PDA

View Full Version : really bad experience sending unaccompanied minor on jet blue today

knaidel
08-22-2016, 09:21 PM
I am so aggrivated with sending my 8 year old on Jet Blue today.

We got to the airport, went through security, and arrived at the gate. The crew at the gate took the paperwork. I asked how long I need to wait at the airport for. I was told to wait there until the electronic screen showed the flight's status at "Taxiing."
The flight was scheduled for 8:15am. Boarding was a bit delayed, the finished boarding at 8:35, and I saw the plane push back from the jetway at about 8:45.

I checked the screen and the status said, "Taxiing." I went to the restroom, and came back to the gate. In the few minutes that I was gone, the gate crew had left. The screen was now showing a flight to New Orleans, and there was a new set of staff members there. So I left.

My mom (who he was visiting and scheduled to pick him up at 11:15 am!) called me at 10:40am-- as I was getting on the i-95--- saying the plane hadn't even departed yet! My kid was sitting on the tarmac for 2.5 hours! My mom also mentioned to me that there are rules that if a plane sits longer than 3 hours, they send everyone back to the gate. So I called JetBlue, and of course, no one could tell me ANYTHING. The woman could not tell me if the plane had left or when it was scheduled to leave. So I turned around and drove back to the airport . My main concern was that the plane would be sent back to the gate and I wouldn't be there to pick up my 8 year old son! In addition to driving back to the airport, I would also need to wait in the lines 1)to receive a gate pass and 2) security. Those lines can easily take 45 minutes on a busy summer day. So of course, I asked the woman at the 1-800 number if there was a way that I could be expedited through the lines. She said, "I'm sorry, I don't have any way of doing that." I was like, "Um, hello-- it's 2016....I find it hard to believe that there is no way to allow me to skip the line when I have an 8 year old kid waiting for me. In a busy airport. by himself. What exactly did I pay an extra $200 for?" ($100 each way for unaccompanied minor)

Here is what I am annoyed about:

1) The status said "taxiing" when it never taxied. Then, all the gate crew left...so there wasn't even anyone to ask.
2) when I called, no one could give me any information
3) no one seemed to care about an 8 y.o. kid possibly waiting at the gate for me

So I turned around and went back to Logan. I pulled into that stupid expensive parking lot. Just as I pulled into a space.....my husband texted me. The plane had JUST departed....at about 11:40am! I turned around (again) and finally got home at about 1pm.

My other son has flown on Southwest unaccompanied before, and that was much more organized....There was no paperwork for a kid to carry with him (it was all electronic), it was cheaper ($50 each way vs. $100), and you are NOT allowed to leave until the gate crew tells you. A staff member stayed at the gate until the plane was in the air. Only then was I allowed to leave.

Later in the day, I received an email:

Dear knaidel's son:

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced on JetBlue Flight #xxx. We understand how challenging it is when your travel plans are disrupted.

As a gesture of apology and goodwill, we have issued each person on this flight a service credit in the amount of $100.*

As if I am sending him alone on JetBlue again. No thanks!

All's well that ends well. I spoke to my kid at around 7:15pm. My mom took him directly from the airport to the supermarket and he picked out all the yummy snacks we never buy. Now, he is in pjs, watching the RedSox game on grandma's couch.

TwinFoxes
08-22-2016, 10:07 PM
That sounds really frustrating. I have never seen a status of "taxiing" before. I've seen "boarding" and "departed." Is this only a Jet Blue thing? I'm glad your DS made it safe in sound. I don't see myself sending DDs unaccompanied until they are much older. They aren't good decision makers in a crisis.

gatorsmom
08-22-2016, 10:35 PM
What a nightmare! Like you, I'm confused why JetBlue thinks that experience should cost $200. Instead of that pathetic $100 credit they should have given you your $200 back. I just don't see how they provided a $200 service. How scary.

Thank you for the warning about JetBlue!

ShanaMama
08-22-2016, 11:37 PM
That sounds so aggravating. If you want to push it further you can try emailing JetBlue what you posted here. It sounds like that $100 was sent to every passenger, not specifically to your son.

On a slightly related note, I had a nightmare of a flight as an unaccompanied minor, I must have been in 7th grade, so around 12ish? I flew from NY to Memphis. Similar to you, my mother put me on the plane, waited until we left the gate and left the airport. Well, there was a crack in the windshield so we never actually took off. The details are fuzzy now whether we actually left the gate. But they actually deplaned us and had us board another plane to ATLANTA and then make a connecting flight to Memphis. This was pre-cell phone days and I was either too shy or nervous- I didn't think of asking the flight attendant to call my mom. I remember trying to make a call from the in flight phone but couldn't figure out how. My parents and the friends that were waiting for me in Memohis were absolutely frantic until I landed in Atlanta and finally called them. I had no choice but board the next flight and go on to Memphis. I have no recollection of what airline it was, but I'm sure my mother does. She was a lot more traumatized than I was!

o_mom
08-23-2016, 06:55 AM
How frustrating!

Would he really have been waiting by himself if they got back to the gate? I thought the point of the fee was for them to assign someone to watch him?

knaidel
08-23-2016, 06:57 AM
That sounds so aggravating. If you want to push it further you can try emailing JetBlue what you posted here. It sounds like that $100 was sent to every passenger, not specifically to your son.

On a slightly related note, I had a nightmare of a flight as an unaccompanied minor, I must have been in 7th grade, so around 12ish? I flew from NY to Memphis. Similar to you, my mother put me on the plane, waited until we left the gate and left the airport. Well, there was a crack in the windshield so we never actually took off. The details are fuzzy now whether we actually left the gate. But they actually deplaned us and had us board another plane to ATLANTA and then make a connecting flight to Memphis. This was pre-cell phone days and I was either too shy or nervous- I didn't think of asking the flight attendant to call my mom. I remember trying to make a call from the in flight phone but couldn't figure out how. My parents and the friends that were waiting for me in Memohis were absolutely frantic until I landed in Atlanta and finally called them. I had no choice but board the next flight and go on to Memphis. I have no recollection of what airline it was, but I'm sure my mother does. She was a lot more traumatized than I was!

Oh wow! I can imagine your poor mom being frantic!

Yes, thank you for clarifying--- the $100 credit was sent to every passenger on the flight.

The reason I sent on Jet Blue is because they fly to West Palm beach, which is easier for my parents than Fort Lauderdale. Even though I booked it, they made a very generous offer to pay for it. Because it was on their bill, I felt like I should send JB and make it easier for them. Next time, it's southwest, even if it's to Fort Lauderdale.

My husband pointed out something else-- this episode was from Logan, which is obviously a lot busier and hectic than our local airport-- Providence. My husband thinks that this was less likely to happen in Providence....the gate crew would have been less rushed to get over to another gate to deal with another flight. And even if they had left to another gate, the PVD airport is so small, it would have been easy for me to find them at the next gate and confirm that the plane left. Logan is huge, with JetBlue using almost the whole C terminal (more than 30 gates). PVD has 20 gates TOTAL

You know what I'm most annoyed about? That when I called and asked to be expedited through the line if necessary....they were like, "Sorry. I don't have a way to do that." I mean please.... you figure out a way to get your upgraded customers through the line quickly. You figure out how to get your wheelchair customers through the line quickly. You can't figure out how to get the mom of a stranded 8 year old kid through the line quickly?

wellyes
08-23-2016, 07:45 AM
I've had good experiences on Jet Blue but over time I've learned to not trust their online flight status. I've had my husband late/early to pick me up several times due to inaccuracies.

If I were you I'd complain to management about the taxiing miscommunication --- 100% their fault --- and get compensated for it.

I think the best safeguard might be to give the kid a phone with texting. He's ok to call / text until they go for liftoff, and right after they land-- so you could be in direct contact always except when in the air.

NCGrandma
08-23-2016, 08:17 AM
My husband pointed out something else-- this episode was from Logan, which is obviously a lot busier and hectic than our local airport-- Providence. My husband thinks that this was less likely to happen in Providence....the gate crew would have been less rushed to get over to another gate to deal with another flight. And even if they had left to another gate, the PVD airport is so small, it would have been easy for me to find them at the next gate and confirm that the plane left. Logan is huge, with JetBlue using almost the whole C terminal (more than 30 gates). PVD has 20 gates TOTAL
?

No experience with sending or meeting unaccompanied minors, but lots of experience with PVD and Southwest. I just got home from there and I can't imagine something similar happening . PVD is such a manageable airport and most everyone I've dealt with there has been helpful and friendly. I'm so glad that PVD is easier for my family than Logan. I would hate dealing with Logan even as a seasoned adult traveler.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

knaidel
08-23-2016, 09:34 AM
I think the best safeguard might be to give the kid a phone with texting. He's ok to call / text until they go for liftoff, and right after they land-- so you could be in direct contact always except when in the air.

that's an excellent idea. I am more of the school of thought "why do my kids need cell phones....I never had one at such a young age....." but for the next time I send anyone unaccompanied..... a really good idea!

KpbS
08-23-2016, 09:42 AM
that's an excellent idea. I am more of the school of thought "why do my kids need cell phones....I never had one at such a young age....." but for the next time I send anyone unaccompanied..... a really good idea!

