PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: Issues after ductless system instalation--should I pay?

JustMe
08-19-2016, 06:06 PM
So about a month ago I had a 2 unit ductless system installed. I was very specific about which rooms I needed to cover. The salesperson was very direct that it might not cover one room in my house, which I was okay with. I was direct that I need my living room and dining room to be covered (meaning heated in the winter, ac in the summer) by the system. He gave me every reason to believe it would be and that there would be no issues with those 2 rooms. Well, after install it is clear that the main unit, which is supposed to cover my living room and dining room does not cover the dining room at all. The back unit, which is supposed to cover all 3 bedrooms is difficult to assess at this time as I do not have it on all the time (just dont need that much ac)...but it seems probable it wont cover one of the bedrooms.

After lots of phone calls had 2 of the head guys come out. They basically said that just moving a unit, etc, won't improve things and admitted that a ductless system just didnt work well with the shape of my house. I have talked to one of the guys on the phone who tried to do a "he said, she said" thing with me and claim all sorts of various things that weren't true. The latest is that they will either put an additional unit in the dining room (for which I would pay $1333) or they can take the units out and I can get my money back.

I am not really thrilled with either of these and think they should pay for the 3rd unit, as they were clear with me now that it is needed and that was not discussed with me at all by the salesperson. I do want an estimate of what that would to to my electric bill as part of the reason I did this was, of course, to reduce that bill. Just taking the units out and getting my money back is not appealing as ceiling heat sucks..need I say more. The other last issue is that this doesn't solve the problem that one bedroom might not be covered well enough with the unit back there--but I have not intention of putting another unit back there.

So, would you fork over the $1333 for another unit and be happy the rooms you wanted the most were covered (except possibly one bedroom)? I have tried to get them to take financial responsibility as they basically sold me something that doesnt work for my house--and this is the best I have gotten.

WWYD? Advice, please and thank you!

gatorsmom
08-19-2016, 07:27 PM
It does sound like they are willing to admit that this system isn't working for your house the way they thought it would by offering to give your money back. Even though they made a mistake about the system not working well for your house, I can't see how that entitles you to a free, third unit. Is the $1333 a good price for a third unit? Im sure they would rather not have to give you your money back completely, maybe you could negotiate down the price of the third unit? If you explain that its either that or you want your money back, I bet they would work with you.

If it's true, that the system isn't a good fit for your house, what are your other options?

I just wanted to i say that after all you have been through lately, I hope you can get this to work out. :hug:

JustMe
08-20-2016, 12:23 PM
Thanks for your response gatorsmom!

I don't know if they are giving me any discount on the unit..it is a smaller one than the ones I already have and I had paid one price for all that had been done previously (install 3 units), so I don't know how much one would be. He claimed he was giving me a big discount, but not sure.

In any case, I was almost ready to just do it and not have to worry about the living room and dining rooms. However, the issue is that it is really hard to tell what the units will and won't cover when the house needs to be heated. Right now it is unusually hot where I live so, while we are using the ac, my house also runs cold--so I don't really know what they will and won't do as far as the heat.

I am almost wondering if I need to find something different to do for the 3 back bedrooms as there is no way I want to install another unit back there. There are 2 small rooms and one bigger one...I am wondering if I need to find out about wall heat or something else for those rooms. I am not sure what other options there could be so if anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Ducted heat is not a choice due to the expense and that I have asbestos in the ceiling and don't want to mess with that.