily homework in Kindy. I still, 33 years later, recall how much I struggled, fought, and cried over mine when I was in kindergarten. (I've forgiven my teacher for it, but still resent my mother's manner of handling it.)

ETA: My nephew, who was in full-day kindy in a different district, had daily worksheets, handwriting practice, reading, and other tasks, up to and including crafts for 100th Day. My sister went along with it, but it would have driven me out of my mind.

PZMommy
08-12-2016, 09:03 PM
Our kindergarten homework required twenty minutes of nightly reading, plus a weekly packet. The weekly packet was about two pages per night, maybe 10-15 minutes. I know some districts do not give any homework, and others give more, so I think it will really depend on the individual school.

SnuggleBuggles
No homework in k or 1. In 2 there was very minimal homework. Our school just doesn't prioritize homework Ds1 had no homework in k or 1 either but maybe 15 min/ night in 2nd grade. As there's no penalty for not doing assignments, we still don't always do it since ds2's in great shape academically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squimp
Our expectations changed over the year. At first it was something like read for 10 (20?) minutes with your child every night. After Christmas there were word lists to learn or sentences to write over the course of the week, but it built up slowly. We had a very academic kindergarten teacher but she wasn't big on tons of homework.

BDKmom
08-12-2016, 09:05 PM
For my DS last year, he got a homework folder on Monday that was to be turned in the next Monday. He was to read for 15 minutes every day. He had sight words to practice each week until he knew them all, and I had to sign off when he was ready to be tested. He usually had a math worksheet and either a writing assignment or a reading comprehension worksheet. And a question would be posted online on his class page for everyone to answer.

Overall, I thought it wasn't bad. It took maybe 10-15 minutes per day in addition to the reading. He got a bag of books each week at his reading level.

Pear
08-12-2016, 09:06 PM
Oops double post

Pear
08-12-2016, 09:07 PM
In addition to the 20 minutes of reading, they had one worksheet and sight word practice for the Friday test. Towards the end of the year that became a spelling test instead

smilequeen
08-12-2016, 09:08 PM
Reading only for our school until 2nd grade. It's a very homework light private school though. They work hard enough at school.

IansMom
08-12-2016, 09:49 PM
I guess our school is light on homework (which I appreciate). In kindergarten, DS had an optional one page front and back worksheet that was divided into four sections (Monday-Thursday). If it was completed, he could chose something out the treasure chest. DS would complete the entire thing in about 10 minutes. In first grade, DS had 10-12 spelling words. The homework alternated between writing each word three times or writing each word in a sentence. He also had a fluency sheet that I had to find him on at least five nights. A math sheet came home sporadically--maybe once a month. There was an optional journal to record books and they were rewarded if they competed it.

okinawama
08-12-2016, 11:39 PM
I thought DS1 had more homework than I thought he would. We had 20 spelling words to study for a spelling test every Friday . We also had a read aloud book that went home nightly, and we were supposed to read every night ( I say supposed to because we only did spelling as that took up a ton of time, and I wanted DS to go outside and play.

ett
08-12-2016, 11:56 PM
No homework here in K.

AnnieW625
08-13-2016, 02:53 AM
Our kindergarten homework required twenty minutes of nightly reading, plus a weekly packet. The weekly packet was about two pages per night, maybe 10-15 minutes. I know some districts do not give any homework, and others give more, so I think it will really depend on the individual school.

This was about the same at DDs Catholic school when DD1 was in kinder (2011-2012) and this past year for DD2. With DD2 they did way more workbook work in class (and was often sent home with DD2 to complete), which was unfortunate IMHO. Dd2 often did take more than 15 minutes to do her homework but that is because she is easily distracted with just about every task. I know this will sound awful to some, but I am really hoping our pediatrician recommends having her tested for inattentive ADD or ADHD (whatever the correct term is) because I think she is a little slow getting stuff done even for a just 6 yr. old; something is just off with her ability to get stuff done.

Mommy_Mea
08-13-2016, 06:16 AM
They ask that you do 20 minutes of reading, but there is no check for it. No other homework.

ray7694
08-13-2016, 08:51 AM
A typical policy for schools in our area is no more than 10 minutes a night per grade level starting with 1st. I don't consider reading for enjoyment homework but anything else assigned.

94bruin
08-13-2016, 11:40 AM
Our public school doesn't have homework until 2nd grade. They just asked the kids to do nightly reading in Kinder and first grades (but no check for it either.)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Baby Bargains mobile app

Snow mom
08-13-2016, 11:52 AM
We had no homework in K. I think there were two at home things during the year--put together a bag of items that says something about your child and something else I can't remember.

Pinky
08-13-2016, 11:56 AM
Our school just focused on reading during kindergarten... if they wanted to clip up the next day they could do some sort of homework sheet to take in the next day but it wasn't required.

wellyes
08-13-2016, 10:09 PM
No homework in k.

Daily reading by or to the child was encouraged.