PDA

View Full Version : When do doctors do hearing screenings?

niccig
08-18-2016, 11:53 PM
Just wanting to know when Drs. typically do the hearing screenings in young children. I thought DS had it done at 2, but not sure.

Thanks.

georgiegirl
08-18-2016, 11:59 PM
My kids never had a hearing screen done at their doctors office. They had the newborn screen at birth, and then occasional testing at school. DS2 has had a few hearing screens with an audiologist because he's has recurrent ear infections and 2 sets of tubes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tenasparkl
08-19-2016, 12:07 AM
DS had one at his most recent ped appointment (he's 4). I think that was the first one, but I'm not positive.

niccig
08-19-2016, 12:29 AM
My kids never had a hearing screen done at their doctors office. They had the newborn screen at birth, and then occasional testing at school. DS2 has had a few hearing screens with an audiologist because he's has recurrent ear infections and 2 sets of tubes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DS is 11 and he's had 2 or 3 hearing screenings and vision screenings at the dr's office.

jerigirl
08-19-2016, 01:24 AM
I'm thinking we had one at our 4 yo check up. But I don't know if that was because they usually do that or because our preschool wanted proof of a hearing screening at that age.

marymoo86
08-19-2016, 07:03 AM
Newborn then another at 4

DualvansMommy
08-19-2016, 09:05 AM
Ours is newborn at the hospital & 2 year old checkup. It seems after 2nd birthdays, it is done annually. I just checked online, and so far both boys get it at their peds office as part of their annual physicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
08-19-2016, 09:23 AM
Newborn only. We paid for an extra one for ds2 at the pediatrician's office but the nurse was incompetent, didn't satisfactorily administer the test and still charged us. Grumble. We had asked the ped to do it bc the screening they did in preschool came up with some concerns. Frustrating. I think it's the Easter Seals that came to preschool each year and did a few assessments, including hearing.
Ds1 has never had more than the newborn and whatever the preschool thing was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama
08-19-2016, 09:45 AM
Newborn then 4yo well visit and then 5yo well visit for us so far

bw52
08-19-2016, 09:50 AM
Ours is right before entering kindergartern.

elephantmeg
08-19-2016, 09:58 AM
at the hospital as a NB and then at the 5 yo checkup. I think DD got one earlier because we asked because she had a ton of EI and kept saying "huh". Then the ENT did another and put her on a nose spray to cut back on the fluid she had and she's done great since

lalasmama
08-19-2016, 10:19 AM
Not all clinics do them. At my former clinic, we refer if there is a concern. Getting a 4 or 5 year old to perform a good hearing exam is like asking a chimpanzee to perform surgery. Often times, we wouldn't get any feedback from the child that they were hearing anything. An experienced assistant can usually get a fair idea if they are hearing something (the flicker in a child's eyes when hearing the sound is the most common, but still overall unreliable).

I had once clinic that used a hearing test that didn't require any feedback from the child (can't remember the name, it's been nearly 10 years)... But couldn't be done if there was much (any!) earwax. So we were still referring to an audiologist/ENT if we couldn't get a fair reading after cleaning their ears.

AnnieW625
08-19-2016, 10:22 AM
At birth and with Dd1 we had one done when she was two because she couldn't speak more than 5-7 words and she had a bunch of ear infections that wouldn't go away so we knew she would need tubes. The ped. referred us to the ENT and audiologist and it was done there. We had Kaiser then so everything was done in house. We had a great experience, and I do miss that about Kaiser.

I had Dd2's tested last fall and I did that by calling the ent's office and scheduling it myself as we have a PPO. There was no mention of a hearing test at her annual peds. visit.

calebsmama03
08-19-2016, 12:57 PM
Ours does it until they are in elementary school. THe kids are screened via school after that. I think they started around age 2?

BDKmom
08-20-2016, 08:40 AM
My kids (6 & 4) both got screened in the hospital at birth and again at their 4 year check up. My DS got a hearing screening at his 5 yr check up and they tried to do one at 6 but I declined because I had no concerns and our insurance didn't pay for the one at 5.

AngB
08-20-2016, 08:28 PM
DS had one at 5.

acmom
08-22-2016, 10:25 AM
My kids get some hearing test at their annual physicals (they were headphones and indicate when and which ear they hear a beep). They also do vision and hearing checks at the nurse in K and if you are a new student.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app