We have an inexpensive flip phone with renewable minutes/service in lieu of a "house phone" that travels with the kids on the rare occasion they need one out and about.

army_mom
08-23-2016, 04:40 PM
How frustrating! The flight status things are usually so delayed and wrong it's irritating. They probably not pushed back off the gate because then their flight is 'on time' even if they knew they had a long wait for whatever reason to take off (what took so long?!?!). Also, I am pretty sure they would have had to have an agent with your son as that is the whole point of an UM on a plane and the paperwork?? I would sure hope so. When your parents picked him up did they have to sign paperwork or show ID before they released your son to them or did they let him off the plane with everyone else?? Good to know to avoid jet blue when we need UM services!! Glad your son finally made it and is enjoying being spoiled by his grandparents [emoji4]

knaidel
08-23-2016, 05:24 PM
O_mom and army mom, you are right (I just realized)--- they would have had a crew member wait with him while someone picked him up. However, I can totally imagine him being freaked out waiting in a busy airport with a stranger. (However, that's not JetBlue's problem!) Yes, they looked at my ID before check in and checked my mom's ID before allowing him to leave. Of course it helped that he waved to her and called out "Grandma, over here, " (but of course did not rely on that alone!) :)

In short, if you are sending an unaccompanied minor:
send kid with a cell phone
a smaller, less crowded, airport is preferable if possible
JetBlue charges high fees and has unreliable status updates. Process was not so efficient.
Southwest seems more efficient in handling UAs. Cheaper, too!

ShanaMama
08-23-2016, 09:42 PM
I've had good experiences on Jet Blue but over time I've learned to not trust their online flight status. I've had my husband late/early to pick me up several times due to inaccuracies.

If I were you I'd complain to management about the taxiing miscommunication --- 100% their fault --- and get compensated for it.

Great idea about giving the child traveler a phone with texting. My kids don't have phones but we are probably going to get an extra cheap phone for occasions like these, and excursions when they are away from us.

jam224
08-24-2016, 06:04 PM
OP, so sorry to hear about your frustration! Are you familiar with Flight Aware? I always use it when I need to track flights. It has been SO helpful! I thought I would mention it, in case you didn't know about it!

sdjeppa
08-24-2016, 10:14 PM
Wow, what a nightmare! My DS has only flown unaccompanied once, and I had to wait at the gate until the flight was in the air before the gate attendants would let me leave. I have never seen "taxiing" as a flight status either?

knaidel
08-25-2016, 11:33 AM
I didn't know about Flight Aware...I will look into it.

Here is the LAME response I received from JetBlue:

Dear Knaidel,

Thank you for contacting JetBlue. We are sorry for any miscommunication you received regarding
your son and his flight.

It does look like there was a gate return after taxiing. We apologize that you were not aware of
this and had to learn from you mom that he was delayed.

I can see a $100 credit was issued for the trouble. We hope you or your son will use it to give us
another chance in the future.

Thanks for choosing JetBlue, we hope your son's flight goes well on Friday.

Sincerely,

Meredith
JetBlue | Customer Commitment

123LuckyMom
08-25-2016, 06:10 PM
I didn't know about Flight Aware...I will look into it.

Here is the LAME response I received from JetBlue:

Dear Knaidel,

Thank you for contacting JetBlue. We are sorry for any miscommunication you received regarding
your son and his flight.

It does look like there was a gate return after taxiing. We apologize that you were not aware of
this and had to learn from you mom that he was delayed.

I can see a $100 credit was issued for the trouble. We hope you or your son will use it to give us
another chance in the future.

Thanks for choosing JetBlue, we hope your son's flight goes well on Friday.

Sincerely,

Meredith
JetBlue | Customer Commitment

Wow! That is a seriously lame response! Jet Blue used to be my go to airline, but they've become as bad as all the others. I'm so sorry you had that experience! I would have been a wreck, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

ShanaMama
08-25-2016, 10:54 PM
Ya that is lame!! "You got your $100 what more do you want?!"

knaidel
08-26-2016, 08:11 AM
WOW! I love this Flight Aware tracker that someone mentioned up thread. My son is coming home today, and I can see that the actual plane left Newark on time this morning and is currently hovering over the border between Georgia and FL. It tells me that the flight was on time most of the time in the past two weeks. Once it was cancelled. Very neat tool-- great for airport pickups!

NCGrandma
08-26-2016, 09:39 AM
WOW! I love this Flight Aware tracker that someone mentioned up thread. My son is coming home today, and I can see that the actual plane left Newark on time this morning and is currently hovering over the border between Georgia and FL. It tells me that the flight was on time most of the time in the past two weeks. Once it was cancelled. Very neat tool-- great for airport pickups!

