PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom cabinet...over the toilet?

jennilynn
08-16-2016, 02:22 PM
I'm browsing photos on Pinterest trying to get ideas to remodel my guest bathroom and it seems none have a cabinet over the toilet. Open shelves maybe. Mine has a big oak cabinet with doors. I'm thinking of painting my bathroom cabinets but it seems weird to paint that one unless maybe white. OTOH I can envision my vanity cabinets navy or teal or something more fun. So what's in your bathroom? If you have open shelves does it stay Pinterest worthy lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abh5e8
08-16-2016, 06:59 PM
I've never had a cabinet over the toilet. Our last house had one but I removed it. I do have one open shelf over my toilet now. It's pretty high and I keep extra towels on it.

SnuggleBuggles
08-16-2016, 07:32 PM
I have a boring wood one that matches my other cabinets. I'd hate open shelving. Dusty.

bw52
08-16-2016, 07:54 PM
We're remodeling our bathroom and want to put one over our toilet. I have no idea if it's popular to do that now, but we have little space and try to squeeze storage in wherever we can. I could handle some open shelves, but definetly need a cabinet to hide/store the bulk of it.

cheme
08-16-2016, 07:57 PM
I have a boring wood one that matches my other cabinets. I'd hate open shelving. Dusty.

Yep, exactly that. My bathroom definitely isn't pinterest worthy though :)

Corie
08-16-2016, 08:10 PM
For some reason, I am a little grossed out by any type of shelving cabinets above the toilet. Especially open shelving.

And I'm not a germaphobe. So I'm not sure why it bothers me.

smilequeen
08-16-2016, 08:20 PM
I've never put a shelf over the toilet. What will you keep up there? There may be better ideas. For toilet paper, I'd rather have a nice holder...this is in our guest bath

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1160950&categoryId=cat3860040

I have a basket that I put rolled up towels in in there. It looks pinterest worthy unless someone is actually visiting. I don't have the neatest of relatives though.

essnce629
08-16-2016, 09:12 PM
I did a cheap bathroom remodel of my boys' bathroom 2 years ago and basically took ideas from Pinterest. I did 3 Ikea floating shelves over their toilet. This was the Pinterest pic I copied. We all never flush the toilet without closing the lid first so open shelves don't bother me.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160817/25095b62b823aec51b2e9896da4a6967.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

mackmama
08-16-2016, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't want open shelves over a toilet, but I like a closed cabinet. I'd paint it white. I like fun colors but I don't think that's the cabinet to draw attention to over the toilet kwim?

american_mama
08-16-2016, 09:51 PM
We are considering doing a cabinet over the toilet. I think the range of replies might reflect two things: 1) how much your need for space is in the bathroom and 2) how highly you value looks over function.

We have a tiny master bath (24 inch vanity, no other storage except wall storage possible). The bathroom is used heavily and my need for space trumps looks. NO way to make tampons and cleaning supplies look Pinterest worthy except behind a solid door. If I had a bigger master bath, or even enough room for some floor shelving, or a little used but small guest bath, I might be scratching my head at why anyone would want a cupboard over the toilet, but if you used my master bath, you'd understand pretty quick.

My DH floated the idea that there may be pipes to the toilet in the wall that would prevent a cabinet from being securely attached. He is just speculating. It might not be a factor at all.

niccig
08-16-2016, 09:56 PM
We have a white cabinet over the toilet. It holds so much stuff, I'd hate to lose it.

jennilynn
08-16-2016, 10:00 PM
I did a cheap bathroom remodel of my boys' bathroom 2 years ago and basically took ideas from Pinterest. I did 3 Ikea floating shelves over their toilet. This was the Pinterest pic I copied. We all never flush the toilet without closing the lid first so open shelves don't bother me.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160817/25095b62b823aec51b2e9896da4a6967.jpg

Yes, this is what I see a lot of. But then I realize my shelves would never look that pretty.

I do have a lot of cabinet space under the sink but I don't want razors and bandaids and stuff down there because the kids would get into it. I could paint the cabinet and wall white and see if it isn't so bulky.

essnce629
08-18-2016, 12:34 AM
This is my boys' bathroom with the Pinterest open shelves and my master bathroom with a closed cabinet. My master bathroom has pedestal sinks so I needed extra storage space for stuff I actually use. The boys' bathroom has a regular bathroom vanity with cabinet and 6 drawers so I already had plenty of usable storage in there.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160818/2b797ec7fcea778ea1bdd4145e9c9b35.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160818/bae380e32b457a0bb33b6aa896c2f66f.jpg

lalasmama
08-18-2016, 01:00 AM
We have oak cabinets above our toilet. It's just it's natural wood color. Only other color I would entertain would be white (to match doors, trim), but, alas, I'm scared of trying it!

Maybe it's because of my tmi pelvic issues (issues that require only using wipes, applying meds to the area daily, no tp, and, of course, normal feminine necessities), or the fact that we have a "water closet."... I can't imagine not having those cupboards, or having them as open shelving.

... And if you don't close the lid of your toilet, fecal and urine droplets can fly something like 6 feet, meaning everything up there could be covered in microscopic fecal contamination with open shelving.... Ewwwwww!