PDA

View Full Version : Have you been a room parent?

mackmama
08-23-2016, 01:18 PM
Our class needs a room parent, and no one is stepping up. I feel like I have a lot on my plate right now but am considering it. For those who have done it... Was it a positive experience? Negative? Lots of work?

SnuggleBuggles
08-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Every school is different. Our school's room parents are mostly behind the scenes sending out emails. They can recruit help if there are parties- some don't do anything with parties because other class volunteers are willing to do them. Even within our school different teachers want different things. I've been a room parent many times so I obviously find it a positive experience. I like being seen as a helper to our teachers and someone that will make their lives easier.
Look around on your school's various websites and see if there are any details about what room parents are expected to do at your school. None of us can really tell you waht it will be like. And only you can decide if you'd value the extra work.

anonomom
08-23-2016, 01:45 PM
I've done it twice, and both times were basically positive. The work required depends heavily on the teacher -- some ask a lot of their room moms, some don't. At the very least, you should be responsible for communicating with parents and recruiting volunteers for things like centers, learning experiences (aka class parties), teacher appreciation, field trips, etc. In some schools, the room parent also coordinates a birthday and/or end-of-year gift for the teacher.

You can always ask the teacher what she needs from a room mom, and see if there's another parent who would be willing to share those duties with you.

California
08-23-2016, 03:11 PM
As PP have said- the obligations really depend on the school culture and the teacher. Ask a lot of questions to find out what you'll be responsible for. I like being room parent when my work allows. Gives me a chance to get to know the students, teacher, and other parents better.

Questions I'd ask:
How will I communicate with parents?
How often do you like parents volunteering in class, and what are the best ways we can help you?
How often are there classroom parties and what kind of help do you like for them?

And... the money questions.
The biggest hassle I've seen room parents experience is with fundraisers and class gifts. If you don't already know, I'd ask up front: Is the class expected to contribute a basket, art project or both to a silent auction fundraiser? Find out if there are any guidelines for teacher gifts. Are there any guidelines for contributions to class parties (one time payment at beginning of year to cover all party costs, or do parents send in food- if food, does school require it be store-bought?)

As far as teacher gifts go, I've had the best luck with providing a "giving tree" that kids can clip cards to or put presents under. Families are invited to contribute a handmade card by their child, with or without a gift card. The kids attach their card to the tree at school. I ask the teacher if they like Starbucks, smoothie places, what stores they frequent, and share that info with families. I've done giving trees for Christmas and for teacher appreciation.

If you rather do a class gift, either keep it open ended and give a gift card of the amount parents contribute. Or if it's an item the teacher needs (for instance a new class rug), make sure you are okay paying extra to cover parents who promise to contribute but don't come through.

Momit
08-23-2016, 03:22 PM
I've done it and enjoyed it. The responsibilities are carefully outlined by our PTO. You help with 2 parties and the field day at the end of the year. No extra work, no coordinating a group gift (school encourages contributions to a gift card fund for each teacher).

Kindra178
08-23-2016, 03:36 PM
I do it every year. I work full time and have three kids who play two sports each a season every season. The trick is that you are in charge of coordinating but volunteers do everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

mom2binsd
08-23-2016, 04:07 PM
I have done it twice, while being a single parent and working outside the home full time, so it's doable. I was able to attend one of the parties, but it's not necessary to be there for all three parties. It mostly involved emails etc.

Dayzy
08-23-2016, 07:59 PM
I loved doing it and would do it again in a heartbeat. In fact, another mom volunteered before I did this past year and when my DS's friend's found out he said they weren't happy about it... oops!
I collected money and email addresses at the start of school. I planned the parties (an oriental trading type craft and food), and I had to purchase a large prize for the auction our school has. I loved getting to know DS's friends and it got me out of my shell to talk to the other parents more.

DualvansMommy
08-23-2016, 08:41 PM
Really depends on your school culture and teachers expectations. We had a room mom who ended up doing a lot of work, but she enjoyed it as had the time.

She would do mass emails to communicate school wide and class events, create sign up sheets for classroom parties (Halloween, thanksgiving, winter holiday, Easter egg hunt, etc)

Collected monies to contribute for those above events and bday gifts for the teachers, teachers appreciation week, and our aide was getting married so she organized wedding gift for her from the class.

Our school has lots of involved parents, so like I said culture matters. It seems a lot of work but everyone stepped up when asked to bring in items, volunteer etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk