PDA

View Full Version : Vacation sleeping arrangement for 26 month old

fredct
08-15-2016, 10:26 PM
What should we do for a 26 month old on vacation? At home she's still in her crib. In the past she's always been in a play yard but she hasn't slept anywhere but home since 18 months back last Christmas. Can she still sleep in her playyard? I feel like she could escape a play yard, or tip it over, plus it's not very comfortable. Is there some way to make it a bit more comfortable?

123LuckyMom
08-16-2016, 08:33 AM
My children could escape both the crib and the playard by 11 months, but that didn't mean that they did. We used the pack n play for travel until the kids were too long to fit in them. They sometimes climbed out, but the playard didn't tip, and they were certainly less likely to escape the pack n play than they'd be to just get of a bed. At 2, your child's old enough to have a blanket or something on top of the mattress to provide some extra cushioning, but it's probably not necessary. Kids are less sensitive to sleeping on harder surfaces, it seems. Mine (who are much older) will still sleep in sleeping bags on the floor without complaining. I'd still take the pack n play. I doubt any of you will get much sleep if you use this vacation to try out a regular bed. If you want to do that, though, you can use pool noodles under the sheets for bumpers or buy bumpers like bed bugs. http://simplysensible.tripod.com/GOBEDBUG/PAGES/index.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

gymnbomb
08-16-2016, 08:49 AM
We recently traveled with ds at 27 months and he refused to get in his pack n play despite sleeping happily in his crib at home. He screamed and cried and would not lay down. So he ended up sleeping in bed with us. I was worried he wouldn't go back to his crib at home, but we have now taken 3 trips this summer where he sleeps with us on vacation then goes back to his crib at home. I would definitely try the pack n play first though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikey0709
08-16-2016, 08:59 AM
We used a Baby Bjorn Crib - - pricey, but for us WORTH EVERY PENNY! I think we used it until at least age 4 even, then sold it for 1/2 of what i paid for it. It wouldn't tip over, looked small - but the fit was fine. We used it everywhere from hotel rooms to tents! Even took it to a pool a few times. I had the original version - i'm sure it's been improved since then. LOVED how lightweight it was and easy to set up as compared to a pack n play.

http://www.babybjorn.com/baby-cradle-and-travel-crib/travel-crib-light/

DualvansMommy
08-16-2016, 09:36 AM
We used a Baby Bjorn Crib - - pricey, but for us WORTH EVERY PENNY! I think we used it until at least age 4 even, then sold it for 1/2 of what i paid for it. It wouldn't tip over, looked small - but the fit was fine. We used it everywhere from hotel rooms to tents! Even took it to a pool a few times. I had the original version - i'm sure it's been improved since then. LOVED how lightweight it was and easy to set up as compared to a pack n play.

http://www.babybjorn.com/baby-cradle-and-travel-crib/travel-crib-light/

This is what we had too; for DS1 and DS2. Usually take that with us for weekend trips away at tourist hotel spots. Used it every summer at our shore rental, and this summer may be be the last one to fit DS2. We're leaving in few days, so taking it with us and hope he can sleep comfortably in it. Otherwise, will sleep with me on the queen bed.

TwinFoxes
08-16-2016, 10:48 AM
We had the girls sleep in pack and plays when we went to WDW at that age. And that's when they discovered they could climb out of them and spent the entire vacation climbing in and out and trying to sneak into our room. Looking back, it was super cute. At the time, I just wanted to sleep. :) After that, we've always put them on a pull-out sofa or in another bed together.

JBaxter
08-16-2016, 11:22 AM
I co-slept the beds were usually Kings size

jennilynn
08-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Pallet on the floor.

rlu
08-16-2016, 12:02 PM
Pallet on the floor.

This would be my suggestion as well.

scrooks
08-16-2016, 12:14 PM
We still use a pack n play. My 3 yo ds slept in one for a couple of nights just a few weeks ago. My DC all napped in one at the sitter until they were 4. All were capable of climbing out but for the most part they stayed in.

On the rare occasions they would not sleep in their pnp and we had to resort to co sleeping it was awful. No one got any sleep BUT none of us are used to co sleeping. I'm sure if that is a regular thing in your house it would be fine.

And I will totally admit... Sleeping issues on vacation are one reason we don't travel a ton. I am really excited that by next summer ds1 will be 4 and in a bed and we will hopefully have turned the corner on worrying and stressing out over whether or not everyone will sleep!

bw52
08-16-2016, 02:32 PM
I still use pack n plays at that age for trips if she is still sleeping in her crib. If they have learned how to sleep in a bed at home by that age then .i will use a bed or air mattress on the floor--if I know she won't get up and walk away in the middle of the night--in a hotel, for example.

Or, I put her in bed between dh and i if i worry about her wandering in the middle of the night. Depends on the child.