PDA

View Full Version : If your school does supply boxes...

anonomom
08-24-2016, 04:38 PM
How are they distributed? Our PTA offered them for the first time this year, and we delivered them to classrooms today. It took 5 hours of hard work. We're wondering if there's an easier way for next year, like maybe having families pick them up during Meet the Teacher. I'm wondering how your schools do it.

We have about 1000 kids in the school, so it's a big job even if only 20% participate.

mikala
08-24-2016, 04:41 PM
Our school just started doing it and is having parents pick up the boxes from the cafeteria during our meet the teacher/supply dropoff event a few days before school starts.

sadbunny
08-24-2016, 05:15 PM
We go to a big school as well and all of the boxes are delivered to the teacher's classrooms (I guess by our PTA!) I hope they make money off it because it does seem like a lot of work and the supplies are not cheap.

Dayzy
08-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Ours all come in labeled with the students names so I think they just alphabetize them. There are 2 evenings before school starts where we go to the school gym and get our boxes.

mom2binsd
08-24-2016, 05:38 PM
Our K-5 school of about 500 students has done it for year. They do a pick up in August about 1 week before school starts, from about 4-7pm, they have about 3 parents from the PTO organize it and they hand out from the gym. The parents usually have a few of their students help, it's not difficult, just cumbersome, but kids like helping. The just sort by grade (each box is marked with the students name.).

I think you should consider handing them out BEFORE school, then the parents can label anything that should be labeled.

I LOVED being able to return from vacation 2 days before school and knew that I didn't have to buy supplies. I had a friend pick up my supply kit for me as we were away.

Kids that didn't pick up could pick up the first day of school, the PTO sells planners and has a table in the front lobby with apparel samples as well.

TwinFoxes
08-24-2016, 06:46 PM
We do them. When I was on the PTA board we delivered to the classrooms. We have around the same population as your school, but it didn't take five hours. Maybe three. Many hands make light work, we had lots of volunteers. Of course the other parents who didn't volunteer acted like fairies delivered them to their kids' desks...

twowhat?
08-24-2016, 06:48 PM
Fairies delivered them to the kids' desks on Meet the Teacher night.

elizabethkott
08-24-2016, 07:05 PM
Sorted by grade level and name, pick up in the main lobby on meet the teacher day. The family and student have to deliver to the classroom and the teacher usually has each student unpack the box and sort. No one is there to "check out" the boxes; it's sort of an honor system that no one takes someone's box. There hasn't been a problem with that... Yet... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

jerigirl
08-24-2016, 08:15 PM
Our school has the school supply committee (in charge of the order each year etc.) plus helpers distribute the kits to the classrooms in time for Meet the Teacher. By the first day of school, the teachers have already opened and distributed and labeled all of the supplies as needed.

IansMom
08-24-2016, 08:55 PM
Fairies delivered them to the kids' desks on Meet the Teacher night.

:yeahthat:

nfceagles
08-24-2016, 10:57 PM
We do them. When I was on the PTA board we delivered to the classrooms. We have around the same population as your school, but it didn't take five hours. Maybe three. Many hands make light work, we had lots of volunteers. Of course the other parents who didn't volunteer acted like fairies delivered them to their kids' desks...

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vonfirmath
08-25-2016, 08:54 AM
How are they distributed? Our PTA offered them for the first time this year, and we delivered them to classrooms today. It took 5 hours of hard work. We're wondering if there's an easier way for next year, like maybe having families pick them up during Meet the Teacher. I'm wondering how your schools do it.

We have about 1000 kids in the school, so it's a big job even if only 20% participate.

They are sitting on the student's desk on the first day of school.

anonomom
08-25-2016, 09:41 AM
Thanks, all. We only had two parents (and two very helpful kids) distributing, and it was our first time doing it, so it took a looooong time. Next year, we'll have a larger team working on it or we'll have them available for pickup at Meet the Teacher. :-)