Flight Aware is great. It also seems to have really good international coverage (not just the major airlines, either). I've used it a lot when a family member has traveled throughout Brazil, to keep track of where she is.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

ahisma
09-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Seems they've been dropping the ball across the board on the unaccompanied minor service. http://jezebel.com/jetblue-put-two-5-year-olds-on-the-wrong-dang-flights-1786071673?utm_campaign=socialflow_jezebel_faceboo k&utm_source=jezebel_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

jgenie
09-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Seems they've been dropping the ball across the board on the unaccompanied minor service. http://jezebel.com/jetblue-put-two-5-year-olds-on-the-wrong-dang-flights-1786071673?utm_campaign=socialflow_jezebel_faceboo k&utm_source=jezebel_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I saw that this morning and immediately thought of this thread.

trcy
09-01-2016, 07:43 PM

Wow! That's awful! That poor mother!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

TwinFoxes
09-02-2016, 09:00 AM
OMG! The poor moms/dads. (I doubt the kids had a clue.)

I do have to say, I loved the writing. I was laughing at "What happened was what those in the biz like to call the old Unaccompanied Minor Switcheroo. You know, a Mid-Air Mix-Up. A classic Flyin’ Child Oopsy Daisy. "

JBaxter
09-02-2016, 09:33 AM
its horrible but I laughed at the comments... "Did the mom give the new kid a chance maybe it was an upgrade" SMH

Twoboos
09-02-2016, 11:07 AM
I saw that this morning and immediately thought of this thread.

Me, too!

kcimato
09-02-2016, 09:47 PM
We had almost the exact same experience with my 11 year old grandson, only with Southwest Airlines. My DGS was flying home after visiting us and my DH took him to the airport. We have 3 major airports here but the one furthest from us is way cheaper and a direct flight. I stayed back home and after 30 minutes I decided to check the status. It said it was delayed. I called DH and he was halfway home and said DGH was on the plane and it had pulled back from the gate and left. The gate attendants said he could leave. He went to the bathroom and when he came back he said no one was at the gate. Meanwhile , my daughter calls and is frantic
. Her DH is at the gate at the receiving end and had a text from my DGS saying they were delayed. My son in law said there was no information about the flight on their end. No one in or around the gate could not tell h the gate knew nothing about the expected arrival.After two hours it was finally in the air. It didn't phase my DGS in the least. He had his Nook with him and most likely had finished two books.This was very scary and frightening for all of us.

JElaineB
09-02-2016, 10:03 PM
Given the bad press and what seems like rather frequent issues with the unaccompanied minor service, it wouldn't surprise me if one or more airlines completely discontinued this service.

Kindra178
09-03-2016, 07:23 AM
We had almost the exact same experience with my 11 year old grandson, only with Southwest Airlines. My DGS was flying home after visiting us and my DH took him to the airport. We have 3 major airports here but the one furthest from us is way cheaper and a direct flight. I stayed back home and after 30 minutes I decided to check the status. It said it was delayed. I called DH and he was halfway home and said DGH was on the plane and it had pulled back from the gate and left. The gate attendants said he could leave. He went to the bathroom and when he came back he said no one was at the gate. Meanwhile , my daughter calls and is frantic
. Her DH is at the gate at the receiving end and had a text from my DGS saying they were delayed. My son in law said there was no information about the flight on their end. No one in or around the gate could not tell h the gate knew nothing about the expected arrival.After two hours it was finally in the air. It didn't phase my DGS in the least. He had his Nook with him and most likely had finished two books.This was very scary and frightening for all of us.

In both your's and the op's situation, the plane had pulled back from the gate and there wasn't really anything anyone could do. As long as the folks on the plane don't deplane, all travelers on the plane are safe. Was that what you were worried about?

So cute he didn't realize the delay!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

TwinFoxes
09-03-2016, 09:56 AM

Isn't this just a delayed flight? I mean, it happens. I don't think it's possible to expect flights with UAMs to not be delayed, and sometimes, maybe most times, airline employees have no idea how long a delay will be. I am sorry it was a scary experience, but I'm not sure why it was so scary. He was safe on the plane, his flight was just late.

egoldber
09-03-2016, 10:12 AM
I think the issue is they were delayed on the ground. At some point they could have decided to go back to the gate and perhaps even cancel the flight. I have been on that flight! It's not necessarily scary but it is definitely irritating and a hassle to have to go back to an airport.

My oldest has flown a few times as an UAM and DH makes sure that the plane is in the air before he leaves the airport. But it isn't always easy to tell.