PDA

View Full Version : Archery

JElaineB
08-13-2016, 03:18 PM
Not at the Olympics...DS (age 13) has expressed interest after trying it at camp this summer. We have a large yard (2 acres) so have plenty of room for practice at home. Any ideas on the best way to get started, equipment, etc.?

mmsmom
08-13-2016, 04:08 PM
We got a bow and arrows at Cabelas. They measure DC and make recommendations. I believe the bow was around $40. You can get paper targets on Amazon or at Cabelas. We attach the targets to 2 bales of hay stacked up on our yard. The hay needs to be replaced over time. We do have an archery place close by for lessons but DC have enjoyed just doing it on their own.

mommy111
08-13-2016, 04:16 PM
I would strongly recommend taking her to an archery club close to home so that she can try out the equipment and you can figure out size. Lots of online resources to order but what you get depends on how much weight she can carry as well as what her arm span is

JElaineB
08-13-2016, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like our local archery club just gets together for a few shoots a year, but they are sponsored by a local sporting goods store that has an indoor archery range and the website says they have archery experts on staff. So I think we will go there and see if they can get us started. Haybales with targets would work great in our yard. The archery club outdoor range is I think where DS's camp did their archery, as it is open to the public most of the time, and at the same recreation area where his camp was held. They actually have a shoot tomorrow so I will see if DS is interested in going.

briarrose
08-13-2016, 06:52 PM
My DS got started with archery as part of his martial arts class training. The kids love it! His sensei has a setup with hay bales and the large foam target cubes. They also shoot at milk jugs filled with water. We built a small range in our yard. We didn't want to deal with changing out hay, so we built a wooden frame and hung a thick rubber horse stall mat as a back stop. It's great! Word of warning, when the arrows are shot at the ground they will likely be swallowed up. We lost a few arrows that way. My DS uses a recurve bow. His sensei hates compound bows and my DS preferred the feel of the recurve. Hope it works out. My DS loves it and has gotten pretty good.

briarrose
08-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Forgot to say that my DS is 12 and has been target shooting with a bow for two years. This is a kid that has no interest in group sports.

94bruin
08-13-2016, 07:25 PM
Dd1(11) has been doing archery with a local club for the past year. I'd check to if there are any JOAD groups local to you. (Jr Olympic Archery Development - they call it that, but it's our club is very key.)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Baby Bargains mobile app

123LuckyMom
08-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Yes, look for a JOAD program! My sister got started in archery at camp, but joining a JOAD program enabled her to progress. She competed in the Worlds and missed the Olympic team by one spot. It's important to get the right equipment and learn good form. You'll also learn the correct distances at which to set up your home target.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

essnce629
08-14-2016, 06:19 AM
Hahaha, I first read this post earlier today when we were leaving our local archery park where DS1 (13 this week) just had his first private lesson! He did archery every day in his kids club at Club Med over the past two spring breaks and was interested in doing it at home. We are just really lucky that we happen to have an archery park just 4 miles away! They have 2 hour free beginner classes twice a week and private lessons as well. They also have a JOAD program you have to be pre-approved for. DS1 had a blast today. It was a 90 minute lesson and they provided all the equipment.